What do stress marks look like?

Joddle

Anyone have some photos they could link me to, or explain what they look like?
I have a feeling a friend's seat has them all across one side wing.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
IMG_3158.jpg

See the pattern of lighter blue marks in the middle? Those are stress marks, likely caused by something being dropped on the seat when it was setting upside-down.

sunnymw

GracoSRpics013.jpg

I think it was 3-4yo in that pic. Always stored inside, very little use as we used it baseless a lot.

Joddle

Wow!
So is a seat safe to use if it has any stress marks?
Or only if it's in a certain spot?
I'm pretty sure the base of my bucket also has a few from puching on it when installing it.

TerisBoys

Wow!
I'm pretty sure the base of my bucket also has a few from puching on it when installing it.

You might want to post pictures for the techs to see (location, size, quantity, etc). I believe location makes a huge difference, but all-in-all, stress marks generally mean the plastic at that point is weaker.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Wow!

I don't think there is any research on that one; it's just a matter of personal opinions. I personally really don't like to see stress marks at a belt path or harness slots - I've seen seats that have been in wrecks and that's where they generally get damaged, so even if a parent can say "Oh, that mark is from when my dh used the carseat as a step-ladder," it's still similar enough to crash-damage that I personally feel that the carseat's structural integrity may have been compromised.

On the other hand, I don't really sweat every little stress mark - if it's small, thin, and not very deep, and not near a belt path, harness slots, right next to the top tether, etc, I don't see it as being worth replacing the seat.

Pixels

My feelings are generally in line with Defrost's. If a seat has a stress mark, it's not near a critical point, and the history of the seat is 100% known (original owner, seat not loaned out, seat never checked on an airline), then I don't worry so much. If the history is unknown, or it's near the beltpath etc, then I don't like it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC