Car seat for "little person" (dwarfism

O

owings80

My son has a rare form of dwarfism, and has difficulty sitting in a car bench or captains seat. He is 42 inches tall and weighs 135. The seat belt, lap and shoulder, does not fit properly, and exposes him to injury. We are forced to have him ride in his power wheel chair. Where can I purchase a booster car seat that will afford a degree of protection, and comfort?
Your assistance will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

John Owings
owings80 AT aol DOT com

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
How old is your son?

The widest booster seat on the market is the Cosco Apex. It is a a combination harness-to-booster seat: your son is well over the harness limit* but once the harness is removed, it is a very wide booster seat that should position the belts appropriately.

* He is also technically over the booster weight limit for this or any other booster on the market (ETA: except for some special-needs seats, but I honestly think the Apex would give a better fit for a person of the proportions you state).

I cannot advise you to use a seat against manufacturer's instructions, but I can tell you that if I had a 42"/135# child, I would put that child in a booster over the limit as I think it is the least-bad choice available to you. I'm sorry that I can't give you any better suggestions.

Last edited:

Jennifer mom to my 7

How old is your son?

The widest booster seat on the market is the Cosco Apex. It is a a combination harness-to-booster seat: your son is well over the harness limit* but once the harness is removed, it is a very wide booster seat that should position the belts appropriately.

* He is also technically over the booster weight limit for this or any other booster on the market. I cannot advise you to use a seat against manufacturer's instructions, but I can tell you that if I had a 42"/135# child, I would put that child in a booster over the limit as I think it is the least-bad choice available to you. I'm sorry that I can't give you any better suggestions.

Everything chickabiddy said. I also wonder if the monterey would work. He would also be over the weight limit for it, but it might help position the belt properly.

I am also curious as to whether the weight might be a typo?

I wanted to add, I realize, as he has dwarfism, that the weight might just be correct, as proportions can be very off.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC