OMG Scenera in Australia!

Joddle

So I was browsing the car seat aisle in Big W. To my surprise I saw what I recognised as a Scenera shell. Sure enough, I read the label and sure enough it said "scenera shell model". It was so lightweight and flimsy, and only for FF 8-18kg! So, we have the Scenera in Oz :D
.... Price is AUD$168 though!
Will post a pic when I get on the computer -won't work from my phone.

ADS

Joddle

It was a Zuzu (Big W brand) and the model name wasn't Scenera, but on the label it says it is a Dorel Scenera shell, and has the info about the American testing standards.

Joddle

Yes that's it, the Commander! I knew it started with 'C'. If it was RF too, and similar to the US price, I'd definately buy one.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Strange that it's not sold for RF. I can see the sticker that marks the RF belt path when I zoom in on the left side of the picture. :confused:

TerisBoys

It probably couldn't pass Australia's RF tethering testing.

Not sure how someone would add an ARB to a Scenera, either.

Joddle

Some 'Babylove' seats over here have removable ARBs, which are just connected by popping it into the supplied holes. Then it disconnects completely and stores under the base. They could have done that. Not sure about the tethering but it wouldn't be hard to physically put one on. Also, if it's the same shell, I don't understand why it couldnt be up to the same weight limit. There is provision for HWH/ERF seats but noone will make them!

TerisBoys

Scenera is RF to 35/40 depending on the version and FF 22-40. So they've got the same limits for FF. You're just missing the RF component.

The reason it's so often suggested here is that it's a nice, slender seat with tall slots that will get most kids to around 4yo. Plus it's inexpensive, at around $40 US. And because of it's light weight, it makes a nice seat for airplane travel.

I've seen seats with the detachable ARB. I just meant that the shell is SO lightweight I don't see how one could be attached and be effective. Same with the tether. It's a good little seat - I just don't see it being sturdy enough for AU RF accommodations.

I'm NOT bashing the Scenera. I had two of it's predecessors (the Touriva) for William, and at the time they were the only seat that allowed him to RF past about 18mo.

AmieRubyJonah

I've seen them in Big W, never taken much notice as I have no need for one

BUT

If it's the EXACT same seat as a scenera, just a different name, eg. Has the same belt path etc. Is there anything to stop me buying one and installing it RF?

TerisBoys

I wouldn't. There's no way of knowing if there were changes/omissions to the AU version. Plus it doesn't have the RF tether/ARB that are mandatory (aren't they?) on AU seats. And it doesn't have the two lower harness slots in the cover.

At least, not without contacting Dorel for their thoughts.

Joddle

It doesn't have the low belt slots, or an anti-rebound bar. Also, I doubt the tether would be long enough for RF as it's only designed for FF. You *could* tether behind the seat like in the US which would be anti-rebound too, but I don't know how safe it would be. And the weight limits are rated as less on the "Commander", but if it's the same shell I don't see why it wouldn't hold up to 18kg (35-40lbs) FF. I highly doubt anyone would reccomend to use it like that, but I see what you mean! I'd love to buy one and be able to use it like that!!!
Stupid Aus. ;)

AmieRubyJonah

But let's just say for arguments sake it's the EXACT same seat. It doesnt have TT or ARB in the US right?

Legallities dont bother me, I'm already using illegal radians.

*disclaimer, not actually planning on doing this as I still have no need for one, just curious, I also am very conscious about seats and their testing requirements, so if it does have differences to the scenera and has not been tests this way (no matter the country) I would not use it if you paid me*

Joddle

Legalities don't bother me either.
I'm actually thinking I'll call/email Dorel and see if there are any changes.
I still probably wouldn't buy one, just because of the price - it would probably work out cheaper to buy a US one and ship it over!
$168 for a FF only seat is ridiculous.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Did it have the split crotch strap? US seats have a single/centered strap, I thought Australian seats have to have an inverted V shaped strap?

I can't seem to tell from the picture...?

Edit...um, yeah, duh, checked the other picture, and it's obviously there. Sorry!
(Thanks for posting both links!)

Keeanh

Did anyone read the review on the BigW site? All 5-stars, "Great quality" "Great value"... A $170 FF Scenera?? Are you kidding me?

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Can I ask the question why the harness straps go over the top of the buckles in the US and under in Aust?

Does anyone know what I mean by that? I don't know how to word it...:whistle:

Or are their pics just wrong? I know how they look here LOL

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Can I ask the question why the harness straps go over the top of the buckles in the US and under in Aust?

Does anyone know what I mean by that? I don't know how to word it...:whistle:

Or are their pics just wrong? I know how they look here LOL

I know what you are saying. I don't know why they are like that, but all seats I have ever seen have been.

mytwobugs

The installation demo on the igc link is interesting also.....:eek:
attach and tighten the top tether first and then install with the seat belt. hmmm.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC