Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

A good weekend talking about carseats!

I worked at our local Parent & Child show this weekend on the Sunshine Kids stand... soooooo much fun!

I had the opportunity to talk to so many parents to be about the importance of choosing a restraint that allows longer rearfacing, dates of manufacture of seats & expiry dates, shell heights, the importance of correct installation & how important it is to ask questions if they're not sure. We also spoke about safe times for children to move up to boosters... there were at least 2 families that came onto the stand to buy a Monterey for their just turned 3 yr old as their current harnessed restraint was needed for a younger sibling, but they ended up purchasing a Radian instead & at least one of those families were going to use it rf'ing for the 3 yr old

I spoke to one couple who turned their 7 mth old ff'ing because her feet were touching the vehicle seat while rf'ing & they were told it was safe by the Aus standards manufacturer of their restraint - those poor parents were mortified at the information they had been given & told me they were going to turn her restraint back to rf'ing for the trip home & come along to a babywearing support meeting this week so I can check their installation for them!

New Zealand has such a long way to go & such a lot of old attitudes to change, especially amongst care providers who provide the most information to new parents & don't understand how different standards seats work so differently from the Australian standards they've worked with for so long - to the point of being prepared to dangerously mis-use US standards seats We have even heard that some of the people with in this service tell parents that they HAVE to turn their child ff'ing at 12 mths

Being able to concentrate on showing parents about choosing a restraint for the first time, showing them crash test videos for rear vs forward facing & what they need to look for in a restraint was so rewarding! I really do hope we made a difference for those parents that we spoke to!
    Rochelle... Kiwi Mum to...

Mr D 2002 - Monterey
    Miss M 2004 - Monterey
    Miss A 2006 - ERF in a Britax TWE!

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: A good weekend talking about carseats!

Yay! Glad it went well and so many parents were receptive to the info

sounds like you spread a lot of info and helped a lot of people!

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Yay

I have convinced my neighbour to rf her ds to the maximum of his seat, unfortunately it is an Australian seat and only rf to 12 kg Her ds is 11.4kg I might have to lend her my spare Swedish seat I figure if I can convince only one person that is one baby safer
    Chrissy Mum to : Ds Isaac(6) & dd Annabelle(2)

Carseat Crazy

sounds like a good weekend.

you NZ ladies may know Bonnie? she put up a wealth of information on the Tradme message boards about rearfacing and that was the first place I learned about it. even before I had children I decided that I would keep my children rearfacing for as long as possible

Quote Originally Posted by mumof2 View Post
    sounds like a good weekend.

you NZ ladies may know Bonnie? she put up a wealth of information on the Tradme message boards about rearfacing and that was the first place I learned about it. even before I had children I decided that I would keep my children rearfacing for as long as possible
    Yes, I know Bonnie & still chat to her occasionally, although I haven't caught up with her in a while. The TWE I'm currently playing with is actually her old seat!
    Rochelle... Kiwi Mum to...

Mr D 2002 - Monterey
    Miss M 2004 - Monterey
    Miss A 2006 - ERF in a Britax TWE!