OK so, the travel date is booked!

dragonfly8

Connor, who will be 5 the day we leave, and I will be flying to Toronto for medical appointment(s). I'd really like to not have alot to carry, as I'll be dealing with him myself, and on the way back, not sure how great he'll be, he'll be having some sort of sedation at his appt on the 17th of Feb and he's not the best at coming out of anesthetic. So basically, the less I have to worry about, the better. So, here's my thing. Right now, he bounces between 37 and 40lbs dressed. He's still harnessed in his Radian, and will be for a long time to come. For travel reasons alone, and *if* (hopefully in the next 3 months he'll gain a bit) could I get away with a booster? I hope to find a HBB that I can dismantle and put in the suitcase. We'll be cabbing it (as far as I know) from the airport to the hotel and back. So that's basically what I'll need a seat for. At 5, I'd be ok with him in the plane seat next to me. I"d love to take my Radian, but I'd rather not if I could get by with a booster.

Don't get me wrong, his safety is #1 and if I must take it, I will.........

Suggestions? Advice? Reco's for a booster (and trust me, if he's not 40lbs I will not even consider it). I figure I can start looking for upcoming sales......

ADS

amyd

I'd definitely check with the hotel and see if they have an airport shuttle and what type of vehicle that is. If it's a bus-type shuttle, you may not even need any type of seat if that's the only ride you'll need it for.

Beyond that, I'd absolutely take a booster. You're looking at just 2 short-ish rides and you'll be able to sit beside him in the back to remind him to stay in position. I'd probably just do a highback TB.

dragonfly8

I'd definitely check with the hotel and see if they have an airport shuttle and what type of vehicle that is. If it's a bus-type shuttle, you may not even need any type of seat if that's the only ride you'll need it for.

Beyond that, I'd absolutely take a booster. You're looking at just 2 short-ish rides and you'll be able to sit beside him in the back to remind him to stay in position. I'd probably just do a highback TB.

Probably the stupid question of the day, and being a tech I should know this but haven't come across any boosters yet........a TB comes apart right? So I could put it in my suitcase?

amyd

Probably the stupid question of the day, and being a tech I should know this but haven't come across any boosters yet........a TB comes apart right? So I could put it in my suitcase?

Yep, the back comes off. It can be used as a backless (not that you would in this case, but it definitely comes apart).

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Okay, I'll disagree. About the Turbo, anyways.

If you're going to use a booster before your child is really fully ready to do so, at least spring for a booster that works well with tiny kids. The Monterey is a far better option, and also pulls apart into two pieces (we did it going to Costa Rica once, too.) I think you can still get the $99 ones from Snugglebugz, too?

Otherwise--I'd travel with a harnessed seat, rigging it to a Micromover or putting it on a Maclaren Volo (or similar).

-N.

amyd

Okay, I'll disagree. About the Turbo, anyways.

If you're going to use a booster before your child is really fully ready to do so, at least spring for a booster that works well with tiny kids. The Monterey is a far better option, and also pulls apart into two pieces (we did it going to Costa Rica once, too.) I think you can still get the $99 ones from Snugglebugz, too?

Otherwise--I'd travel with a harnessed seat, rigging it to a Micromover or putting it on a Maclaren Volo (or similar).

-N.

I thought we tell people all the time that the Turbo fits small kids well? Maybe I better stop telling people that:p And I thought the Monterey was really wide and didn't fit tinies as well. Guess I need to revise my thoughts about boosters.:eek:

chay

If you do end up taking the Radian get a folding luggage cart to put it on. I travel a lot (often alone) with my 2 kids and their seats and it isn't that bad. The Radian is narrow enough you can keep it on the cart and roll it right down the isle of the plane (I have to carry my other seats above my head to get them down the isle which is more challenging). It installs like a dream on the plane and is low enough you can still use the tray. I usually put my carry on between the 2 car seats on the luggage cart so I only have one thing to tow and nothing else to deal with. It takes a couple extra seconds to disassemble/reassemble at security but even that we have down to a science now.

I've taken a few airport shuttles in Toronto and they were 15 passenger vans with seat belts. I can't remember if they were lap or lap and shoulder, last time was at 2am after 12 hours of traveling with 6 kids under 3 so it was a blur.

Good luck, hope the trip (and all things medical) goes well.

mam521

I'm with chay...last time we travelled, we bought a Kidz GoGo Travelmate and I love it...I just left my daughter in her seat and rolled her through the airport like a suitcase. She thought it was great :) The Radian might be better if your rugrat doesn't come out of anesthesia well because the harness can hold 'em in the seat.

Anyone got any information on the First Years Compass folding boosters? Just wondering if they are worth the time/effort, as that might be an option. I see them at WalMart all the time

QuassEE

I thought we tell people all the time that the Turbo fits small kids well? Maybe I better stop telling people that:p And I thought the Monterey was really wide and didn't fit tinies as well. Guess I need to revise my thoughts about boosters.:eek:

The Turbo is ok. I prefer the Monterey with smaller kids, because it's so much more supportive and it's design really encourages kids to sit still and be more contained within the seat's wings. Here's my daughter, aged 3 and ~37lbs:
http://picasaweb.google.com/QuassEE/AbbiMonterey?authkey=Gv1sRgCKrpjuLtye_JswE#5321727722607426290
http://picasaweb.google.com/QuassEE/PumpkinPatch08#5257875838049003138
{Edited for those who don't know me: She was JUST MODELLING this seat, not USING it until age 4.}

You can dial the width in the back, so I've never found it to be too wide. I would much rather see a small child that isn't used to riding in a booster yet a little bit more contained, or with more obvious visual and physical barriers. We've let Abbi use the Monterey on and off from just before she hit 40lbs; about 40lbs clothed. Even though she's 47lbs/5yrs now, I don't let her ride in her brother's Oobr because it just doesn't have the same support. Both are great boosters, I just find that one is better than the other for my littlest.

-N.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
The Turbo is ok. I prefer the Monterey with smaller kids, because it's so much more supportive and it's design really encourages kids to sit still and be more contained within the seat's wings. Here's my daughter, aged 3 and ~37lbs:
http://picasaweb.google.com/QuassEE/AbbiMonterey?authkey=Gv1sRgCKrpjuLtye_JswE#5321727722607426290
http://picasaweb.google.com/QuassEE/PumpkinPatch08#5257875838049003138
{Edited for those who don't know me: She was JUST MODELLING this seat, not USING it until age 4.}

You can dial the width in the back, so I've never found it to be too wide. I would much rather see a small child that isn't used to riding in a booster yet a little bit more contained, or with more obvious visual and physical barriers. We've let Abbi use the Monterey on and off from just before she hit 40lbs; about 40lbs clothed. Even though she's 47lbs/5yrs now, I don't let her ride in her brother's Oobr because it just doesn't have the same support. Both are great boosters, I just find that one is better than the other for my littlest.

-N.

Interesting. I had written the Monterey off for dd#1 to start booster training. I like how much it goes around your dd. Is that the original style? Or the new one?

I wish I had a place locally to try these seats out. I may have to make a trip to Vancouver with dd so I don't make the wrong decision.

QuassEE

Interesting. I had written the Monterey off for dd#1 to start booster training. I like how much it goes around your dd. Is that the original style? Or the new one?

I wish I had a place locally to try these seats out. I may have to make a trip to Vancouver with dd so I don't make the wrong decision.

Absolutely, come visit :)

The one in the photos is the original. DH got t-boned and we replaced it with the newer one--pretty similar.

-N.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC