Do I need a new Radian boot?

TiaxMarie

I just uninstalled my Radian XTSL to wash the cover and do some seat rearranging and I noticed some stress marks on the boot, and a crack. We haven't been in an accident, and I always check the seat over before reinstalling and this was not like that when I installed it last.

Here are some pics:

Radianboot002.jpg

Radianboot003.jpg

Radianboot004.jpg

Radianboot006.jpg

It was manufactured 09/2009.

Should I call or email Sunshine Kids? Has this happened to anyone else?

ADS

Pixels

It's happened to a number of people. No crack that I can see in your pics, but the stress marks are common when you jam the toes of the boot on something while installing. Call SKJP.

TiaxMarie

It's happened to a number of people. No crack that I can see in your pics, but the stress marks are common when you jam the toes of the boot on something while installing. Call SKJP.

Yeah, the crack I'm talking about is just where the two sides come together. Like it split open.

Will I need to buy a new one or will they replace it? I assume its not under warranty since it's just over a year old.

hrice

Russ will tell you it is perfectly safe that way. That is what he told me but I told him I wanted a replacement and he gladly sent me an used dirty boot:thumbsdown:

Angela

SKJP Customer Service is great, if you don't talk to Russ. :) I emailed them about getting replacement stickers and new pins that hold the bottom cover on. They sent both out to me for free and I got them within a week! The lady I've dealt with has been great and very easy to deal with (Alia). I didn't even have the seat here when I emailed her about the stickers, so I didn't have the model/serial number. She went ahead and sent them and had me send her the info when I had it here. I would definitely contact their email cs before talking to Russ.

TiaxMarie

Thanks everyone! I just emailed them from the website and will email them pictures when they respond!

I have spare seats for her to use, but she just hit 35lbs and we only have a Marathon and True Fit here, so if it's not safe, she'll have to ride FF until I get a replacement. She'll be 3 in less than a month, so I know she'll be safe, but I'm not comfortable with it for full time use!

TiaxMarie

UPDATE:

Kristin emailed me back and said the boot is safe to use the way it is, but they are sending me a replacement since I bought it less than a year ago. Guess I'll have to be more careful when installing once I get the new one!

leighi123

My boot looks the same as yours, but with a small crack at the seem of one foot. I sent them pics and they are sending me a new one even though they say its still ok to use. (and a new belly pad, headwing foam, and pins for the cover... b/c the belly pad shredded, the headwing has had a hole in it sense I got the seat, and I lost those stupid pins AGAIN!)

Sense they say its safe, would you use it like that? I was thinking it would be nice to leave an extra boot at grandma's house sense she picks us up from the airport and ds is FF on the plane, so I dont have to carry it around traveling

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It's a good plan to call SK -- they should be aware of the issue -- but I'm pretty sure when this was discussed on here before it was decided it wasn't a big deal. The boot is really a precrash positioner, right? It's a fairly common problem, though, and SK needs to figure out a new plan, so definitely let them know and get their opinion.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
Tia if you're not comfortable using it you could borrow my Scenara 40 or EFTA 65 to keep her RFing in until you get the new boot.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
It's a good plan to call SK -- they should be aware of the issue -- but I'm pretty sure when this was discussed on here before it was decided it wasn't a big deal. The boot is really a precrash positioner, right? It's a fairly common problem, though, and SK needs to figure out a new plan, so definitely let them know and get their opinion.

Like make a new boot that requires less abuse to get a good angle for older rfer's. :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC