Question Infant seat decision!!

U

Unregistered

I am trying to decide between 3 infant car seats, for my 2009 nissan versa. I've narrowed my choices down to a keyfit, snugride32/35 or the newer Safety 1st Air Protect On Board Air. The seat will have to fit behind a passenger seat as I already have my 2 1/2 year old in a roundabout. I am looking for one that is easy to install and use. I like how small the base of the keyfit is, but sales people keep telling me only people with preemies buy those???? (I'm expecting about an 8 lb baby) I think the snugride would be fine, but they look a little bulky and I'm not a huge fan of their fabrics. I like the look of the air protect and have read some great reviews, but it is so new ( not a lot of info) and also looks longer than other seats I wonder if the front seats would have to be moved too far forward. I'm not too worried about how long the seat will last as my toddler has almost outgrown his RB so the new baby will have that seat as an option when the time comes. Any advice would be appreciated. Also where would you place your newborn in the car, behind the driver or the passenger since the center is not an option? Thanks!

ADS

amyd

Honestly, I'd imagine that any of those would install well in your car & probably all fit too (although, you may be right that the On Board is a bit long...you should probably try it before you buy if you choose that one). Lots of people with full term babies buy the KeyFit, but the sales person is correct that it's often recommended for preemies. It will not last as long as the other 2, but if that's not important to you & you like the fabrics, go for that one. We have a Safeseat (older version of the Snugride 32/35, only goes to 30lbs, but same shell) and you're right, it's bulky and heavy. If all install well, I personally would choose the one you like the best (best fabric, design, install, whatever criteria is important to you). As far as driver or passenger side, both are equally safe. Put it where it's convenient for you. If you do a lot of street parking, I'd probably put the infant seat on the driver's side so you're not getting your toddler out on the street side. That's how I'm planning to set up my car once our second child arrives in the spring. I have a 2.5 yo too.

chay

amyd covered everything.

When DD was a baby I had her passenger side and DS (he was 2.25 when she was born) was behind the driver. I'd get out undo DS's buckles and then close the door and walk around while he climbed out of his RF seat (this usually took a few seconds so he was occupied and couldn't torment DD). I'd then get DD out and DS would then climb out on his own. That way we were all on the sidewalk if we were street parking, I never had to let go of DS's hand to get the bucket out and I never had to put DD down which I hated doing if I was in a parking lot. It was also easier to pop DD's soother back in at a light - I couldn't reach when she was behind.

Whatever works.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC