What would you recommend in this scenario...

luvsviola

My DFS is going home to his bio dad. Bio dad consistently does not install his seat correctly. He puts it in cars without locking seatbelts, without a locking clip. It is seriously unsafe. His caseworker doesn't care, and she herself does the same thing, but that is another post all together.

Anyway, DFS is 19 months, and 27 pounds. He is 50% for height (can't remember actual number). We have him RFing. We have convinced dad, at least for now, to keep him RFing in a MyRide (not sure where it came from, as he is obviously not the first owner, but at least it is a decent seat and I try not to think about it), and finally got him to install it in the middle with a lapbelt in the main car so it is safe. He does not have a driver's license, so the seat changes cars almost daily, depending on who is willing to take him places. He is a single dad, who I honestly think can't afford to keep medically fragile DFS, so money is beyond tight. He makes $9 an hour and just got his first apartment and is also furnishing it at this time.

He asked me this week what I would recommend for a second seat so that his MyRide could stay permanently installed in the car that will be his daycare and main transportation, but he would still have something else for other cars. Most of them are older, without latch.

Would you recommend a Maestro in this situation, so that he could stay harnessed longer? Or would you recommend a Scenara to keep him RFing in the second car. My concern with the Maestro is (besides not RFing) they would put him in a booster too early since it becomes one. Or is there something cheap with lockoffs? I couldnt' think of anything. Or should I suggest another MyRide so he can RF for a long time and then harness to a higher weight? Are the top slots on the MyRide any higher than the Scenara? I'm afraid that if he does a Scenara, when it is outgrown, he will put DFS in a booster. He is developmentally delayed, and has a G tube, so he gains weight faster than most kids. He is gaining about a pound a month right now.

Thanks for any advice on what to suggest. I am so torn. Part of me wants him to get the Maestro so he's harnessed beyond a Scenara, but I really would rather see him RFing longer. I'd send one of his current seats home, but I'm due in March and will use them for the new baby.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The MyRide harness is at least 1.5" taller than the Scenera. If he can afford it, I'd recommend it for a fast-gaining medically fragile kid.

Pixels

Due to the financial situation, it may be best to send him to a car seat check to enquire about a program seat. If he gets one from them, when the Scenera is outgrown, he might go back, and they may give him a HWH if that's what is needed at that time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC