She wants REAR-facing, what should I do?

sprintsero

My oldest has been FF since she was 1 yr old, but last week, I have move all my 3 kids onto 2nd row and put them all RF. My oldest love it, she no longer "fighting" her harness (she been doing that since she was 6 months old!).

But yesterday, I realized she has outgrown her Britax Marathon or Decathon, so today, I move her onto a Graco Nautilus FF and she hate it. She start her fighting with the harness again. She want to RF. Maybe something about restless legs, when she FF.

She is 5 yrs old, 44 lbs, 44" head-to-toes. GN manufactured in April 2008.

Is it okay for me to put the GN RF?

Thanks for the help!

ADS

flutie128

The Nautilus is not a rear facing seat. At her weight there is nothing currently available that will rear face her since she is 44 pounds. The Radian only rear faces to 45 pounds.

Aurezalia

Unfortunately, the Graco Nautilus is a forward-facing ONLY seat. Under no circumstances can it ever be installed rear-facing.
Unfortunately, the only American seat left that she would still fit in only rear-faces to 45 pounds. There are no other seat on the market that go to a higher rear-facing limit. It appears her only option is forward-facing. :(

sprintsero

oh no... she will be so disappointed. I kinda mentioned I will RF her when we get home from a birthday party earlier today. I didn't know GN is for FF only.

Since she outgrow the BM & BD, by couple of inches, it is unsafe to put her RF on those seats right?

Thank you ladies for the help.

flutie128

The Britax seats you own only rear face to either 33 or 35 pounds. So, yes it is unsafe to rear face her in those seats.

AmieRubyJonah

Yes, definitely unsafe. She needs at lease 1 inch of hard shell above her head. She has also outgrown them by weight. Only 2 seats (that I know of) RF to 45lb, the radian XTSL and radian 80sl. Not worth buying one for only 1 more pound.

urchin_grey

Yep, sorry. :( She is way, way too heavy to RF in any of the convertible seats your currently own and it is most definitely unsafe to use a seat over the weight limit.

sprintsero

- have her lose weight :p

- keep harness, have her continue with her battle with the harness/buckle

- switch over to seatbelt but 3 in a row is too tight to buckle.

oh boy...:(

urchin_grey

- have her lose weight :p

- keep harness, have her continue with her battle with the harness/buckle

- switch over to seatbelt but 3 in a row is too tight to buckle.

oh boy...:(

I'd say try a narrower booster, IF she will sit properly in it. The Nautilus in booster mode may be too wide, but the Graco Turbo Booster is pretty narrow. You can pick one up for about $45 (she would need the high back version at this age).

AmieRubyJonah

I wouldn't switch to booster and belt. If you battle with her and the harness, it sounds like she will lack the maturity to sit correctly 100% of the time in a seatbelt.

Aurezalia

I wouldn't switch to booster and belt. If you battle with her and the harness, it sounds like she will lack the maturity to sit correctly 100% of the time in a seatbelt.

I don't agree. This sounds like a situation where being faced with the knowledge that child can either, A) Sit in a booster properly, following all the rules, or B) Have to go back into the harness that they don't like, you'll find that children can be very capable of choosing option A. ;)

sprintsero

We have a 2nd GN in our 2nd suv which we use a seatbelt and she is fine. It's the buckle between her legs that bother her. She would pull and tighten her legs until she tired. With seatbelt, I don't think she would do that. But, I just feel it isn't as safe as the harness at this age.

Maybe I'll put a footrest so her legs isn't dangling. Which might also bother her.

cookie123

Try putting something on the floor for her feet. Maybe that would help. A rolled up sleeping bag or a cheap styrofoam cooler or anything that isn't too hard - so if it became a projectile in an accident, it wouldn't hurt anyone.

AmieRubyJonah

I don't agree. This sounds like a situation where being faced with the knowledge that child can either, A) Sit in a booster properly, following all the rules, or B) Have to go back into the harness that they don't like, you'll find that children can be very capable of choosing option A. ;)

You could be right. :) just from the info the OP posted (been doing this since 6mo), it just seemed to me that it wasn't a "new" thing because the harness is now bothering her, but more that she doesn't "get" car safety.

I could be totally off base, it's JMO.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At her age and weight, provided she can sit properly, there are no data to say she's safer in a harness or in a booster. If the seatbelt works better for her, then go ahead and use that.

Wendy

sprintsero

When she did RF just several days, I noticed she stop fighting the harness/buckle. She started again, 5 mins into the FF with harness/buckle. Yes, this problem has been going on for years.

Something about RF and resting her feet help stoping that habit.

AmieRubyJonah

If money is no issue, and you don't have a problem with going illegal, you could look into importing a britax multi tech thy RFs to 55lb.

Holly

I have a plastic stool in my car that we use so my dd who sits in the middle can climb in her seat easier (the middle spot is a little higher up than the outboard spots). It's a cheap IKEA booster and it has holes on the sides of it.
I bought some plastic buckles and webbing from the craft section at Walmart and I have it threaded through the holes on the sides of the stool and they also run around the inner most legs of the 2 front seats and then they come back around and buckle together. I should get a picture of it to explain it better. Basically, it's buckled to the front seat legs so it would not be a projectile in a crash, but dd uses it to climb up in her seat. She can almost reach to rest her feet on it while sitting in her seat. If it were a little higher, she definitely could.
She doesn't complain about leg pain from her legs dangling, but if she did, I wouldn't hesitate to find a higher stool that I could buckle in the same way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC