Tell me I'm doing the right thing...

Keeanh

I feel so bad for my 2yo :crying:. She's so good-natured, I'm sure she won't complain, but still... I'm going to take away her TF for long drives :(. And put her in a Scenera :(:(:(.

My 6yo couldn't sit properly on our last long drive so the next time we go I'm going to put him in the TF (he still fits), and I bought a Scenera for 2yo. We're just barely paying the bills. I couldn't afford a Nautilus or Frontier for him, at least at the moment. I just feel bad for my sweet 2yo who never makes a peep in 5 hours of driving. Tell me I did the right thing.

ADS

skylinphoto

You're definitely doing the right thing.
The scenera passes all the tests to be put on the market and is a safe seat.
You're recognizing that you're 6 year old isnt sitting safely and you're making him safe.
With a limited budget, you found a way to keep everyone safe. That's fantastic! Kudos.

babyherder

Its ok! You're keeping all your kids safe and that's the right thing to do. Maybe its not fair but its what your kids need. Some day the 2 year old is going to get something the 6 year old doesn't cause she needs it.

Keeanh

Thanks! Nothing against the Scenera. It's just that I took away her Lazy-Boy and gave her a highschool gymnasium chair, IYKWIM. She thinks it's cool right now. I hope she doesn't notice the difference in size or comfort on a long ride. I'm just grateful for short-torsoed children.

you are doing the right thing.. the smart thing too, a scenera is perfectly safe as long as it is installed correctly and used the the most of its abilities.. (rear face as long as you can ect)

I think got a scenera for Nolan recently (40 lb rfing one) but returned it cause of the short shell, I felt he was perfectly safe in it though. (I just was not ready to accept that my 2 year old only had 3 inchs of shell left in it lol) Then I got a 35 lb one cheaper cause of that, and my neighbor crashed it, which kind of bummed me out honestly.. I would have liked to have it for a spare.

andre149

You are absolutely doing the right thing... you are keeping both of your kids safe in the car. A Scenera is a perfectly safe seat, and while it may not have the "comforts" that we like as parents, I have yet to hear a kid complain about it... In fact P preferred it to her MA when I had both in my car. Don't stress about it, you've got a perfectly safe seat installed for your 2yo, and you're making your 6yo much safer by re-harnessing. :)

TerisBoys

When Josh was 4, he rode from MI to TN in a Touriva while his baby brother was in a RA. As long as we stopped so he could stretch there wasn't a problem.

If you hadn't started using it, I would have suggested checking Big Lots for an Uptown. Mine still has them, and they're only $50 with a little better padding and EPS foam.

I honestly wouldn't worry one bit though. You're doing what you can to keep ALL your kids as safe as possible.

Keeanh

Thanks! Hi Angie :happy-wavehello:

Actually, I haven't used it yet. 6yo is fine in his booster around town. It's only when he starts to fall asleep that there's a problem, so the Scenera has only been test-installed in the big van. Is the Uptown available in Canada? From what I could find, the Scenera has the highest shell of the "cheap" seats, which I need for my 2yo.

TerisBoys

I completely forgot you were in Canada. My apologies.

I don't believe it is, and if it is, it's more than $10 more. (Possibly one of the Schwinn seats at Canadian Tire is a rebranded Uptown - I don't remember).

ETA: This is the one I was thinking of. Hopefully one of the Canadians can verify if it is or isn't. If it is, it happens to be on sale for not much more than the Scenera at the same store :)

Keeanh

I completely forgot you were in Canada. My apologies.

I don't believe it is, and if it is, it's more than $10 more. (Possibly one of the Schwinn seats at Canadian Tire is a rebranded Uptown - I don't remember).

ETA: This is the one I was thinking of. Hopefully one of the Canadians can verify if it is or isn't.

Yeah, I always wondered about those "Schwinn" seats. I kinda ignore them because they seem so expensive for what they offer. Although I see they are on sale right now. Still, over $100 for a 40lb convertible...

Oh, I just noticed it says RF to 30lbs on the website. If that's correct, that wouldn't work for us anyways. 2yo just weighed in at 29.5 lbs. But I'm still interested, just out of curiosity, to know what those Canadian Tire seats are.

Kat_Momof3

I remember feeling equally bad when I put Ruthie, who was just over 1yr old, in the Scenera rf full time so that I could reharness her brother, Jeffrey, because I'd found out not only that it was safer for him to be harnessed, but that she was comfy in it (she'd hated the baby bucket and I'd thought it might have been the lack of padding).

She did so until tax time, when we got the money to get him a Husky...

it's the right decision... because the safest thing is to keep every kid in a seat that fits them and they will sit properly in... and if a kid isn't mature enough for a booster, then you need to put him in a harnessed seat.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Would your 6yo fit in a Maestro? You could trade that new Scenera and get him his own seat if you feel bad about switching the little one.
I've used a Scenera and had no problems with it. Don't feel bad, with a diaper on, they don't seem to notice the difference.

Keeanh

Would your 6yo fit in a Maestro? You could trade that new Scenera and get him his own seat if you feel bad about switching the little one.
I've used a Scenera and had no problems with it. Don't feel bad, with a diaper on, they don't seem to notice the difference.

That's what I was thinking of until I remembered he's 50lbs. Maybe a Maestro 65 is in the works... we can hope, right?

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC