Parkway SGL in Canada

ADS

Chila88

I'm super sad about the lack of Livia. They are bringing 3 of the 4 covers up here....would it have been such a big deal to bring one more???? I don't get it....

goodliffj

I was just discussing this with MIL and saying it'd be nice to have that option on the seat:( Oh well, I've been waiting since August to get the seat and finally took the plunge last week and ordered it. I guess that there will always be something new coming out.:cool:

tam_shops

What's that, "new dynamic crash tests for booster seats in place by Jan"?

AND, there is no Onyx! I need Onyx to match my Radian Shadow! They really know how to get me to spend extra money! Uggg!

tam

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
What's that, "new dynamic crash tests for booster seats in place by Jan"?

tam
Here's a post with several links about the new regulations http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1472844&postcount=11

I actually just noticed in those links that is says our dynamic testing for boosters is supposed to be inline with current U.S. testing. If that's the case, then it seems like all of our boosters would already meet these tests since I believe very every booster available here is available in the U.S. (can anyone confirm?).

BudgieStew

It will have the ability to be attached to the UAS hooks.

What type of hooks? Will it have Britax kind or the other kind? I really do love our Monterey but it is impossible to get them unlatched without great effort and swearing. :whistle:
And where is the CooMoo?

tam_shops

Just read it from another link! LOL Mostly about the 22# FF rule, love that, wish they'd done 30#s, and yes I know that it wouldn't work for everyone, but some won't do it at 22# anyway! LOL

Still not getting the dynamic booster testing?

Got the most out of the Consumer Reports summary, but it just says, "Adding dynamic test protocols for booster seats. Formerly, this type of car seat—which resembles a large cushion on which the child sits—has not been required to undergo dynamic crash-type testing as have infant, convertible, and harnessed toddler booster seats. "

Does it just mean they now have to, but did not before test booster seats? And, what is a dynamic crash testing, the usual crash videos that I've seen on u-tube?

Sorry, I'm slow on technical jargon...

tam

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Still not getting the dynamic booster testing?

Got the most out of the Consumer Reports summary, but it just says, "Adding dynamic test protocols for booster seats. Formerly, this type of car seat—which resembles a large cushion on which the child sits—has not been required to undergo dynamic crash-type testing as have infant, convertible, and harnessed toddler booster seats. "

Does it just mean they now have to, but did not before test booster seats? And, what is a dynamic crash testing, the usual crash videos that I've seen on u-tube?
Does this help?

At the present time in Canada, booster seats are not required to meet dynamic test requirements, where their performance is evaluated in simulated crashes on a sled apparatus.

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR FUTURE REGULATIONS

Dynamic testing should be required in Canada and take into consideration:

A test seat with a cushion stiffness that is stiffer and more representative of the cushions found in vehicles today;

A crash severity that approximates the energy that is generated during a full frontal rigid barrier crash tests performed for the regulatory monitoring of adult protection in the front seats of vehicles;

Future regulations should consider visually tracking the lap and shoulder belt placement throughout crash testing for a range of seat belt anchor points and dummy sizes. This would help us monitor how well the booster seat can re-position the lap and shoulder belt and protect the child during a severe crash.

This is from this page http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-programs-testing-booster-report-924.htm The first quote is still correct until Jan 1, 2011. For the 2nd quote the "Notice of Intent" to change the regulations went in August 2009.

And yes, the testing would be like the tests you've seen on YouTube with the child dummy on an accelerating test sled.

The good thing is, it seems the U.S. already has this testing in place. And I think that all of the boosters we have are also available in the U.S. (anyone confirm?). That would mean that all of our booster have passed the U.S. dynamic testing to be released there. Even if the testing isn't quite the same, it's a heck of a lot better than NO testing. Now, I suppose a company could have 2 completely different models, one that is tested to U.S. standards and one that is tested to Canadian (and then NOT have any dynamic booster testing here), but that's not likely. Most models are likely tested for U.S. standards first, then Canadian, and then modified slightly if they don't meet Canadian standards. For example, they've added more foam in the head area to several Canadian seats to meet that standard in Canada.

If we have any boosters sold only in Canada prior to Jan. 1, 2011, I guess that could mean that they have not had any dynamic testing done. :eek:

Last edited:

tam_shops

Yes, thank you very much, that explains it perfectly! The main links just have pages & pages & pages of stuff to read through, and I didn't understand parts here or there, which then left me confused & couldn't find what I needed!

I LOVE these new rules!

And, I cross border shop a lot, never miss the car seat isle to see what great fabrics they have, I've never seen a booster here, they don't have there....not to say it's not possible, but nice to know they were tested on some level. It'll be interesting to see if they all pass *our* new dynamic testing! Like the padding our seats need in the headrests (more expensive, so I get why they don't make it standard practice), I'm sure there will be other changes...

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC