1998 Odyssey Van info

Lilsid

I am looking at replacing my 1999 Toyota 4 runner with a 1998 Honda Odyssey EX van. Does any one have this van or have had it? Can I get TA's installed and where and how many can be added to this van? I have herd its reliable. I like that it is small and yet still has plenty of room. Please tell me how Car Seats install in it. I have a Blvd 70, a Radian 80, a Regent, DD is in a booster she has a Strada, and a Monterey. Will any of these fit and how well? Any info would be great.

I need more room and I am so sad that I will need to give up my Runner. I don't want to spend more then $8K on a van, But I am not in love with the 1999-2004 Odyssey vans they have all kinds of engine issues I have read about. I don't want to have an unreliable van. I love the Mazda 5 but it's not in my price range. I don't want a loan just a new vehicle with at least 6 seats. I have had a Dodge Grand Caravan and it was very nice its just big. I want to save on gas too. My runner gets 18 miles to the gallon on average right now.

Oh I am also looking at the Toyota Sienna a have narrowed it to a 2003 for reliability and price. I am lost on this van thing.

ADS

christineka

We had a 1998 odyssey and really liked it, but it only seated 6. We found out later that a 3 person bench could be added instead of captain's chairs to make it a 7 seater. I don't know anything about that bench other than the fact that it exists.

I learned about proper car seat installation when we had that van and 4 kids, so I didn't have a lot of practice installing different seats in it before we sized up.

We had the two in boosters in the back. (They had turboboosters and could buckle themselves.) We had ds1 in a cosco high back booster with harness and dd3 in a rfing tribute on the middle captain's chairs. It was super duper easy to install seats in the odyssey after I learned how to do it properly. I don't remember the back row being very roomy, but at one time we put the infant seat in the back and I sat next to it. I wasn't squished. We never had tether anchors retrofitted.

Lilsid

Thanks I am really leaning towards the Odyssey I don't know why I like it so much. I will have to go drive them now :eek:

I still feel bad selling my 4 runner it's such a great truck and it only has 83K miles for a 99. But I need more room. I have my niece who is 10 yrs. old in a low back booster then my 6 yr. old DD in a Monterey and my 3 yr. old DS in a Blvd 70. My mom rides with too so its cramped and if the kids start a fight it's no good.

Please add if any one else has any pros or cons about the Odyssey.

Mugsmom

We just traded in our '01 4Runner and bought an '07 Odyssey. The 4Runner was a great, reliable truck, but it was short on space, and not the safest thing to haul kids in. We LOVE the Odyssey.

Not sure if this would apply to a '98, but the only carseat problem we've had so far is putting a Radian rearfacing in one of the captain's chairs. It installs fine with both latch and seatbelt, but the angle isn't great, and after just a few minutes of the baby being in it, it over reclines. So, we can't use it in the captain's chairs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC