Booster with no head rest or just seatbelt?

nevaehsmommy

My sisters van is a 99 Caravan. The head rest did not come with it for the back seat. All but one of her kids are in a harnessed seat. The one in a booster is 7 years old and about 50# He is currently in a NBB turbo. When he sits in the booster his head is way over the back of the seat and rest on the MR that is RFing behind him. However when he rides w/o the booster his head is below the seat and not rubbing on the MR. The seatbelt itself is on one of those guides and it goes down low enough to be correct on his shoulders but not so much on his hips but kinda rides up on his upper hips low belly.

And if you know how much do the silly head rest cost.

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
She would be best off getting him a high back booster that will position the seat belt properly and provide adequate head support. That means no Dorel boosters, because they are not reinforced and require the support of a head rest/tall seat back. The Graco Turbobooster is a great go-to choice, and you can often find it for around $50 in the high back version. :thumbsup:

nevaehsmommy

I dont see her buying a booster for him. I am thinking of buying him a HBB for christmas . She has told me that is a poor choice of a present. He likes camo and I saw one in HBB.

Money is REALLY tight right now. I dont want to make her sound like she is a lousey mom or something. But the transmission just went out and with other misc cost of other repairs the bill came to $2100 (on a teachers aide pay)

So do you think a booster is a horrible present?

keri1292

So it has the holes for a headrest, it's just missing? :confused:

If so, a trip to the junkyard/local pull-a-part place will fix that right up. :thumbsup:

monstah

So it has the holes for a headrest, it's just missing? :confused:

If so, a trip to the junkyard/local pull-a-part place will fix that right up. :thumbsup:

That's what I was going to suggest. :thumbsup:

If they are compatible, I have headrests from a 99 Voyager (I think they are clones?? I can't remember) and I would ship them free of charge.

wvmommy007

So do you think a booster is a horrible present?

I personally don't think its horrible. I recently bought my cousin's 3 y/o a Maestro for his bday, but he likes car seats and LOVED the cupholders. So if you find one you think he'd really like, I'd give it as a present. Plus, you'd know you helped keep him safer.

However, if you think his mom would return it or make fun of it, I'd hesitate.

Mommy0608

Are ALL of the rear seats missing the headrests? If not, could the car seats be rearranged so that he sits in a position with a headrest?

Otherwise, I agree that a trip to the scrap yard would be a good idea. Not sure on the booster for the child's present... if he's really into car seats then sure, but otherwise he might not be thrilled with it.

nevaehsmommy

That's what I was going to suggest. :thumbsup:

If they are compatible, I have headrests from a 99 Voyager (I think they are clones?? I can't remember) and I would ship them free of charge.

I could not ask you to do that! That is a nice offer though.

And yes there are holes with these little plug things in them.

He hates sitting in the booster. His dad does not make him use it. If he were my kid he would be in a harness. He is all over the seat ,ducking stretching horrible. He was never properly boostered trained and his bio mom could care less, but I was thinking if he had a cool booster he would WANT to use it vs being forced.

nevaehsmommy

There are 5 seats in the back. a row of three in the way back where the two babies are rear facing and then the second row with two seats. None of them have the head rest.

The boostered child is in the middle row to keep him from disturbing the seat buckles on the rear facers. The middle row you have to pull the belt from near the door and he was forever stepping on it.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I do not think a booster seat is a terrible present for a child who needs a booster seat. Clothes are not that exciting of a gift either but lots of kids get them.

swtgi1982

The evenflo big kid is on sale at WM right now for 29.50 and with the coupon on evenflo.com you can take 5.00 off that

nevaehsmommy

The evenflo big kid is on sale at WM right now for 29.50 and with the coupon on evenflo.com you can take 5.00 off that

He likes the Camo one from the First Years. It is like $80. He said it was "way cool" when I showed it to him. I was looking at car seats and he said I was lame. SO I was like I bet I can show you one you would like.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC