What are your RF goals for your kids?

ADS

Leighsah

I would prefer we make it to at least 4 RFing.....longer if we can. I let him start riding very occasionally FFing AFTER he turned 2 and only because we could not get a RFing Radian install in our two door car (and didn't have money to purchase anything else).

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I am fine with them ff'ing occasionally after they hit 2 years old but I will keep them rf'ing in our main vehicle until at least 2 1/2 years old.

NannyMom

4 was my goal. And we made it. Sofi's 1st ride forward facing was 4 days before her 4th birthday. I needed her to go somewhere with a friend, and it was easier for her to go FF. Right now, she's going back and forth between rear facing and forward facing.

mumof2

at this stage it is 4 and I will probably have to turn my daughter around then as I am planning on getting a radian for him and wont be able to have a RF radian on the drivers side well we could but my husband wont be able to drive nor would he be able to sit on the passenger side (he is 6'3).

skylinphoto

4 years old is my goal and when I would feel comfortable FFing full time for my kids...even though my kids are small and could likely RF to 5-6 easily. :)

I would FF occasionally (I'm talking very rarely) at around 3. Seeing my small kids FFing makes me uneasy. Hence why my dd has never once rode FFing yet.

wvmommy007

My bare minimum is 3. My goal is 4. My hope is more like until kindergarten. My DD is 10 months, so I haven't really considered when I'd allow it part time.

emandbri

Elizabeth started FF in other cars around 2 1/2 which is when she reached the 33 lbs rear-facing weight limit of the marathon in Brian's car.

She is 4 years 3 months and still rear-facing 90% of the time and will remain so until she is 45 lbs, she was 42.6 last week.

miraclebabies

My goal has always been 3 with all my kids and I made it there with Dd1. Since Dd2 is a preemie and still itty bitty she might make it till 4 or 5. I want to get my younger two the CA65 when I get a little extra money. I will get my soon to b 4yr old a FR85 then too. So all in all my goal is 3 but if we make t past that even better :)

AmieRubyJonah

4 is my current goal for full time forward facing.

He hasn't had to yet, but if he travels in mums car from now on he will have to be FF, as he has hit the limits for her seat, and I can't get an install with the radian that I'm happy with in her car. He is 14mo.

autumnlily

THEN: Before I knew better. 1 and 20lb. I turned my oldest when she hit 20lbs (after her 1st birthday).

NOW: My goal when I first came here, for my twins, was two years old. Then I hung around and became a tech too. Now my goal is 3 years. When that day comes - I may make my goal longer.

We occasionally FF (over 2 years old) and it's when only necessary due to car seat or vehicle restrictions.

simplychels

Limits of the seats available on the market ;) Realistically though, my nearly 4yo 28lb DD will not hit a 45lb rf'ing weight limit for a really, really long time. So I'd like to see her rf'ing full time until at least after kindergarten or age 6. Ideally I'd love to go from rf-boostering, if possible with her stature. Will re-evaluate that as the years pass

Kobain's Mommy

At the rate Coby's growing I hope to make it to 2 years old. When I took him into the Dr at 5.5 months he was already almost 22lbs and 29" tall.

AtTheSouthDam

Occaisional rides, 3.5. This was mostly those tmes she rode with DH or G'ma. Maybe once or twice a month.
Full time FF, 4 years.

I originally wanted to make it to a booster age in my car, she could easily RF in the RN at least another year, year and half. But we got the YS and she fell in love. So the RN is collecting dust in the garage... :(

urchin_grey

I'm not sure when we'll go FF full time... DS is 5.5 and only 25lbs so he could damn near RF forever. :p My main concern is his bone age because we have reason to believe it may not be in line with his chronological age. He's having a bone age scan in a couple months though, so we'll know then. Unless its ridiculously behind, then I'll probably turn him next time I'm big and preggo (we're planning on TTC soon). He can't walk too well either, so it would just be easier to lift him into his seat if he were FF. Plus, he'd be able to entertain his newbie sibling once they were here. This will be at least a year from now of course though, so that would make him at least 6+ before I turned him. We'll see though, because if his bone age is more like 2ish or less, I might even wait until 7. ;)

He has ridden FF before though, occasionally. Mainly when we were stuck with nothing but a 2 door that absolutely could not fit a RF'ing seat behind the driver. We have a van now though and our older (4-door) is fixed again. So we haven't had to turn him FF since then.

zactayaus

Well my original thought was to RF to 2yo (which would be in 6 months) because ds was growing so fast there for quite a while. He has a super long torso so I didn't think he'd make it past 2yo in his current seats. His growth has slowed tremendously. So now I'm thinking he might just make it to 2 1/2yo. I'm almost certain he won't fit RF'ing past 3yo. We'll just have to wait and see.

urchin_grey

Limits of the seats available on the market ;) Realistically though, my nearly 4yo 28lb DD will not hit a 45lb rf'ing weight limit for a really, really long time. So I'd like to see her rf'ing full time until at least after kindergarten or age 6. Ideally I'd love to go from rf-boostering, if possible with her stature. Will re-evaluate that as the years pass

That's really what I would like to do (go straight from RF to booster) but I'm not sure he'll make it to 40lbs (the legal minimum here) before he's like... 9. :eek: He's also socially delayed, so I'm also not sure he'd sit properly in a booster any time soon. I've looked at a special needs booster with a positioning harness in it that looks kind of neat though. I think its made by Sunshine Kids because it looks a lot like the Monterrey. Expensive as hell though. :eek:

myliljunebugs

My goal was K. We made it to right at age 5 (after a stint FF'ing from 3-4 before higher weight seats came out). She is actually RF'ing again because she shares her seat with a little girl I babysit that asked to RF and since Ella dropped weight she is below the limits again. Barely, so I'm keeping an eye on it. ;) She is almost 5.5 now and she LOVES that she can RF again even for a short bit!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC