New Graco Safe seat 3-in-1

ADS

skylinphoto

Re: New Grace Safe seat 3-in-1

Am I the only one who doesnt like the idea of a base with a heavy older child?

Mae

Nope. I don't like it either.

And we've discussed this before. Lemme find the thread.

ETA: Here are the two threads that are currently going on about it:
News Tweets from Darren at Graco Event
News Kecia- Some Graco Smart Seat Answers for You (and everyone else, too)!

Here are two old ones, that have a lot of detail/information:
The All New Graco Smart Seat 3-in-1! - Automated Feed from the Official Car-Seat.Org Blog!
Graco all-in-one

And the link to the carseatblog post about it.

Also, it's called the Graco Smart Seat 3-in-1. ;)

amelia222

Nope, the first thing I thought of was infant seats that have been recalled because of detaching from their bases. Now add twice the weight pulling on whatever connects the seat and base...I'm not convinced that is a good idea.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member

I'm not really very impressed to be honest. The RF recline for older toddlers, although they seem to be addressing it, the 17 inch top slots, the fact that it wont booster to a safe seatbelt age. Over all it seem to be a bit innovative. BUT its still a jack of all trades, master of none.....I'm interested to see where the design goes from here.

I'm also wondering if Darren or anyone else knows anything about the seat?

And I agree, a base with a 65lbs child? I'm NOT an engineer but it seem sliek there are a lot of possible failure points.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member

Nope. I don't like it either.

And we've discussed this before. Lemme find the thread.

ETA: Here are the two threads that are currently going on about it:
News Tweets from Darren at Graco Event
News Kecia- Some Graco Smart Seat Answers for You (and everyone else, too)!

Here are two old ones, that have a lot of detail/information:
The All New Graco Smart Seat 3-in-1! - Automated Feed from the Official Car-Seat.Org Blog!
Graco all-in-one

And the link to the carseatblog post about it.

Also, it's called the Graco Smart Seat 3-in-1. ;)

Ahh, thanks! I was certain that I wasnt the first to know! lol

Judi

CPST/Firefighter

Still looks interesting. Can't wait to play with one!

urchin_grey

To me, this seems more like a niche seat than anything. You know, like the person who transports 5 different kids, but at different times? All you'd need is this seat and a Literider. ;)

That is, assuming you're okay with the whole base thing. I don't really like it myself. Obviously a base is probably the only way to make a 3-in-1 that also makes a good booster, but I would rather see the belt path in the actual seat.

christineka

You HAVE to use the base, and it weighs 35lbs(!). That's it. Not interested.

Wow! The regent weighs 25 pounds. I think it's super duper heavy. I think this new graco all in one sounds good, but isn't that super. I wish they would quit worrying about doing it all and just make a better rfing seat (something to rf to 45 pounds and slim) and a better ffing combo seat (headrest doesn't push childrens' heads forward, deeper seat, better booster)- and make some better covers for the nautilus.

tl01

I think for the main stream it is a much better 3 in 1 choice than the other ones out there... though the price is a lot higher too. Except for the base feature (which is a pro and a con) I like this seat for a lot of reasons. I could use this seat for transporting different sized kids and could change the configuration a lot easier than with other seats. For example, if I need to use my radian RFing and then FFing, I have to mess with the boot, change the harness height, and then reinstall. It is a really flexible seat and seems to do lots of roles pretty well so far. It will be interesting to see how this seat works out in real life.

Kobain's Mommy

I actually like it. The base idea makes it nicer for my parents. Right now I have to buy 4 diffrent seats. But when DS was still in his bucket I just needed 4 bases and 1 seat. I just wish the RF recline wasn't so harsh for older infants/toddlers and that it would have an non base option. That being said I wouldn't rush out tomrorow to get it.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
To me, this seems more like a niche seat than anything. You know, like the person who transports 5 different kids, but at different times? All you'd need is this seat and a Literider. ;)

I think it would be a great seat for social workers or short-term foster parents.

And no, I don't like the idea of the base, but maybe that's why the whole thing weighs so much?

firemomof3

I agree that this seat will work for some but for me personally...no way. At first I was really excited about this seat but with it weighing 35lbs. and having to use the base, that makes me very nervous :twocents:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm cautiously optimistic about this seat. Don't know if I'll ever cough up the cash for it, but I can also say that if it was on the market right now, there's a 99% possibility I would purchase it. (I have two children who share a spot with me -- literally, in the case of my vehicle. The best plan of action ends up being reinstalling on a daily basis.)

If they popped up the upper harness height by an inch or two, then I would definitely buy it.

The 35lb weight doesn't bother me too much -- although I'm assuming it's because the base is solid/heavy, not necessarily the body of the seat. That makes me a lot more comfortable using the base. I mean, would I trust my 65lb child to a SR22 base? Of course not. But to a base that's built like a Radian? I'd be a lot more inclined to take that leap of faith. So if the seat weighs as much as the Nautilus, and the base is heavy on top of it, 35lbs doesn't surprise me.

Even if this seat itself doesn't turn out to be the best thing since sliced bread, Graco still gets points for innovation. It's maybe the first truly new idea I can recall seeing since I've been here, aside from Britax' slideguard.

The seat's still in prototype, I know -- given that they plan to make changes, how long until they're hoping to release it? A year yet?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC