38.00 car seat at walmart?

Baylor

I don't know what make it is but I see them all the time.. I am wondering.. If there is someone that knows the make and how they are ?

I know that all car seats have to meet certain standards.. But I am wondering what you think of them?

ADS

mommy-medic

Do you know the brand? Is it an infant seat, convertible (RF and FF) combination (FF then booster) or 3-in-1 (RF, FF, booster), or booster?

cat mommy

My guess is you are thinking of the Cosco Scenera. It is a very basic seat--no padding, no ease of use features. A lot of people here like it a lot--especially as a back up seat.

Baylor

My guess is you are thinking of the Cosco Scenera. It is a very basic seat--no padding, no ease of use features. A lot of people here like it a lot--especially as a back up seat.

It is probably a cosco brand... That sounds right to me.. I think it is just FF though ?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If it's the Cosco Scenera, then it's a fine basic seat. As I wrote in another thread, I'd MUCH rather see a kid in a Scenera than in a Craiglist seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Scenera will rear-face most kids to at least two, works well from birth, and while it's a very basic seat and the top slots are too low for most kids to make it to the forward-facing limit (many kids actually outgrow it rear- and forward-facing at the same time, it's not uncommon) it installs well in many a vehicle (though you often need a pool noodle in more sloped back seats), is lightweight for easy travel, and is quite a functional little seat.

Considering that it could work from birth to about 35 lbs. for most kids for $40, and could be followed by a $150 Graco Nautilus, and with those, possibly followed by a Cosco Ambassador for $15 or so if the kid outgrows the Nautilus in high-backed booster mode and needs a wider seat with a little more leg support, so the total cost to car seat a kid from birth until they fit an adult belt could be just over $200, plus tax? I'm quite fond of the seat. There are many families who need safe seats on a small budget, and this, thankfully, fits the bill.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
The name is on the link. It's a Cosco Scenera, RF to 35lbs, FFto 40. It's a great seat, basic, but passes all the tests. And as previously stated we'd rather see a jos in a Scenera than even a Britax off Craigslist. Its recommended often due to shell/harness height and its budget friendly pricing.

So yup, the good ol' Scenera.

That's what my 2.5yo twin girls are RF in & have been in since they were around 6 months old. MY DS also used one until he outgrew it.

No lies, that sucker is PITA to get a proper infant recline on, but once you do it & your familiar w/ how the seat is, it's a breeze (IMO anyway). It's a great back up seat & even a great primary seat when you are on a super tight budget.

Baylor

Thanks for all that.. So if I wanted to purchase one of these from time to time and donate them.. Can you drop them off at police stations or firehouses? Where would one do that?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Also, SafeKids knows where the need is. Maybe they have a bunch of Sceneras already but could really use some boosters or combo seats.

There's also a potential liability issue. Probably not so much with a new, unopened seat, but they would probably prefer to purchase themselves (using any discounts they may get).

You could talk with a local tech or someone at your SafeKids coalition to see if there's a way you could earmark money for seat purchases. Not sure about that.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Also, SafeKids knows where the need is. Maybe they have a bunch of Sceneras already but could really use some boosters or combo seats.

Yes. We tend to be fairly well-stocked with convertibles, but we don't have many HWH seats or HBBs.

If you donate to your local coalition, it stays local. If we were offered money specifically for seat purchases, we would use it for seats. But honestly, if you care about child passenger safety, just donate and let them use it for what they need it for.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC