Question New seat for tiny 2yr old?

MamaRia

My RA is expiring next month and my petite, 30"; 19lb 2 yr old daughter may need a new seat. I do have a new Evenflo Titan 5 but it is lacking serious padding (stripped down model) and can replace this if need be. I tried my Radian RF but it it too darn tall in my minivan and she just looks very cramped in it. I have to install it more upright (she is behind the driver) and she complains horribly so. This seat worked well for my son but not so for her.
I am looking at the new RA's for her or even a more padded Titan or similar. She is tiny - I am not concerned with her outgrowing height in any car seat. My concern is safety, comfort for her, and being able to have the driver seat reclined as needed (was able to do with with the current RA, can do it with the Titan, but NOT so with the Radian).
Any input is greatly appreciated.

ADS

Jennifer mom to my 7

Are there any medical issues to be considered? I would look at the myride 65, the safety first complete air, or the evenflo triumph advance or triumph 65.

What minivan is it? Year?

skylinphoto

I have a small kiddo too (2.5 yrs old, 20lbs, 34in).
I recently bought her two different seats that are working really well for us. A Roundabout 50 and a Combi Coccoro. The RA50 gives her TONS of growing room.

I am in love with the Coccoro. See my thread here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1477192#post1477192. This seat wont fit most kids for a long time..but my small kiddo will likely fit RFing until 4 yrs old in it. So, this seat works very well for us.

I have also tried her in a Graco Myride and she was very cozy in it. :) It cradled her wonderfully due to its high sides.

jnamommy

My dd has almost the same stats :D
After we replaced the Roundabaout (which fit her great and she loved it), we put her in a Radian and a Complete Air LX. She fits great in both, and seems very comfy in both. Either one can fit in the captains chairs of our minivan, or in the middle of the SUV.

Honestly, at that size, I think almost any seat would work (or at least it seemed that way with my dd). It just depends on what features you want and what fits in your vehicle.

MamaRia

Are there any medical issues to be considered? I would look at the myride 65, the safety first complete air, or the evenflo triumph advance or triumph 65.

What minivan is it? Year?

No medical issues. It's a 2004 Dodge Gr. Caravan.

I just went to BRU and tried her out in seats. She can fit in almost anything:p but the one I really liked on her was the Evenflo Titan Elite. It has great padding and she looked so comfy in it. I also liked the Evenflo Triumph Advance - love the easy way to do the shoulder straps and the knob to tighten/loosen the straps, but it's bigger and bulkier. My plan is to wait till they go on sale, then decide. I thank you all for your input - it really helps:D

MamaRia

I have a small kiddo too (2.5 yrs old, 20lbs, 34in).
I recently bought her two different seats that are working really well for us. A Roundabout 50 and a Combi Coccoro. The RA50 gives her TONS of growing room.

I am in love with the Coccoro. See my thread here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1477192#post1477192. This seat wont fit most kids for a long time..but my small kiddo will likely fit RFing until 4 yrs old in it. So, this seat works very well for us.

I have also tried her in a Graco Myride and she was very cozy in it. :) It cradled her wonderfully due to its high sides.

Wow, that Coccoro is intriguing! I need to check that out also. Thank you!!! Can you tell me the height of that seat? My big concern is not enough room and it hitting the drivers seat too much for the driver to recline a bit.

nevaehsmommy

My niece is 2 1/2 and 20 lbs. She has a myride and LOVES it. We have used it for her baby sister and she get mad "my seat, my cup holder,mine" She has low muscle tone and she does fabulous is in.

skylinphoto

Wow, that Coccoro is intriguing! I need to check that out also. Thank you!!! Can you tell me the height of that seat? My big concern is not enough room and it hitting the drivers seat too much for the driver to recline a bit.

The Coccoro is so small front to back that it will fit RFing in just about any car. It's made for small cars.
We have it in our mazda3 and the coccoro is so compact that if my dh were to scoot the drivers seat back as far as he can, hed be too far away from the steering wheel!!! lol.
If you do some searching, you'll see that it takes up much less room front to back that almost any other seat out there (infant and convertibles).

But, it's not the right seat for everyone. It will get most normal sized kids to 18 mo-2yrs old RFing. For small kids like ours, it can work until 3-4 yrs RFing though. :)

MamaRia

The Coccoro is so small front to back that it will fit RFing in just about any car. It's made for small cars.
We have it in our mazda3 and the coccoro is so compact that if my dh were to scoot the drivers seat back as far as he can, hed be too far away from the steering wheel!!! lol.
If you do some searching, you'll see that it takes up much less room front to back that almost any other seat out there (infant and convertibles).

But, it's not the right seat for everyone. It will get most normal sized kids to 18 mo-2yrs old RFing. For small kids like ours, it can work until 3-4 yrs RFing though. :)

This sounds like a really good seat to keep in the running. Can you tell me any probs you've had with it tipping? I came across that while searching for it. I can kind of see how this happens as the base is very curvy.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I have a Coccoro for DS and I have never had any issues with tipping with a seat belt install in the center of a Jeep Liberty. If you have issues with getting the right recline, Combi has a wedge that they will send to you that can help. I believe they send it at no charge. I :love: our Coccoro. It probably won't fit DS RF past 2 but that just gives me an excuse to get another seat. ;) It also makes a great travel seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC