A good weekend talking about carseats!

KiwiGem

I worked at our local Parent & Child show this weekend on the Sunshine Kids stand... soooooo much fun!

I had the opportunity to talk to so many parents to be about the importance of choosing a restraint that allows longer rearfacing, dates of manufacture of seats & expiry dates, shell heights, the importance of correct installation & how important it is to ask questions if they're not sure. We also spoke about safe times for children to move up to boosters... there were at least 2 families that came onto the stand to buy a Monterey for their just turned 3 yr old as their current harnessed restraint was needed for a younger sibling, but they ended up purchasing a Radian instead & at least one of those families were going to use it rf'ing for the 3 yr old :D

I spoke to one couple who turned their 7 mth old ff'ing because her feet were touching the vehicle seat while rf'ing & they were told it was safe by the Aus standards manufacturer of their restraint - those poor parents were mortified at the information they had been given & told me they were going to turn her restraint back to rf'ing for the trip home & come along to a babywearing support meeting this week so I can check their installation for them!

New Zealand has such a long way to go & such a lot of old attitudes to change, especially amongst care providers who provide the most information to new parents & don't understand how different standards seats work so differently from the Australian standards they've worked with for so long - to the point of being prepared to dangerously mis-use US standards seats :mad: We have even heard that some of the people with in this service tell parents that they HAVE to turn their child ff'ing at 12 mths :mad:

Being able to concentrate on showing parents about choosing a restraint for the first time, showing them crash test videos for rear vs forward facing & what they need to look for in a restraint was so rewarding! I really do hope we made a difference for those parents that we spoke to!

ADS

finn

Yay :)

I have convinced my neighbour to rf her ds to the maximum of his seat, unfortunately it is an Australian seat and only rf to 12 kg :( Her ds is 11.4kg :( I might have to lend her my spare Swedish seat :) I figure if I can convince only one person that is one baby safer :)

mumof2

sounds like a good weekend.

you NZ ladies may know Bonnie? she put up a wealth of information on the Tradme message boards about rearfacing and that was the first place I learned about it. even before I had children I decided that I would keep my children rearfacing for as long as possible

KiwiGem

sounds like a good weekend.

you NZ ladies may know Bonnie? she put up a wealth of information on the Tradme message boards about rearfacing and that was the first place I learned about it. even before I had children I decided that I would keep my children rearfacing for as long as possible

Yes, I know Bonnie & still chat to her occasionally, although I haven't caught up with her in a while. The TWE I'm currently playing with is actually her old seat!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC