Can I really survive on a rear adjust infant seat

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
Ok so I'm a little financially bound at the moment. I am working 2 part time jobs, single and the BD is not supporting me at all. So I've been looking into infant seats and I just don't understand spending amost 35 dollar extra just for a strap in the front. Can I survive for 1-6 months before buying a convertible on just the rear adjust or would it really be worth 35 dollars for front adjust. I know that they are a pain but I would be willing to take the extra time to adjust it correctly...Buy the way I am talking about a graco snugride 22...I was thinking about get a 35 I just don't see me being able to come up with 150 dollars for a carseat anytime soon

ADS

Pixels

If you take the time to adjust it properly each and every time, there's nothing wrong with a rear adjust. They aren't recommended because they are a pain, and because they are a pain, they tend not to be adjusted properly. But it's certainly possible to use it properly.

Have you considered using a Scenera? It fits newborns well, and is a good economy seat at $35 (on sale) - $50. Target has a version that RF to 40 pounds.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
i have attempted to install a scerena in my 98 jeep grand cherokee and it just does not install well rearfacing. I have tried several towels and everything. I am realling looking more into an infant carrier and then a convertible (the convertible I want is either a MR or a Safety 1st air protect) I plan on purchasing another car soon but not sure if its going to happen or not

rachelandtyke

I survived an Evenflo rear adjust for a couple of months until DS fit into our snugride. I didn't like it, but it worked just fine and I was happy to have a seat he was safe in.

nevaehsmommy

I had a rear adjust for my niece when I had primary care of her (15+ hours a day) and I am very car seat conscious. It was a royal pain in the butt. I ended up buying a new infant seat. You can not loosen up the seat each and every time you take baby in and out. Well I guess you could but it took me like 5 minutes to get the straps tight again.

Scrimp, save, beg someone for the extra money.

She was a tiny little thing. She was in the 22# bucket tell she was 19 months. I could not have dealt with it.

4boysmom

if you can at all swing it it is worth $7 a month (if used for only 5 mo) to not get a rear adjust (though I must pause for a moment, rear adjust with a "teeth adjuster" I'd be more likely deal with it to save the $, if it is the kind I had with my oldest, a bar that goes through incremental holes in the webbing save your sanity and skip a fast food meal or two a month and save yourself the stress, those ones are a royal PITA, a different diaper or a full belly and you have to rethread the harness. Now imagine you have a sleeping baby and need to go somewhere but realize the straps are too tight (or loose) they aren't going to remain asleep through all that fiddling :thumbsdown:)

andre149

Personally, I think it's worth the extra $35. Any chance someone may be able to go in on it with you as an early Christmas present for baby?

jess71903

Ambassador
Can you just not afford the MyRide now? IMO it fits newborns better than the Snugride does. I LOVE it for newbies, and then you're only buying one seat that will last YEARS!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've had a few kids that fit better in rear-adjust than front-adjust seats. It is more of a pain to use properly every time, sure, but after a while (once the newborn weeks are over and growth slows a bit) you don't have to adjust every time, only check every time for fit.

That said, a convertible might be a better choice. If not a Scenera, how about an Evenflo Titan or Tribute? Cheap, fits newbies well, front-adjust, and will last as long as many traditional infant seats or longer.

mytwobugs

I guess I'm in the minority:duck: but I didn't mind the rear adjust snugride (20#) I used with my boys at all. I rarely adjusted the straps, just a little flip up to each of the adjusters in the back occasionally as they grew. Since they shouldn't be in thick clothes or heavy coats anyway I knew all had had to do was buckle it up (and the straps would be the right tightness) and go.

arly1983

Can you just not afford the MyRide now? IMO it fits newborns better than the Snudoes.gride I LOVE it for newbies, and then you're only buying one seat that will last YEARS!

YES x 1,000!

That said, a convertible might be a better choice. If not a Scenera, how about an Evenflo Titan or Tribute? Cheap, fits newbies well, front-adjust, and will last as long as many traditional infant seats or longer.

Walmart now carries the tribute in some stores. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Tribute-Convertible-Car-Seat-Brown-Plaid/8207450

nevaehsmommy

You might look in clearance piles as well.

Our local hyvee(grocery store) has a very nice baby section. It includes car seats. They had some front adjust graco 22's for $35 The only catch is they only had 2 years left on them brand new.

Maybe you could find a deal like that. It is more expensive since you only have two years left but if you are not going to have another baby soon it would work

Notaclue

I had a front adjust snugride for ds, and LOVED how simple it was. That being said I also had a rear adjust snugride for dd, and although it was a pain, we used it for more than 7 months (she has always been little). I preferred the front adjust, but it's still possible to use a rear adjust just as safely. Once you get used to it it's really not a huge deal to adjust the harness.

luvsviola

The Onboard 35 is only $99 at Target, and will last you a lot longer than a SnugRide. It is front adjust. The bases are about $40.

skylinphoto

I'm also gonna be an odd one out.
I dont see a problem with the rear adjust. Live with it and be happy with the savings.
You could use that extra $35 to get something else cool for you or the baby. Like some toys, a super nice blanket to use in the carseat, a pricey cute outfit that you can oogle over, etc.

Dont fret the small stuff. Having a rear adjust is a small inconvenience, IMO.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Regardless of all the talk about rear vs front adjust, etc if you are truly in financial need, I dont understand buying a seat that wil last only 4- 12 months, and then having to buy ANOTHER seat...why not just buy a convertible now? The scenera is decent, and odds are you *can* install it. If you truly can't, then as a pp said, something like a titan or tribute, an avenue, etc is a MUCH better value...even a cheaper dorel 3 in 1, whatever big lots in your area has, etc.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
I'm really thinking i'm going to get the myride for her...target has one online for 120 cuddle pattern. I mean its more money but it'll last me a while...also the only complaint i have heard about this seat is when you turn it forward facing it kind of angles itself what does everybody else think

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think the MyRide works wonderfully rear-facing and adequately forward-facing (in most cases), and if money is so tight (which I definitely understand), spending $120 on something that will last 5 years makes more sense than spending $70 on something that will last less than 1 year.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
I agree, I was really wanting the infant seat so it could snap into a stroller...but i'm thinkin maybe I will just get a sling or something to carry her in. I would like the alano flip cause it allows her to face me I am putting it on my registry and if somebody will get it for me great. Other wise I'll live without it

also I got a 20 dollar gift card from target just for starting a registry with them so it would be only 100 dollars

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC