What age are you comfortable with child using no back booster?

Laurette

A friend of mine may have to put her 7 year old in a no back booster. She is a good size and has almost outgrown the Regent. Would you be ok with a no back? It may be the only thing that fits where she needs it.

ADS

amyd

I'd be concerned about shoulder belt fit with a pull down belt with a small child. It would really depend on how that particular child fits in the belt with just a backless. I personally prefer not to have a child who fits in a highback in a backless.

Laurette

Right, I totally agree. There may not be any other seat that fits there so... :-/ I'm still looking for something though.

karlatta

I'd be concerned about shoulder belt fit with a pull down belt with a small child. It would really depend on how that particular child fits in the belt with just a backless. I personally prefer not to have a child who fits in a highback in a backless.
That's what I'd be concerned about too. I don't even get a good shoulder fit in that position in my Sienna, and I'm 5'9". It makes me nervous when I have to ride back there.

April

For my kids? 8 years old, 55lbs, 50". DD is in a backless (since she was 8.5) because the only highback she fits in (Frontier) doesn't fit in the only seating position I can put her in. She's in a backless and almost passes the 5 step test in that position without her booster. She'll be 9 in a few weeks, is 54", and has a 21" torso.
Posted via Mobile Device

NebraskaMom

My dd was fine in one at 7 years old. She was tall enough to get a good fit with the lap/shoulder belt and she is the kid who always sits still.

DS, however...well...I just bought a Monterey since he wasn't comfortable in his Nautilus and he isn't mature enough for me to take the back off of it...which was the source of his uncomfortableness. He is a wiggler and I will keep him in a highback until I feel he is mature enough to ride without.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
It totally depends on the child and belt fit for me. If the belt fit is good at age 7 I am fine by it especially if the vehicle has side curtain airbags or the child is sitting in the middle seating positon. But if the vehicle doesn't have side curtain airbags and the child still fits in a highback I would push for that.

In this specific case I am not sure the middle seat belt will fit well in a no back booster because that seatbelt is wonky.

Chameleon

The harmony literider is going to be the only readily accessible lowback that fits there, just make sure that she uses the strap with it and the wonkiness of the the seatbelt should be taken care of by it. I also think she will be fine in that position, if I remember right she is going to be beside two RF carseats.

emandbri

A 2003 only has a lap belt in the middle of the back row, can't use a booster there. Is it a 2004?

To answer you question I'd say 7 or 8.

amyd

Just thought of something else...is there a head restraint in that position? If not, a backless is not an option if it boosts the child up with ears over the vehicle seat back. And yes, if there's no shoulder belt, of course a booster isn't an option at all. What about an RSTV?

Laurette

Well, I was told it was a 2003 but that may be wrong. The middle position does have a sholder belt and a headrest or I would never concider a booster, of course.

Kat_Momof3

depends on if there is proper head support (which it sounds like there is) the size of the child (the child in question should fit one just fine).

Damian had to go in one at 7... no other highback fit him... but he outgrew the Regent at 6.5yrs... so there you are.

Jeffrey went back and forth at 7, but ended up staying in a highback as a main seat until he was almost 9.

Ruthie will be in a highback as long as I can keep her in one.

Chameleon

Well, I was told it was a 2003 but that may be wrong. The middle position does have a sholder belt and a headrest or I would never concider a booster, of course.

Then it's not a 2003, they did not have a headrest in the middle position. It must be a later year then which is good. So then my earlier advice still stands.

skipspin

I started feeling okay with my DD in a backless (but not when sleeping or as a primary) at 7. I started not thinking negatively about others kids in backless boosters around 6/7 depending on their size. As long as fit was good at over 6 I wouldn't suggest a highback over a no back in most situations.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC