Would you be ok with this?

my2kidsSafe

DD is 6 and roughly 55 lbs. About a month ago we moved her from the regent to the graco high back in my van. She does great in it. 99.9 percent of the time the family will drive in my van. I just started working part time on wednesdays doing the desk at her dance studio, which is also ds' preschool. Its perfect since they are both in school when i am working. I worked till 230 and ds goes to school till 1. I am allowed to have him there but every other week dh will be able to pick him up. Since we moved dd to the booster, ds has gotten the regent. I have since moved the MA to dh's car so he can just use that when he picks ds up. Prior to this we were switching vehicles at pickup time. Which was fine but now no longer necessary. DD might fit in the MA by height but if she does it is very close. I want to have seat available for her in dh's car in case she is ever sick at school and he needs to pick her up. This is a very unlikely chance as it is i only work wednesdays but i would rather be prepared. Do you think it would be ok to get a cheap backless booster for situations like this? It is very unlikely that this would happen. I hate to spend alot of money on a seat that will most likely never be used. In the event that my car is in the shop and we use dh's car, i will of course take her regular booster out and use that.

ADS

myliljunebugs

Could you just leave her booster at the school on Wed's? This is what Ex and I did when DS first switched full time to a booster. It is kind of a pain, but not really so much. I just always had the what if running through my head. "What if THAT is the one time DH gets in a car accident." You know? I always keep my kids as safe as I feel they should be all the time, even for short rides. Just a thought

andre149

At 6 I wouldn't be comfortable with her in a backless. I would either leave her booster at school with her or pick up a tb for dad's car. Check swap, at least that will save you a little off of brand new :)

my2kidsSafe

she takes a bus so i can't leave a booster at school. It wouldn't be for normal everyday pickup. It would be if she is ever sick at school and needs to come home.

Also we live 5 minutes by car from the school.

Dillipop

For the unlikely scenario you are describing, I'd be ok with a backless. She is old enough, big enough (by 15 lbs), and it's only for emergencies. Get the backless and keep it in dh's trunk. Then you'll also have an extra seat if you transport dd's friends.

monstah

I would also be totally OK with a backless in situations like you describe. As a matter of fact, I picked up a $13.50 Harmony from Walmart only a few hours ago "just in case" for my DS and he is 5 years old and 54.5 pounds. :thumbsup:

karlatta

In that situation, I'd be okay with it.

If it were going to turn into something where she ends up riding in it for any trip out with her dad, I wouldn't be okay with that.

babyherder

Personally, no I wouldn't. I'd rather have a backup that I'm ok using. But I don't think its wrong of you to use a backless for your dd.

What if you put the regent in your DH's car and the MA back in the van for your DS? Then you would have a seat that would fit both kids in the car. Or pick up a high back booster for your dd? They're relatively cheap and it can't hurt to have an extra. I think having a backup backless booster is good too but you seen to be questioning it so why not get something you don't wonder about.

sirrahn

Personally I'm absolutely ok with a backless in a pinch for any kid who fits in it properly. Would I want it as an everyday seat for a 6 yr old? No, but she's big enough and as long as the seatbelt fits her properly in your DH's car with it, she is properly restrained.

I will also recommend the Harmony Literider. It's comfortable, inexpensive, and does an excellent job of positioning the seatbelt on all the kids in all the vehicles I've used it in so far.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't think a backless booster for rare use by a 6yo is misuse and I don't think it's terrible, but (question in the title) I would not be okay with it if there were other alternatives, and there are. I would scrape together the funds for an inexpensive highbacked booster.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I would be okay with the backless for backup, but only if the shoulder belt fit without having to use that crappy seat-belt router. (Aside from being a general PITA, I know my dh wouldn't use it correctly.) Otherwise I'd insist on a HBB as the backless.

amy&girls

my 7yr old has a harmony literider in my husbands car. I didn't want to spend lots of money on something (since I was taking the turbo out of his car for my 5yr old to use, I needed something in there, just in case) and its been in there since July, and she's used it once. (my husband had to run and get her from school since I was at the doctor) That's how rare it is for her to be in my husbands car. It just sits in the trunk normally, b/c no one uses it. My other girls share usage of an Apex65 in there. So its the only seat that is actually installed in there. for a situation your describing, I'd just get the literider.

DahliaRW

For emergency backup I'd be fine with that. In fact, my in-laws have a (never used) backless booster in their 2nd car just in case (simply because ds1 uses a built in volvo booster in their primery car and they are our emergency contacts and wanted something in their second vehicle just in case they had to get him from school and the primary vehicle wasn't available).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC