Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Do I need a new Radian boot?

I just uninstalled my Radian XTSL to wash the cover and do some seat rearranging and I noticed some stress marks on the boot, and a crack. We haven't been in an accident, and I always check the seat over before reinstalling and this was not like that when I installed it last.

Here are some pics:

It was manufactured 09/2009.

Should I call or email Sunshine Kids? Has this happened to anyone else?
    Tia- CPST wife to Riki
    Stay at home mama to:
    Sophia 11.29.07 riding in a Britax Parkway SGL
    Alaina 8.21.10 riding in a Britax Frontier 90
    Surro Twins L & E 1.6.13 & Surro Baby #3 Due 11.10.14

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Do I need a new Radian boot?

It's happened to a number of people. No crack that I can see in your pics, but the stress marks are common when you jam the toes of the boot on something while installing. Call SKJP.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    It's happened to a number of people. No crack that I can see in your pics, but the stress marks are common when you jam the toes of the boot on something while installing. Call SKJP.
    Yeah, the crack I'm talking about is just where the two sides come together. Like it split open.

Will I need to buy a new one or will they replace it? I assume its not under warranty since it's just over a year old.
    Tia- CPST wife to Riki
    Stay at home mama to:

Russ will tell you it is perfectly safe that way. That is what he told me but I told him I wanted a replacement and he gladly sent me an used dirty boot
    Heather, proud mommy to:
    Dustin 12y & 105 lbs 5-stepped/Seatbelt only
    Colton 6y & 43lb FF RXT/Pinnacle/FR90
    Peyton 5y & 38lb FF in Sureride/FR90/FR85

I emailed SKJP from their website, and she asked me to take and send them pictures. I did, and she mailed me a brand new boot right away. I didn't talk to Russ.
    desiree'
    Michael (Autism), 3.5y, 43lbs, 43", FF'ing in a Nautilus
    Aunaliese (PDD-NOS), 26m, 22lbs, 33.5", RF'ing in a Multi Tech
    Missing baby Josef Rain (born sleeping 12.10.10)

7. Thank You from:

SKJP Customer Service is great, if you don't talk to Russ. I emailed them about getting replacement stickers and new pins that hold the bottom cover on. They sent both out to me for free and I got them within a week! The lady I've dealt with has been great and very easy to deal with (Alia). I didn't even have the seat here when I emailed her about the stickers, so I didn't have the model/serial number. She went ahead and sent them and had me send her the info when I had it here. I would definitely contact their email cs before talking to Russ.
    Mommy to L - 11.5 yrs, 160 lbs, 4'9" riding in seat belt
    F - 4.5 yrs, 33 lbs, 39" riding rear facing in a Graco extend2fit and Graco milestome
    A - 3 yrs, 32 lbs, 37" riding rear facing in a Graco extend2fit and Graco milestone

9. Thank You from:

Thanks everyone! I just emailed them from the website and will email them pictures when they respond!

I have spare seats for her to use, but she just hit 35lbs and we only have a Marathon and True Fit here, so if it's not safe, she'll have to ride FF until I get a replacement. She'll be 3 in less than a month, so I know she'll be safe, but I'm not comfortable with it for full time use!
    Tia- CPST wife to Riki
    Stay at home mama to:

UPDATE:

Kristin emailed me back and said the boot is safe to use the way it is, but they are sending me a replacement since I bought it less than a year ago. Guess I'll have to be more careful when installing once I get the new one!
    Tia- CPST wife to Riki
    Stay at home mama to:

My boot looks the same as yours, but with a small crack at the seem of one foot. I sent them pics and they are sending me a new one even though they say its still ok to use. (and a new belly pad, headwing foam, and pins for the cover... b/c the belly pad shredded, the headwing has had a hole in it sense I got the seat, and I lost those stupid pins AGAIN!)

Sense they say its safe, would you use it like that? I was thinking it would be nice to leave an extra boot at grandma's house sense she picks us up from the airport and ds is FF on the plane, so I dont have to carry it around traveling
    Mama to my awesome environmentalist kid Levi! (google him if you'd like!)
    7-13-07, 55", 62lbs
    Rearfaced to 8yrs, 9months (is now 10) Still boostered!
    CPST as of 6/19/08!

It's a good plan to call SK -- they should be aware of the issue -- but I'm pretty sure when this was discussed on here before it was decided it wasn't a big deal. The boot is really a precrash positioner, right? It's a fairly common problem, though, and SK needs to figure out a new plan, so definitely let them know and get their opinion.
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

CPS Technician CrunchyMaineMama's Avatar

Tia if you're not comfortable using it you could borrow my Scenara 40 or EFTA 65 to keep her RFing in until you get the new boot.
    Rachel-CPST & Mom to 4 Now!
    J-7 Recaro Performance/Nauti, A-4.5 Frontier 85/Nauti, O-3.5 RFing Size4Me/RXT and M-3.5, RFing Size4Me/RXT

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie_R View Post
    It's a good plan to call SK -- they should be aware of the issue -- but I'm pretty sure when this was discussed on here before it was decided it wasn't a big deal. The boot is really a precrash positioner, right? It's a fairly common problem, though, and SK needs to figure out a new plan, so definitely let them know and get their opinion.
    Like make a new boot that requires less abuse to get a good angle for older rfer's.
    Rachel - CPST-I and Mommy to:
    Tripp - 12/22/07 48" and 45# FF FR85
    Aubrey - 11/20/09 38" and 33# ERF in an XTSL
    Bella- 7/13/11 33.5" 24#- XTSL and MySize70