Should I stick to the Titan or get something else?

CarmenJ

Hello, new here. I hope you don't mind a long post. I'm having some second thoughts about our seat.

My dd is 5mos, 17lbs, 26in. We've had her in a Graco Snugride since birth. My father bought me an Evenflo Titan before she was born; we even installed it in the car but took it out at the hospital in favor of the Snugride because I couldn't imagine putting my little baby in such a big seat. :eek: It hasn't been installed since.

I post on another board, mostly pretty crunchy moms. They all talk about rear-facing and I'd never met anyone who rear-faced past 1yr, never knew people did that. Now I plan to keep her rear-facing as long as possible.

It seems the Titan has a rear-facing limit of 30 pounds. I guess I can hold on to it as a spare seat until she outgrows it, but would rather have "the last seat I'll ever buy" sooner rather than later (and here I thought before she was born that the Titan was that seat :( ) ... does such a thing exist for under $150? High RF weight/height limit? Most any seat I've seen in my price range has a pretty similar RF weight limit.

ADS

momof2kiddos

If you get a fisher-price deluxe voyage,Here it is for $129 in black http://www.specialtybaby.com/fiprsavodeco1.html and $149 in red http://www.specialtybaby.com/fiprsavodeco2.html ,it will last your baby until 4-5 yrs old and then at that time you can buy a dedicated high back booster for less then $100 or you can maybe by then buy a regent or another harnessed seat that harnesses until 80 pounds.That gives you a lot of time.But no right now at your baby's age their is not a seat that would be the last seat you will ever need for her because she will need to be a in a booster until 8-12 yrs old.

Last edited:

easterbun

FWIW we had a Titan as our "spare" seat for DH's car and HATED it - the harness was almost always lopsided (after barely pulling on one side to buckle) and nearly impossible to even out without superhuman strength, and the straps were always twisty.. it was just a pain to use. I was shocked that CR had it as their top rated seat when in reality it was relatively difficult to use...

Ultimately we bought another Boulevard for DH's truck when we could afford to because I was so fed up with the Titan.

That said, I don't believe it to be a bad seat in and of itself... you may or may not have the same issues with it I did, but if you'd rather replace it now than in a year or so, I'd go with the FP seat linked...

CarmenJ

Thanks. I guess I will use the Titan for now and see how she does height- and weight-wise ... maybe I can get a nice Britax later before she outgrows the Titan RFing. But for a difference of 3 pounds at the end of the RF spectrum, I'm not going to replace anything right now unless the Titan drives me nuts. I was hoping for more of a difference.

Why don't seats RF longer? I kept looking after I made the first post and couldn't find any that RF past 35 pounds. DD may be the exception to the rule, which would be really nice, but 35 pounds wouldn't have gone far for many kids in our family.

Hi, Sarah! :) (I'm MrsJohnston from the Pin.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Thanks. I guess I will use the Titan for now and see how she does height- and weight-wise ... maybe I can get a nice Britax later before she outgrows the Titan RFing. But for a difference of 3 pounds at the end of the RF spectrum, I'm not going to replace anything right now unless the Titan drives me nuts. I was hoping for more of a difference.

Why don't seats RF longer? I kept looking after I made the first post and couldn't find any that RF past 35 pounds. DD may be the exception to the rule, which would be really nice, but 35 pounds wouldn't have gone far for many kids in our family.

Hi, Sarah! :) (I'm MrsJohnston from the Pin.)

Three pounds can be a LOT, or a little, depending on the kid. My kids would have been WAY too tall for the Titan, RF and FF, well before 30 pounds at about age 3. Some kids hit 30, 33, 35 pounds at age 12-18 months... Here's my dd, she was actually too tall for the 35 pound Cosco seats when she hit 33 pounds http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Don't be too excited about 'the last seat she'll need', that's a marketing gimmick that's about as realistic as 'the last pair of shoes your kid will need!' Most kids need at least 4... So they can rearface to at least age 2-3, forward face harnessed to age 5-6, and be in a booster till age 8-12 or so when the adult seatbelt fits them properly (www.boosterseat.gov).

I think you can use the Titan for a year or so before you decide on what will keep her rearfacing longer (like the Safety 1st Uptown if she's heavy, or the Marathon if she's a string bean, for example).

I never post at the pin, but I LOVE reading there! :)

DallasMommies

FWIW, my 22 month old is just about out of the Titan at 37" and 33lbs, and he's been using it since 4 months. I have no complaints - found it easy to install in a variety of vehicles (rf and ff), have no problems adjusting the straps, it's easy enough to fix the straps when they twist, and the cover has held up through several machine washings.. Granted I've never used say, a Britax, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. :p

Unless money is no object, I'd stick with the Titan. By the time you're ready to upgrade, there may be something better on the market.

cantech

Had to throw in my:twocents: ...

I chose the Titan for my DD3 who is now 5. IIRC she was about 3 when I finally turned her forward facing. She's long and lean and fit well in the seat(at least rearfacing). I never had a problem with the seat. It's since been used by two of my friends for their children and I haven't heard a bad word about it yet, and if it came to a car seat of mine not working trust me they would have let me know!

It won't last long forward facing if you use it to the max rear facing but, if you've already got it and it works well for you now I wouldn't borrow trouble. Use it for as long as you're able and then start looking for the next one. Who knows what might be out then!

HTH

Belinda

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC