I need help! DD has spots

mommy2jana

I don't know what these spots are....any input?

She had two this morning - I wrote them off as bug bites. This afternoon her back is covered and they are under her arm and one on her chest, one on her face, and a few on her legs.

Some of them seem to have fluid in them. The ones on her legs look more swollen - obviously they have been scratched more.

IMGP0474.jpg

IMGP0476.jpg

IMGP0477.jpg

IMGP0472.jpg

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
now that you posted that one on her back..its definately looks like the chicky pox to me :( fun stuff

cpsaddict

I thought they looked like chicken pox, too. I had them twice and that was pretty much what they looked like. Sooo itchy and annoying.
Do you have an advice nurse line that you could call? They may be able to at least reassure you that it isn't serious. :confused:

arly1983

Calimine Lotion and Oatmeal Baths will help even if it is not chicken pox and definatly see the doctor soon....

oxeye

I'm thinking Chicken Pox too. Is she vaccinated for it? Even with the vaccine, though they can sometimes get a mild case.

Another possibility - we had a virus going around this area around Christmas. It looked just like Chicken Pox except the bumps were too small and didn't seem to be as itchy.

Yoshi

Yes, my older son and I both had chicken pox 15 yrs ago and that was what ours looked like. Headache is also common, sometimes low grade fever and aches also. If it is CP, she will be contagious (HIGHLY) until the last one is scabbed over completely. I missed 10days of work when my son and I had them. :( I hope your DD gets over them asap!!!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I agree Chicken Pox was my first thought, but it also looks a bit likes hives -- has she had any new foods lately??

mommy2jana

Yes, she has been vaxed for CP, but I still thought it could have been a mild case.

Well, we were at Urgent Care until 11 pm last night. They are not Chicken Pox. The dr didn't know what it was. He just called it Allergic Atopic Dermatitis. He prescribed her an oral antihistimine. He said it was not contagious - but I'm not so sure of that. My dd was the second case like that he saw yesterday. My mom told me that a couple of weeks ago, her neighbors little boy had the same thing and was completely better within 2 days. She had spots similar to this in January. However, in Jan they didn't last longer than 24 hrs...by the time we got to the dr, they were gone. This time is different. This morning they looked more "welty" than they did last night. They itch like crazy, too.

She hasn't had any new foods, we haven't used any new lotions or soaps or laundry detergents. I don't know what it is. Mystery rash, I guess. The dr said other than the case he saw earlier yesterday evening and my dd's...it was a first for him. I think I might call her pediatrician, too, just to be on the safe side.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Oh poor girl! At first they looked like chicken pox to me but then the last picture looked like she had welts. They do look itchy. I would take her to the family Dr. and see what s/he says.

Yes, my older son and I both had chicken pox 15 yrs ago and that was what ours looked like. Headache is also common, sometimes low grade fever and aches also. If it is CP, she will be contagious (HIGHLY) until the last one is scabbed over completely. I missed 10days of work when my son and I had them. :( I hope your DD gets over them asap!!!

Here in Canada, they tell us that you are most contagious for chicken pox 2 weeks before you break out in spots. In fact once kids (or adults) break out as long they are up for it they are allowed to go to school and to daycare. My DS got chicken pox at 6months, he was exposed to a child who had been exposed at that time and he (the other child) later broke out 1.5 weeks later. My DS was pretty cranky, and I would have never sent him to daycare or school or anywhere for that matter other then at home with me. It was the worst time of his and our lives together!

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
Yea I would definately call the pediatrician too...especially if he told you it was his first (every doc's gotta get experience somehow right? :p ) The pediatrician is sure to be familiar with skin issues (what kid doesnt get a rash :rolleyes: ) I hope she feels better soon:)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Isn't this similar to what Charlie (Splash's Charlie) had several weeks ago...? Looks the same from the pics. :confused:

mommy2jana

You know, Maria, I was thinking the same thing! Not long before Charlie had spots like this, Jana had spots. Last time, though, her spots went away the next day...the ped. didn't even get to see them.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Oh poor girl! At first they looked like chicken pox to me but then the last picture looked like she had welts. They do look itchy. I would take her to the family Dr. and see what s/he says.

Here in Canada, they tell us that you are most contagious for chicken pox 2 weeks before you break out in spots. In fact once kids (or adults) break out as long they are up for it they are allowed to go to school and to daycare. My DS got chicken pox at 6months, he was exposed to a child who had been exposed at that time and he (the other child) later broke out 1.5 weeks later. My DS was pretty cranky, and I would have never sent him to daycare or school or anywhere for that matter other then at home with me. It was the worst time of his and our lives together!

Hehehe... what I've read is that c-pox is most contagious in the 48hrs before the spots show up and continue to be contagious until the last spot is scabbed over. The fluid inside the rash is just chock full of virus. ;) But it is more contagious before the 1st spots show up.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Hehehe... what I've read is that c-pox is most contagious in the 48hrs before the spots show up and continue to be contagious until the last spot is scabbed over. The fluid inside the rash is just chock full of virus. ;) But it is more contagious before the 1st spots show up.

2 DAYS - not 2 weeks. And continuing on until the last spot is scabbed over.

The health nurse and Dr. both told me that you CAN be contagious (not always) for 1.5 to two weeks before breaking out and that the most contagious moments are the 24-48hrs before spots break out.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
Both my boys had CP lst month. The vaxed 13 y/o had them BAD. The non-vaxed 3 y/o not so bad. The dr tld us the were most contagious in the 48 hours before break out, then continued until the lat pox scabbed over. It took both boys about 3 weeks to break out after exposure.

Any itchy skin will feel better after a good oatmeal bath. Grind some in the food processor, if available, place about a cup in a sock or tied wash cloth. Hold it under the running water of the tub, squeezing occasionally. Once dd is in the tub squeeze the oatmeal over her itchy skin. Don't get the water to warm, that makes the itch worse.

My oldest liked baking soda in his bath, but it didn't seem to help the youngest.

Whatever it is, hugs to you both!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC