You know you talk about car seats too much when...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
...your 6-year-old complains that the TurboBooster should be "recalled because of back pain."

Add yours.

ADS

Angela

...your 5 year old says his mommy wants car seats for Christmas.
....your DH just about tells a co worker that their 1.5 year old child should still be rear facing.

HayleyCPST

your nanny child, age 2 actually knows what rear facing is and asks why other kids aren't.

AND

you ask santa for a new car seat. Over a laptop or something that you need.

NebraskaMom

...your 12 year old daughter is accompanying you to a seat check very early on a Saturday morning

...your neighbors are all ERFing their toddlers

...your DH tries to organize a seat check event as a community service opportunity at work

and finally, my favorite as of right now...

...your 7 year old son is trying to get his friends at school back into booster seats since none of them raised their hands when I asked about it last week :eek:

swtgi1982

.... your four year old lectures other parents in the parking lot at the grocery store for not having their kids in car seats or not using the correct seat.

.... when your four year old says, "when I grow up I want to be a car seat checker"

.... when you go to an Auto show and get in heated safety arguments with the dealers showing their new cars, and you end up being right!

.... when at the auto show you look at the electric cars that are multi passenger and ask the dealer why there is not LATCH? They are street legal after all

.... when looking at new tractors at a tractor show, you start playing with the seat belts in the jump seat of the tractor and realize they lock and you could actually put a car seat there:whistle::whistle:;

this last one came from DD wanting to always ride with DH cousin on the combine when they do the field behind out house. (A three yr old was killed locally by being thrown threw the windshield and run over, so I was looking for ways to make her safe if she wants to go next year!):whistle::whistle:

myliljunebugs

Your 5 year old asks for her car seat back (while riding in a booster to let a much smaller 4 year old use her car seat instead of the BB she typically rides in)

The 4 year old (in previous sentence) asks if she can ride RF like her little brother is now. (the answer was yes)

Your childless roommate who works at a car rental agency about keels over and has a heart attack when he realizes a customer is putting her small 3 year old in a booster. Said roommate almost tries to convince said customer to put the child in a harnessed seat they have available, but stops when he realizes his job would be on the line....

Your mother has started lecturing her friends about how they restrain their grandchildren when they have them in their cars :p

You ask for a new car seat instead of clothing, movies, books, or perfume for Christmas.:whistle:

karlatta

Every time you go out with your husband, he notices and tells you about misuse.

You put your 4yo in a booster (just to check fit) and he freaks out saying, "Mom, I need a harness! This is not safe!"

leighi123

When you rent a car, your 3 year old jumps in and says "look there is THREE Latchinaters in here" (the car had 3 clearly marked sport for LATCH). And your car at home doesnt even have LATCH.

And at the airport he jumps up and down when he saw someone with 3 Radians, and then went and asked each of the kids "do you ride backwards or forwards?" (kids were 18month old ish twins and a 3yr old), mom said they all ride forward facing, so Levi told them "its much safer to face backwards, my mommy knows how to fix your kids seats so they can be safe, I'm safe in my seat"

He also says "when Im big, can I have a BIG carseat so I can be safe? I dont want just a seatbelt like you because you can wiggle too much!"

(at the store), "Mommy did you see that baby seat? You need to check if its OK"

"mommy tell that guy you want to look at his seat, I'll say hi to the baby for you so you can see it" (ds is good bait to go initiate a conversation about tightening up straps!)

On airplanes he also asks kids "where is your carseat? You cant put it in the plane's belly you know, thats not safe"

Oh and on the last flight we were on "Mommy, that girl has an airplane carseat like you showed me on the computer!!!"
(she was in a CARES harness, although only sat in it for like 5min of the flight, and screamed for the rest, even after the parents gave her benadryl "so she would fall asleep"...argh.)

"Mommy, can I see the crash test video again?"

(as his friends are saying goodbye after a playdate) "WAIT, my mommy needs to peek in your car to see if your mommy did your carseat right this time, she might need to fix it some more" Yes, no one can leave my house in an unsafe carseat... good thing too, friend had her 15month old FF in a roundabout using the RF belt path, I flipped his seat RF and told her not to mess with it again!

I've got more Im sure... ds is as bad as me about carseats!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Your roommate comes home from work, and tells you that she educated her coworkers on ERF.

(And scheduled you a seat check with one of the coworker's child care providers.)

Oh, and when your childhood BFF posts on your facebook, "We need to find you a man! You post too much about carseats!" (Sigh.)

HayleyCPST

leigh123- what did the parents say when levi asked about the 3 kids FF??

Oh! When no one talks about car seats around you anymore.

When your boyfriend wants to know all about the new seats coming out (and makes me stay up past midnight asking questions)

when your 7 yr old NK yells out the window To another kid "you're out of position!!" and is very worried that the kid won't get a sticker on their sticker chart.

Sarah62008

Senior Community Member
---Your 2yr old makes sure the Little People Baby is RF in the minivan

---Your 2yr old can buckle himself in the seat without help

---At a FUNERAL service you are asked to check out your cousins baby in their car seat because "It's not right"

---You get text messages or emails on Facebook from people you rarely talk to with a pic of their kid, and a car seat question.

leighi123

leigh123- what did the parents say when levi asked about the 3 kids FF??

Mom said that she had turned the twins FF when they were 20lbs which was over 1yr, but her husband was a firefighter, and his co-workers had just finished the carseat tech course earlier that week, and had told him to RF all of his kids (the twins were almost Levi's size and the 3yr old just a little bigger than him, so they'd all fit for sure). She said she was going to "look into rearfacing more", so I gave her some links (joels journey and here). She seemed like she was interested at least for the boys. I also noticed she wasnt using the SafeStop on any of the seats, but she had told me that she installs with LATCH and uses the top tether, so I showed her in her manual the info on it.

It was interesting b/c she had just heard about ERFing, and I guess the guys who took the tech course were defiantly encouraging it which is good! I hope she went home and did some research at least!

Oh and I dunno where she was from exactly, we were in upstate NY flying to FL, they were going to disney.

AND on the plane, they had all three seats installed. Impressive b/c with the amount I fly, I rarely see another seat besides ds's, the one time I did see another seat, I ended up installing it for the lady b/c she had no clue how to use her carseat (she needed a belt extender which I think was confusing her)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
...When your mother says, 'Honey, you need a new hobby, your kids are safe enough'

...When your daughter says, 'Why is it called a chest clip, when it's on my "mimis"? Where is my chest, anyway?'

...When your almost-13 yo comes home from a long trip to grandma's and feels really, really weird riding in the van for the first time since age 5, without a seat.

...When a nice lady that you are just having lunch with as wives to business partners looks at your three year old, then at your RF Marathon, and says helpfully, "You know that seat can be installed forward, right?"

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
...your 3-year-old sees a photo of a kid with a belly clip and says, "Wow! That kid's nipples are really low!"

(I know I've shared that one before, but it's been a while.)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
When DD1 overhears me asking if a guest's child needs a booster to sit at the table and offers the use of her Monterey for dining purposes.

When DH asks me if I plan to bring carseats to the next auto show to test install in his dream car (Chevy Volt), a car that he probably won't fit in himself due to lack of adequate front headroom for his torso height. :whistle:

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Your 8yo and 6yo keep trying to sit in the RF seats. They both wish they were small enough to RF still (my 6yo is if I bought an XTSL but that's NOT happening at her age lol).

your kids recognize car seats and can name them by sight

HayleyCPST

It was interesting b/c she had just heard about ERFing, and I guess the guys who took the tech course were defiantly encouraging it which is good! I hope she went home and did some research at least!

Oh and I dunno where she was from exactly, we were in upstate NY flying to FL, they were going to disney.

AND on the plane, they had all three seats installed. Impressive b/c with the amount I fly, I rarely see another seat besides ds's, the one time I did see another seat, I ended up installing it for the lady b/c she had no clue how to use her carseat (she needed a belt extender which I think was confusing her)
I also rarely see kids in seats as well when I fly. If I do they are infants and the parents are holding the baby on takeoff. :rolleyes:
good for you for talking to the mom about it! Levi broke the ice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC