Harness tightening strap fraying around the edges

JMacSanDiego

I have the Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL (purchased in August 2010) carseat for my son. Anyhow, I have been noticing that the strap you pull to tighten the harness is fraying slightly around the edges. This is probably not a safety issue, but I'm worried that it might fray further with use, and one day it'll rip apart. I don't know if it's very visible in this picture, but it's fraying more on one side. Anyone else have this issue?
003-1.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

cryswilkins

I had this happen to all of my Britax seats with use. Some fuzziness is normal, and completely safe. I had one that looked MUCH worse than that and when I took it off the seat to replace it, I could see that it really wasn't as bad as it looked. I would be totally fine using the seat with the adjuster strap in that condition.

I know mine looks the same, but it is an 11/09 I just discovered it and contacted Russ, but it is not under warrenty so I am not sure what will happen, I am kind of screwed if I can't use it anymore honestly.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd call that fuzzing, not fraying. It's not terribly uncommon on adjuster straps of all sorts. I'd have no problem continuing to use it. Keep an eye on it, though, in case it gets worse. Usually, though, it just fuzzes a bit then stops.

Baylor

That would bother me. With all you pay for those seats.. I have had Evenflo, Gracos.. and never had any problem with straps or latches or anything..

That would bother me. With all you pay for those seats.. I have had Evenflo, Gracos.. and never had any problem with straps or latches or anything..
I agree, it does bother me that radians are having problems, any seat I pay a lot for I get really annoyed if they have problems.

Maggie

Eh, I've had it happen with my My Ride and it's currently happening on my Scenera.

I have fuzzing like that on my Marathon, True Fit and Safe Seat 1 too.

Doesn't bother me at all. Something fed through metal over and over again is going to get a little fuzzy. :twocents:

Angela

Question for those who have the 'fuzzies'... Do you adjust the harness every time someone uses it? I've had that problem with every single seat I've had, but I also adjust the straps every time it's used.

Baylor

Also my graco manual says that if ANY fraying occurs to discontinue use and contact Graco. To me that "fuzziness" means that the strap is softening.. I would not use it. I am not a tech or an expert but as a mom,I would get new straps.

Keeanh

I know mine looks the same, but it is an 11/09 I just discovered it and contacted Russ, but it is not under warrenty so I am not sure what will happen, I am kind of screwed if I can't use it anymore honestly.

I wonder if he's ever heard of such a thing happening before... :whistle:

Maggie

Fraying and fuzzing are two TOTALLY different things.

Fraying? Yes, that is a serious issue that should be taken care of.

The picture above is fuzzing, IMO.

This
is a fray. One that would make me stop using my seat until it was replaced.

A little fuzzing like above is not a huge deal, to me anyway. If I called everytime my harness looked like that they'd probably block my number. :p

Baylor

I disagree. If you look at that straps you can see movement of the fraying working towards the middle of the strap.. It may be fuzzy at the ends but it is moving inward.. AS for that picture in the other thread? THat is not fraying.. THat is a cut in the belt..

Either way, I would not use them for my kids seats.

Maggie

Question for those who have the 'fuzzies'... Do you adjust the harness every time someone uses it? I've had that problem with every single seat I've had, but I also adjust the straps every time it's used.

Out of the 4 I own that are fuzzy (MA, Scenera, TFR, & SS1) the only one adjusted daily is the Scenera.

The other ones are adjusted maybe once or twice a week.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Crunchy and I each had fuzziness on our Coccoro adjuster straps. Hers fuzzed on the right, mine on the left (I think). Her's was installed on the driver's side, mine on the passenger side.

We determined that it fuzzed toward the side of the door it was installed next to, because we tended to pull slightly in that direction as we were tightening.

JMacSanDiego

Thank you ladies. Yeah I guess it's fuzzies and not fraying. There is no ripping or tearing in it. I'm just afraid that it might get worse, and start tearing. I'm not rough with the strap or the harness (or the seat), so hopefully it'll last a long time. It was probably a dumb question to begin with, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks again.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Thank you ladies. Yeah I guess it's fuzzies and not fraying. There is no ripping or tearing in it. I'm just afraid that it might get worse, and start tearing. I'm not rough with the strap or the harness (or the seat), so hopefully it'll last a long time. It was probably a dumb question to begin with, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks again.

Not a dumb question at all--it's good to be diligent about these things.

For what it's worth, the Coccoro I spoke of fuzzed within the first few months of owning it. It has now been more than a year later and it hasn't gotten any worse.

JMacSanDiego

Crunchy and I each had fuzziness on our Coccoro adjuster straps. Hers fuzzed on the right, mine on the left (I think). Her's was installed on the driver's side, mine on the passenger side.

We determined that it fuzzed toward the side of the door it was installed next to, because we tended to pull slightly in that direction as we were tightening.
You know what? You're so correct. My strap is fuzzing more on the left (because I pull it toward the passenger door). The other side is fuzzing, but not as much. I looked closely at it earlier today, in the daylight.

Keeanh

The important thing is to look at what PART of the belt is affected. The coloured threads that weave back & forth hold everything in a nice belt shape. They don't actually provide the tensile strength. If the "structural" threads that run lengthwise are affected, then there could be a problem.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC