Quick Nautilus question re: strap covers.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Definitely maybe. I'm almost positive one or two of the floor models at BRU have said take them off at 40 (non-elite). And of course the My Ride insists they come off at 40, though they don't care enough to issue a recall or advisory, so it can't be too big a deal? I'd take them off IF the tags on the straps said to (they are pretty big tags...I suppose it's possible for people to remove them and not know if they have a limit?)

Uh, yeah, that was a ramble...Sorry!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I think maybe it's a date issue rather than a model issue?

I know my seat (one of the first manufactured) doesn't say anything about it. I thought all the new ones do, though.

But I'll go with jools on the "definitely maybe." Big help, I know.

Baylor

Can I ask why would it matter? They are made for the seat.. not after market.. I have them on my son's 2.5 yr old but not on my 6yrold sons. But He asked for them back because he says it makes it comfy. I can not imagine why I would not do it for him.

Wiggles

Can I ask why would it matter? They are made for the seat.. not after market.. I have them on my son's 2.5 yr old but not on my 6yrold sons. But He asked for them back because he says it makes it comfy. I can not imagine why I would not do it for him.

Because it may change the head excursion numbers at higher weights.

Baylor

I just can not imagine how. not being contrary really trying to figure it out. It is a thin cover.. not cushiony... I just can not see it making a difference... Not saying it doesn't just saying that I can not see why.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
That's probably because you don't have access to a crash test lab.

I don't think Graco arbitrarily decided that big kids should suck it up and have chafed necks. I'm pretty sure they had a reason for requiring the covers to be removed on some seats after 40#.

Baylor

That's probably because you don't have access to a crash test lab.

I don't think Graco arbitrarily decided that big kids should suck it up and have chafed necks. I'm pretty sure they had a reason for requiring the covers to be removed on some seats after 40#.

Maybe not but for Parents like me.. Knowing why helps us make educated decisions. I will contact them and ask why.. HOWEVER...

It seems the answer is MAYBE.. as per your other post.. So is it yes or no? If it is maybe.. Then I can not see why not.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
And thanks. I was left with the "definitely maybe" impression as well. I'll be doing a private check including a Nauti, and the kid looks to me to be somewhere near 40#. It's an older seat so the manual won't say anything. I'll probably mention that some Graco seats, including some Nautis, recommend removing strap covers and let mom make the call.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Maybe not but for Parents like me.. Knowing why helps us make educated decisions. I will contact them and ask why.. HOWEVER...

It seems the answer is MAYBE.. as per your other post.. So is it yes or no? If it is maybe.. Then I can not see why not.

The post above yours explained that it can increase head excursion. Anything between the child and the harness can increase head excursion.

Mae

We mean "maybe" because there are some models of the GN that say to remove the straps after 40#, some don't say.

She doesn't mean "maybe" as in, you get to decide. She means "maybe" as in, some say yes, some say no, so *maybe* that one will have the rule, and *maybe* it won't. The only way to know for sure is to check the manual.

OP: My GN (one of the first made) doesn't have the rule. I really think it's just GN's made after XX/XX/20XX.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
OP: My GN (one of the first made) doesn't have the rule. I really think it's just GN's made after XX/XX/20XX.

I'm starting to think that as well. Which begs the question of whether there's been an actual change to the seat, or a discovery that was deemed important enough to include in new manuals but not important enough for a recall/advisory.

Baylor

I just checked my manual cover to cover. I have 2 one from 2008 and one 2010 neither say to remove the harness covers. I would think if it was really important that it would be there.

Mae

or a discovery that was deemed important enough to include in new manuals but not important enough for a recall/advisory.

Pondering here:

Perhaps it's just that the seat tests *better* without the covers in regards to head excursion, so they say to just remove them, but the seats still pass standards so they don't care enough to actually recall older seats. KWIM?

Totally guessing, btw.

Baylor

Pondering here:

Perhaps it's just that the seat tests *better* without the covers in regards to head excursion, so they say to just remove them, but the seats still pass standards so they don't care enough to actually recall older seats. KWIM?

Totally guessing, btw.

But then wouldn't that mean it would be in the manual? I mean if it was something they found to be important wouldn't it be in the new manual?

Is it any manual that goes with the GN?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Pondering here:

Totally guessing, btw.

I think so too, kind of like the Britax Regent "advisory" (except without the actual advisory, which Britax was wishy-washy on anyhow).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I also can't imagine a thin harness cover having any kind of impact on head excursion numbers or anything else. However, there is SOME reason that Graco wants them removed (on some seats, at least). Maybe they just like messing with people's heads. Maybe there's a real reason. I don't know.

It's possible that the seat tested better without them. Or maybe they forgot to put them on during a round of testing, so they don't really *know* if it passes.

If it were something truly, horribly important I would hope they'd issue a recall.

My own instinct is too not worry to much. Obviously I wouldn't advise anyone to use the seat against manufacturer instructions, although if I had a remove-at-40-lb Nautilus for my OWN kid, I would, very likely, ignore the instruction.

If someone has a version that does not say to remove them, I see no reason why they should.

Good luck getting any answers from Graco.

Baylor

I also can't imagine a thin harness cover having any kind of impact on head excursion numbers or anything else. However, there is SOME reason that Graco wants them removed (on some seats, at least). Maybe they just like messing with people's heads. Maybe there's a real reason. I don't know.

It's possible that the seat tested better without them. Or maybe they forgot to put them on during a round of testing, so they don't really *know* if it passes.

If it were something truly, horribly important I would hope they'd issue a recall.

My own instinct is too not worry to much. Obviously I wouldn't advise anyone to use the seat against manufacturer instructions, although if I had a remove-at-40-lb Nautilus for my OWN kid, I would, very likely, ignore the instruction.

If someone has a version that does not say to remove them, I see no reason why they should.

Good luck getting any answers from Graco.

This is really frustrating as a parent. I mean we are trying to do it right. We read the manual and think we have all we need to know and then find out.. We may not?

It really chafes my tookus...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
This is really frustrating as a parent. I mean we are trying to do it right. We read the manual and think we have all we need to know and then find out.. We may not?

It really chafes my tookus...

If your manual doesn't say to remove them, and there's nothing printed on the covers themselves, there is no need to remove them.

We have to follow instructions. It was only recently that some/all Nautili started coming with those instructions. Seats made before then (and possibly some seats after) are not subject to that rule.

Baylor

If your manual doesn't say to remove them, and there's nothing printed on the covers themselves, there is no need to remove them.

We have to follow instructions. It was only recently that some/all Nautili started coming with those instructions. Seats made before then (and possibly some seats after) are not subject to that rule.

Neither of my manuals say that. One is a 2010.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC