Opinions about using a used seat

OddOneOut

We are expecting our third baby in March. When we were over at my Mom's house yesterday I noticed an infant seat sitting in her garage. I asked about it and she said she had bought it at a consignment sale to use to pick up our baby from daycare. She will be doing this once a week and daycare is an in home daycare about two blocks from our house.

I immediately went into a "no used seat that I don't know the history of for my baby" speech. She argued that she would only be going a few blocks and I was overreacting. DH initially backed me up, but then I just ended up being the crazy carseat lady who spends too much time online.

I know I am right, but now I am just second guessing myself because I feel bad. I know my mom was just trying to help out. The seat is a Graco Snugride with a manufacture date of 2008 and it looks like it is in great condition- but I know nothing about whether it was in an accident or not. I mean, probably not, but I just don't know.

I guess this is sort of a vent... but I do want to know...I am doing the right thing right?

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
You're doing the right thing. :thumbsup: It's not appropriate to use a seat with an unknown history.

Maybe you could buy a Scenera (around $45) for your mom to use when she has the baby? Or maybe an extra base for your infant seat?

skylinphoto

You're doing the right thing.

The 'what if's are too great. What if it was in an accident? What if the previous owner washed the straps? What if it was dropped? What if the previous owner checked it on a flight and it was tossed around?

andre149

You are absolutely doing the right thing! Even if it wasn't in an accident the old owner could have washed the straps, installed it wrong, etc. to put stress on the seat. I would either buy her a cheap convertible or an extra base for your infant seat and leave the seat with the baby. If your family gives you a hard time for it simply say "I am not willing to allow my child to be a crash test dummy, and you do not know the history of that seat so in using it you are effectively doing so"... but maybe in nicer words ;)

OddOneOut

Thanks for the replies. I had suggested that my mom buy a cheap Scenera at Walmart, but obviously she decided not to. It doesn't make much sense since the Scenera would last the baby at least 3-4 years and the infant seat would only last around year.

Oh well, I guess I will have to pick one up for her.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I do agree that if you want a say in what seat your mother uses (which I think you should!), you need to pay for the seat.

babyherder

Its hard when someone tries to help you and you have to tell them you can't use what they got. But you're doing the right thing and your mom will get over it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC