Trouble tethering my Radian (FF) and a SafeStop question

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'm having a heck of a time with DD1's XTSL. The trouble is that once I install it, the adjuster buckle is trapped behind the seat, and won't allow the tether to tighten. I've tried attaching and tightening before I install, but that always allows a bit of slack that I can't get out after I install. Is there a trick to this :confused:

Also, when using the SafeStop, do you weigh frequently, or would it be ok for a child to be over 40 lbs and still use it? DD1 is only 37.5 pounds and has been there for several months, but she's eating us out of house and home suddenly, and I'm worried she'll be 40lbs overnight and I will have inadvertently let her ride over the limit of the SafeStop.

ADS

Dillipop

Not sure about the top tether and what to do.

About the safestop- I wouldn't worry too much if you miss her going over 40 pounds. I wouldn't weigh her every day or anything, but just keep a general eye on her weight. The older radians allowed the safestop to be used to 48 pounds (I have one labeled as such), so accidentally going over to say 41 pounds wouldn't concern me much.

monstah

I know what you mean. So annoying! What works in my car is to make sure the V strap and top tether strap aren't twisted, etc. by keeping it taught with one hand while installing the seat. Then when I tighten it, I found that for some reason, pulling down or back on the strap doesn't help but pulling straight up toward the ceiling works. That's all I have in my bag O' tricks. :p

Mae

My TT does the SAME thing. I have to tighten before I install, which always leads to it being super tight. Somebody (from here) has even said, "Who tightened your TT, Superman?".

So yeah, I know what you mean. :rolleyes: It's because the way my vehicle seats are sloped. No matter how hard I pull, or in what direction I pull, it won't tighten once it's installed.

As for the SS, no, I wouldn't knowingly use it over 40lbs, but I'd check her weight every couple days, once a week or so. I wouldn't go bat crazy about a 41# child unknowingly using a SS though.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I wouldn't go crazy about unknowingly using over, but if my kid was super-close to the line, I'd just take it off. I'd rather have slightly increased neck loading than excessive head excursion, I think...

jjordan

I've been wondering the same thing about the safestop. Up until very recently, dd has consistently weighed in at 38# (fully clothed). Just recently she did weigh in at 40#, so I'm planning to take off the safestop soon, especially since she rides behind dh who has the driver's seat all the way back. (Our scale weighs a little heavy, so I'm pretty confident that she's not over 40# yet.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC