There must be some way!!!

diaperjoys

I'm still trying to fit three kids across the third row of our '99 Suburban.

I just can't get a Radian to fit back there - the center is a lap belt only, and the buckle of the belt hits the edge of the Radian wrong - buckle neither all the way in nor all the way out. I'm twisting the buckle stalk two full twists, and it won't twist any further.

What seat is the next narrow, after the Radian? Space is a real issue. I tried the Marathon ff in the center, and I could jam the PW SG into the remaining space, but the buckle was completely out of sight with zero room for maneuverability.

Would an Avenue or a CA maybe work in the center? Is there any chart that has seat widths of the more current seats listed?

Someone on this board uses her old style MA in the center, and two kids on either side in adult belts, but we're a ways away from that yet - the oldest is currently 7.5yo.

All ideas are welcome!!!

ADS

MomToEliEm

Are you needing a rearfacing seat or a forward facing seat in that middle seating position? The radian would have been my first choice, but since you have struggled with the install in that position, hopefully we can find you another seat to try.

There is a chart with various measurements on it:
http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/
though it just gives max widths which don't always tell how well seats puzzle together.

HayleyCPST

What about Radian FF center, marathon FF outboard, PG other outboard?

The Radian and MA fit very nicely next to each other when they are facing the same way.

Have you tried the Radian outboard with MA center?

glockchick

I've done it before with a TB, a FFing Marathon center, and a FFing Scenera on the other side. Very tight, but it works.

I could maneuver my hand into the space between the MA base and the TB to buckle it from the front. The child could not do it.

Another alternative I've seen suggested is to buckle it in and just pull it loose to have the kid using it crawl under the belt and then tighten. I've never tried it myself though.

glockchick

What about Radian FF center, marathon FF outboard, PG other outboard?

The Radian and MA fit very nicely next to each other when they are facing the same way.

Have you tried the Radian outboard with MA center?

The RN will not install in the center position in my '99 Suburban. The buckle is always slightly in the belt path but won't go all the way in.

scoutingbear

A scenera? My dad has a '99 Suburban and we recently did Adult, RF scenera, RSTV. Is this an all the time arrangement? If not, I would look at a RSTV. My giant 6 year old had lots of room next to the scenera and I had plenty of room on the other side. I can't get an install with the radian either. :(

diaperjoys

Are you needing a rearfacing seat or a forward facing seat in that middle seating position? The radian would have been my first choice, but since you have struggled with the install in that position, hopefully we can find you another seat to try.

There is a chart with various measurements on it:
http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/
though it just gives max widths which don't always tell how well seats puzzle together.

It could be either forward facing or rear facing - whatever will fit!! I'd rather put a forward facing child there, but I'm not sure there is any seat on the market that will work there.

And thank you for the measurement chart; very helpful!!

diaperjoys

A scenera? My dad has a '99 Suburban and we recently did Adult, RF scenera, RSTV. Is this an all the time arrangement? If not, I would look at a RSTV. My giant 6 year old had lots of room next to the scenera and I had plenty of room on the other side. I can't get an install with the radian either. :(

I'll keep this one in mind - I don't think anyone fits the scenera right now, but I'll keep that in mind if I have to do a quick seat purchase for a foster child.

HayleyCPST

Did you try really hard to twist it 3 times?? They can be stubborn sometimes...

Is DS3 in the radian or the nautilus? Who is riding in the radian?

diaperjoys

Did you try really hard to twist it 3 times?? They can be stubborn sometimes...

Is DS3 in the radian or the nautilus? Who is riding in the radian?

Can't do 3 twists. I'm going to try it again, though, and see if there is any way to coax it to twist down more.

Who is riding in the Radian?? It could be for either of the two younger children. Currently the almost 5yo is in the Nautilus, and our 3yo daughter is rf in a Marathon. She's getting close to the rf limits on the seat, though, and we're planning on adding a foster child or two. So.... all that means we're gearing up for our next seat shuffle!

HayleyCPST

The Nautilus far exceeds the width available. Yes, it does install center, but then there is not enough room for seats on either side. I tried it the other day...

LOL great picture.

Is there any way you could move some kids to the center row to free up the center seat in the 3rd row?

diaperjoys

LOL great picture.

Is there any way you could move some kids to the center row to free up the center seat in the 3rd row?

I could just seat two children in the third row, and that is how it is currently set up. But by so doing I lose the use of one seat; I need to be able to seat a child in each and every seat in the second and third rows.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC