Question for grandparents' 2005 & 2009 Corolla

Queen

We're currently using a Peg Perego infant seat and I got an extra base for grandparents' car so swapping between cars is very easy so far. But DD will outgrow the infant seat soon so I'm researching on convertible seats especially for my parents' cars.

I'm looking for a car seat that can fit in a 2005 and 2009 Corolla RF without having to push the front passenger seat all the way up. Since it will be shared between the 2 cars, I need something that is easy to install / take down and can fit in the trunk when the seat is not needed.

I'm planning to get a Britax Boulevard for my car, and the other grandparents have got a Safety 1st Alpha Omega for their Subaru Forester when it was on sale for $95. I've tried DD on the AO for 2 days and she looked comfy in it. The things that I don't like is the hook connector (it's ok for the Forester as the car seat would stay connected but not ideal to be shared between the 2 Corolla), and the harness is not as easy to pull and get a snug fit (compare to the Britax Blvd that I've tried in the store).

I'm not sure how the AO would fit RF in the Corolla, but I like the price (it's on sale for $99 this week so I have to make a decision ASAP) and that it is a 3-in-1 meaning that's all I have to spend.

I'm also considering Sunshine Kids Radian Premier (now $250) - love that it's narrow so the back seat won't be too crowed if we need to fit 2 adults, and it folds flat so storing in the trunk shouldn't be a problem. but I'm not sure how well it fits when RF-ing since it is a taller seat. The price is also another concern - is it worth the extra $150 compare to the AO? I'll also need to get a booster seat when DD outgrows the Radian.

Are there other choices that I can consider? Thanks a million~~

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The seats will have to be pushed forward some (at least the passenger seat) if you use the Radian, and it's not the tallness that's the problem-- it's the angle it sits at. Convertibles for older babies can be much more upright than the 45 degrees a newborn needs a seat at. Also, the Radian will install more upright in the center, and you can't use the lower anchors (UAS/LATCH) in the center of a Corolla, only outboard. So to get it as upright as possible, you'd be doing a seatbelt install, which while doable, is on the difficult end of the spectrum. Also, I find it difficult to tighten rear-facing (though you don't HAVE to loosen and tighen each time.)

The Safety 1st Complete Air has an even taller shell, but fits much more upright. It can easily be installed at a 30 degree angle in a Corolla and leave the front seats completely usable (maybe a little more upright than some people like, but as upright as tolerable is actually safest for adult riders.) The installation isn't the easiest install ever, but it's fairly simple, if you pull back the cover and access the belt path to tighten the seatbelt or strap. It doesn't fold but it is fairly lightweight for easier in and out (the Radians weigh about 22 lbs.) And with that tall shell, it has a 40 lbs. rear-facing limit-- are you aware of the benefits of rear-facing as long as possible? I find it fairly easy to tighten rear-facing in the Corolla, though not the easiest EVER, not difficult. And it has a continuous harness which makes loading and unloading without loosening and tightening much easier for me. It is pretty similar to the Alpha Omega which you seem to mostly like, but there are a few key differences.

Of note? I would not be storing a car seat in the trunk. First of all, stuff could be piled on top of it and damage it, it could be exposed to spills, oil, etc. that might damage it. Second, if they were ever in a crash they would have to replace a seat that wasn't even installed in the car! Insurance can sometimes be convinced to pay for an installed unoccupied seat, but I doubt most would pay for one in the trunk. And, it does take up room to have a car seat back there, and they might want that room for other stuff. The Corolla has a pretty generous trunk for a car its size, but there are still plenty of times when you really need to maximize space to get stuff in.

No matter what you get, you'll need to get a booster seat when the convertible is outgrown. The Alpha Omega makes a frankly dangerous booster. I would never put a child in it because the belt positioning is horrible. But you've got years and years to worry about that yet-- she should be rear-facing for a good few more years at least, and then harnessed after that for a few more if she doesn't make it to 5 or 6 rear-facing. :)

Queen

Thanks for the info, ketchupqueen.

My parents will be DD's babysitter when I return to work, and I figure this car seat will last a good couple years so I wanna get them a better one.

You know what, the CA that u mentioned was actually the first seat that caught my eyes. I love the Air SIP and the seat padding. But after reading reviews which some parents complaining about the bulkiness, I hesitate to try it. Thanks for letting me know that it fits well in a Corolla. I just went to BRU to check this seat out. It's really lighter than many other seats - good for swapping between cars/! Does this seat recline though - I don't seem to find it? or does it not matter for my 9 month old anyways?

The folding option of the Radian is just an added convenience in case they ever need that extra seat to accommodate 5 adults. I guess they won't be "storing" the seat in the trunk all the time, but like I said, just when the 5th seat is needed occasionally.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It reclines by folding the foot down, or if you get the LX model with the base, there's a base recline. You can adjust to get more recline when needed by placing a rolled towel or pool noodle under the bottom of the seat. But the line doesn't need to be "level to the ground" as it says, it can be significantly more upright for a 9 month old.

In my signature picture you can see the farthest child from the camera is in a Complete Air (the original model-- I've not tried the LX in the Corolla-- with 1 pool noodle chunk to get it just to 30 degrees reclined) behind the driver. The seat looks like it's touching the driver's seat but it's really not, I could get a hand back there. And my husband's pretty tall, with long legs, and that is a comfortable driving position for him. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC