Accident Help Please

Calideedle

DH was driving his Aunt to the airport this morning. Right down the road he was turning left on a green arrow and a guy ran the red light going straight. He hit the back passenger wheel. The guy said sorry, he just wasn't paying attention & saw the green arrow and thought it was a green straight light. (never stopped just ran it going 35mph. I imagine he hit at a lot less then that)

Anyway DH came home and didn't notice the wheel is pushed in and at an angle. We are waiting for Progressive to come out.

I have a Britax Frontier 85 in the middle back seat, True Fit Premiere RFing in the Passenger Captains seat & a Monterey in the Drivers Captains seat.

Thoughts? :(

(really hard to get a good picture, the wheel is actually pushed in & the metal behind it is bent)
5c4b2280.jpg

0be55757.jpg

4050937a.jpg

747bd743.jpg

ADS

Pixels

TF needs replaced, Frontier and Monterey are okay if you remove the covers, inspect thoroughly, and find no damage.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know. 35 mph is a very severe crash. He hit at less than that, I get it, but it was severe enough to do that sort of damage. Since he was at fault, I'd have his insurance replace all three (well, maybe not an unoccupied booster on the far side, but may as well be safe than sorry).

Wendy

Calideedle

Thanks!

Since the Van is not really drivable (he did get it home but it drives bad & makes funky noises) I am going to fight for all of them to be replaced. At the very least the TF & FR.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I am sorry that happened...happy to hear DH is okay!

I totally second what Wendy said...no harm in getting them all replaced if you can.

Calideedle

The tow truck just came and I went to take the seats out and the Monterey (which was installed with LATCH) was completely moved off the seat. The True Fit was moved a bit also.

The other driver has AAA insurance so hopefully they are helpful with getting the seats replaced.

clmchrissy

Aaa will replace your seats as long as you provide the receipts. If the adjuster does give you a hard time (they shouldn't) just ask for a supervisor.

Calideedle

For some reason my DH is having to deal with our insurance so they can turn the info over to AAA? Anyway they are saying there is noway they'll replace our seats. That they weren't occupied so they don't have to be replaced. If we want them replaced we need to send pictures of the damage to the seats.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ask them to take liability for any injuries that occur in the seats then in the future, in writing on their letterhead with his name on it. The beltpath and straps (you need your seatbelts checked, whichever ones were in use) are stressed and may not hold. It's not just the harness that gets yoinked in a collision.

Wendy

Pixels

CA law says that the insurance company has to replace occupied seats. Show them the info in the manuals that says they need to be replaced.

Calideedle

They did this last time too. Since in CA any seat that is occupied needs to be replaced, they take that and use it as if a seat is not occupied it doesn't have to be replaced. No matter what. The kids weren't in the car.

I did try the letter thing last time and the lady said "Yeah right".

Calideedle

The TF manual says: DO NOT use this Convertible Seat if it has been in a
crash. (There may be hidden damage and it must be
replaced.) Your insurance company may provide
some assistance replacing this convertible seat.
:rolleyes:

I don't see anything in the FR manual.

Rebelnicky04

I was just involved in a car wreck 9/27/10 and both of my Britaxs were replaced. My car insurance told me the best thing to do whenever you're in a wreck is- to notify your insurance and USE them to replace your items and fix your car and then your insurance company can go after his insurance company. It has worked out REALLY well for us. We have Farm Bureau but I did not have receipts I just had to simply bring him the 2 old seats from the car and the receipts for the new seats and then he wrote me a check for them. I hope you get the help you need. Trust me I understand exactly how frustrating insurance companies can be... I'm still battling 2 months later on my medical bills.

babidius

Sorry your DH was in an accident. I was in an accident about 2 weeks ago with a Tractor Trailer. I am dealing with my Insurance Co. also and lettingn them duke it out with his. The first person I spoke to told me I had to go get the seats checked out which I knew was crap so when the person handling my case called I told her I had 2 carseats she told me to buy new ones and fax her the receipt. I had a check for them asap. They never asked if they were occupied or anything.

aeormsby

I would use the fact that the insurance company had to tow the vehicle as evidence that it was not drivable after the accident and therefore does not fall within the 'minor accident' criteria. Therefore all seats need to be replaced per the manufacturer's.

Good luck. Sorry about the accident, glad no one was hurt.

Alynys

I am sorry you are dealing with all of this but glad everyone is ok. I was in a bad accident 4 weeks ago and although only 1 car seat was occupied I ended up getting the money for the 3 carseats plus booster that was in the car. Your insurance should be giving you a check for carseat replacement then they fight it out with the other company. I had some struggle with them when they found out my seats were expensive but in the end all I did was email them photos of seats with a photo of its respective serial number and I had a check 2 days later once that was received. I personally didn't have an extra $1000 laying around to replace them first with having to go
out and find a new vehicle, rental etc.
Good luck!! Also some carseat manuf will send you a letter stating the seat needs to be replaced that you can give to your insurance company as well

clmchrissy

Just because your insurance company is handling your vehicle repairs doesn't mean you still can't ask AAA to replace your seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC