In the market for a car

vonfirmath

We have a 2002 Pontiac Montana (a minivan) that we found out will cost about $1500 to fix an intermittent brake/ABS/tracking system problem.

The car is worth about $150

So we're in the market for another car

We have about $10000 max we can spend on said car. This van cost us $5000 3 years ago and lasted us 3 years. So... We think maybe we can spend more and have it last longer? Or maybe we should stay in the $5000-$6000 range? Is having it last 3 years when we spent that much reasonable?

We are a family of 3, trying to have more. Ideally, we want 4 kids. Realistically, that is not going to happen.

We're trying to decide where to go from here. Station Wagon? I loved my 1999 Saturn station Wagon I had at one point. Another van? Our other car is a Pontiac Grand Am we really dislike so another sedan is not a good option, methinks.

ADS

Why don't you like sedans?

What exactly are you looking for? More room is always nice, but you've only got 3 people. A minivan or big SUV could be overkill unless you've got some lifestyle that could use the space.

Shoot, I dunno when he'll turn FF but once he does, you could prolly survive in a coupe.

vonfirmath

He's FF now. I fixed my signature.

But we are also trying to get pregnant and have another kid. So a Coupe is out of the question. We'd like a car that lasts a while.

Van: room to carry stuff, room to carry people. Admittedly, not used a LOT. But on vacation its nice to have the room.

We figured a station wagon would give us the same space option.

The Grand Am we have now has huge blind spots that I can not see through. The Buick Skylark I had at one point also had problems. So maybe we've just had bad experiences in the past with sedans?

amyd

We just bought a Mazda 5 and it's perfect for our family size (1 & 1 on the way). Not sure what they go for used, though.

You're just buying the wrong sedans. Normally, visibility is excellent in sedans. It's the other body styles where visibility is worse.

The problem with wagons is any 3rd row ones are the rear facing ones that severely limit who you can stick back there. Plus, the high load floor makes them less efficient than vans at carrying cargo. Wagons really can only be compared to SUVs as they're really just lowered versions of them.

If you do have two kids, then the van does start to make more sense. With $10,000, that's such a large amount that pretty much anything is possible. I'd go with either a sedan or a minivan. Stick with the ones with reps for long life. Meaning, drive by a rental car place (other than Enterprise) and see what's on the lot. Then, look at models other than what you see on the rental lots first.

Mugsmom

I'd definitely look at the Mazda 5. We just recently bought an Ody, and while we were at the dealership I saw a Mazda 5 that was used but not very old, and sticker price was about 11,000. It looked like a really cool vehicle, with plenty of space. I think it's a better option than a wagon, because you can either have the cargo space, or flip it up to have the 3rd row seating.

Rebelnicky04

I just bought an 07 Chrysler Sebring with 60k miles on it for $9995.00 in my area. The payment is VERY affordable and the car is great. I was even able to get one with a moonroof, heated seats, and all of the options I wanted. It is of course a 4 door and the backseat and trunk have an ample amount of space. I can fit 2 Marathons and a CCO in my backseat without any trouble and had 3 strollers,2 pack and plays, and a diaper genie in my trunk at the same time :whistle: I absolutely love this car!!! I get 23-26 mpg and that's with the V6 engine. If you do get pregnant you have plenty of room for another baby and it will last you long enough that if you decide for a 3rd you can still sell it and recoup some of the money back. You also may look into an extended warranty on the car which is what we did. Chrysler offers one that is $1800 (which can be financed) and for $100 deductible it covers bumper to bumper anything that may go wrong for 3 years unlimited mileage. We have bad luck so we always make sure to purchase one of those plans and you almost always end up getting your money back out of one. Good luck and keep us updated!

Is it super cheap? Engine is crappy and it's on the small side, but if it's thousands cheaper than a Honda or Toyota, that can easily make up for it.

Rebelnicky04

My mom has an 07 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT and has had it since it was almost new... I used to want one until I saw all of the problems she has had with hers. The interiors are chintzy and pieces have broke off of the stow and go seats without even having kids or anyone rough housing on them. They literally snap off in your hand. The electronic doors have closed almost the entire family in them and hurt everyone at least once... sometimes they randomly open or do not open at all. The transmission has been replaced twice and it has less than 80k on it.... and she has had to have various little things done it as well as A/C work this past summer.

If you do decide to get one be sure to get an extended warranty because trust me from our experience you will have problems. :whistle:

vonfirmath

It is a 2006 Caravan XLT with very low miles that my parents have had since it was brand new with no problems. It is a definite plus for me that I know regular maintenance has been done, how it has been driven, etc. Oh and that our car seats fit in it with no problem.

The Sienna and Odyssey are not in our price range. Edmunds prices an "average" Sienna as $4K more than we are paying, private party. The only example I can find with the same miles is $10K more than we are paying.

The Honda Odyssey prices are more expensive.

Well, when you know the history of the car like that, that's completely different. I say go for it. And yeah, the $4K difference would definitely sway things in favor of the Caravan as well.

vonfirmath

Well, when you know the history of the car like that, that's completely different. I say go for it. And yeah, the $4K difference would definitely sway things in favor of the Caravan as well.

I hope it makes a difference. I am definitely put at pause by the number of people that have had problems. But its the car I have been wanting since the first time I rode in one (literally, the same car. We drove to a reunion with my parents in it back in 2006 when it was brand new) and I only came across reliability problems when I started researching -- was sorta hoping that I would not find them in actual users since my parents' experience has been so good!

But yes, the price is hard to beat. I may be back a year down the road with lots of problems and saying "I should have listened to you guys", but hard to tell at this point... I'm definitely going to change our budgetting process to put aside more money for buying the next car so we have, hopefully, even more give in the budget then to get something more reliable.

Every car can be a lemon. Even cars with a rep for problems can be a perfectly good one. It's hard to tell how much of the problems come from people treating their cars like crap. Some cars just attract people who don't take care of their cars. Sometimes, the owners are fine and it's really the car. Too many variables.

When you intimately know the personal history of a particular car, that helps. Doesn't guarantee anything, but at least you can take more comfort than a regular used car.

Rebelnicky04

If you can get a deal on it girl go for it!!!! :thumbsup: I agree I loved theirs too. Keep us updated and good luck with your new car. Getting a new car is always exciting.

emntheboys

Here are some common problems that Carvans/T & C's have that you should ask your parents about...

We had an '05 T & C that we bought almost new with 17k. When we sold it three years later with 56k on it, it was using an extra 2 quarts of oil every 2,000 miles. :eek: My grandparents had an '08 that had the exact same problem, so they traded it for a brand new '10 with the good warranty. This is apparently a very common problem that is not talked about much and Chrysler/Dodge will not do anything to help if you are out of warranty.

Other things to watch for- front suspension problems. We had to do new struts, new sway bar links, new rack & pinion, and we had to do the brakes twice. When we got rid of it, we still had an unsettling clunk in the front end every time we went over a bump. No one could figure out what was wrong with it. These are things that should not be happening on a less than 5 year old less than 60k mile vehicle.

I'm not saying these things to try to sway you against the Caravan. Since these are fairly common problems, I thought you would like to know so you can ask your parents before you buy. Even though we had a terrible experience with our van (it was obviously a lemon), I know many MANY others who love them and have never had a problem.

Good luck!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC