Advice about talking to parents/booster training?

HayleyCPST

The kids I nanny for are both in dorel Highbacks, booster mode. As we all know, this makes a horrible booster, and these kids aren't an exception. Belt is high-on stomach and shoulder guide is in the wrong place and very wide. The turbo fits Y like a glove!

One of them expired in march '09, so as of today I've been using my mom's turbo booster that she uses for her nanny kid. It expired in June 2010.

Obviously, these kids need different boosters. I'm planning on bringing that up with their mom tonight. She might not know about proper fit and/or expirations. Neither of them are recalled.

Regardless, my main concern is the fact that when I have both children they are constantly bending over to give high 5's or putting their feet up on my headrests so they are very slouched. They have probably not been booster trained. When I picked them up today, I told them the rules of my car and that sitting in a booster seat is a priviledge. They understood, but then right as we got on our way...I see them bending over.

We drive on the freeway twice during pick-up/ride home, which makes me even more nervous.

How can I talk to the mom tonight about booster training and getting new boosters for them? Should I mention that if they can't behave in my car, then they need 5pt's?

ADS

HayleyCPST

Ok talked with her. She's gonna get them new boosters this weekend. :)

how do you booster train a child that has been sitting in a booster for at least a year if not more? I've never had boostered children in my car!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Physically and developmentally typical 6yos and 7yos ought to be able to handle boosters. Show them how the belts should fit and instruct them to sit in ways that don't change the belt fit -- no pulling at the belt, leaning out of the shoulder belt, etc.

I do not think you have the right to insist that the parents provide harnessed seats for children of that age.

HayleyCPST

Physically and developmentally typical 6yos and 7yos ought to be able to handle boosters. Show them how the belts should fit and instruct them to sit in ways that don't change the belt fit -- no pulling at the belt, leaning out of the shoulder belt, etc.

I do not think you have the right to insist that the parents provide harnessed seats for children of that age.

Yeah I wouldn't feel comfortable telling her to
put them back into harnesses. I wasn't that serious about it.

Thanks a lot. I'll give them a booster tutorial on Monday!

skylinphoto

I'd lock the belt on them and work on it like you would a discipline issue. Use a chart and give 'em stickers at the end of each drive of sitting properly. They get something meaningful for every ..i dunno..5 stickers.

Just reward them for sitting right in ways that mean something to them and they'll get the hang of it.

Hope you figure it out. That sounds like a tough situation!

HayleyCPST

I only have ELR :( otherwise I would totally do that!
Today was my first day picking them up by myself. On Monday they seemed fine (except for the seats themselves).
I'm just nervous about next week since I start M-F and will also be Taking them to school 2-3 days a week.

The sticker chart sounds great! They already have a token system, and I have permission to take a token away. I'll do the booster lesson on Monday and if it
continues, then I'll do the reward system. I don't know why I didn't think of that. L&B were so well behaved and chill. It's so different with these two!

Thanks you two. You've been very helpful!

Mae

I don't mean to doubt your tech abilities, but are you sure that your belts don't lock? All cars manu'ed after '96 have to have locking belts ...

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I don't mean to doubt your tech abilities, but are you sure that your belts don't lock? All car's manu'ed after '96 have to have locking belts ...

I bet she means that her belts don't have a switchable retractor, but rather have locking latchplates. Which, of course, can't be used to lock the shoulder belt of a booster user. :twocents:

HayleyCPST

I don't mean to doubt your tech abilities, but are you sure that your belts don't lock? All cars manu'ed after '96 have to have locking belts ...

I don't think you are doubting my tech abilities, thanks for making sure though.
I have an '87 Volvo 240GL. I'm very sure that I only have ELR! That's why I always complain about having to use those dang locking clips with my radians. The back row center has a locking latchplate but its a lap belt.

Mae

I bet she means that her belts don't have a switchable retractor, but rather have locking latchplates. Which, of course, can't be used to lock the shoulder belt of a booster user. :twocents:

Ah! Duh, didn't think of that. Thanks! :eek:

ETA (As I crossposted...):

I don't think you are doubting my tech abilities, thanks for making sure though.
I have an '87 Volvo 240GL. I'm very sure that I only have ELR! That's why I always complain about having to use those dang locking clips with my radians. The back row center has a locking latchplate but its a lap belt.

Oh, I see. Um, yeah, definitely no locking seat belts! LOL. Well, shoot. :(

I'd try the sticker chart? I admit, I may or may not have bribed my (then) 7yo with a chocolate bar if he sat correctly for an entire week. :whistle:

BookMama

Senior Community Member

Oh, then I guess you DO have ELR-only seat belts! That sounds lke kind of a pain. :p

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Oh, and to address your original issue: I would absolutely explain to the kids why they need a booster, show them how the belt doesn't fit without a booster, demonstrate what can happen when the seatbelt's not in the correct position, etc. Heck, on the way to school a few weeks ago, my 9.5YO gave me a little lecture about how/why boosters work. :p :love:

Then, once they know what the expectations are, treat it as a discipline issue. I'd even go so far as to pull over (safely) if they put the belt behind them, or lean way over, etc. They're old enough to follow the rules.

HayleyCPST

I admit, I may or may not have bribed my (then) 7yo with a chocolate bar if he sat correctly for an entire week. :whistle:
Didn't think of that one! lol hopefully I can find a way without bribery, but it's good to know that it's an option. ;) thanks

Oh, and to address your original issue: I would absolutely explain to the kids why they need a booster, show them how the belt doesn't fit without a booster, demonstrate what can happen when the seatbelt's not in the correct position, etc. Heck, on the way to school a few weeks ago, my 9.5YO gave me a little lecture about how/why boosters work. :p :love:

Then, once they know what the expectations are, treat it as a discipline issue. I'd even go so far as to pull over (safely) if they put the belt behind them, or lean way over, etc. They're old enough to follow the rules.

I agree. They both go to "gifted" schools, have extremely high IQ's and are old enough to comprehend the rules and expectations. Once kids know expectations they are more likely to behave. They might test it, but thats what discipline is for.

I just don't want to be so focused on them sitting properly that I lose focus on the road. Then again, I *just* started, so I don't want to be all crazy bossy at first!

I'll talk to the mom again on Monday about doing a reward chart. Chances are they are acting the same way in her car, plus there are 2 younger children too.

babyherder

If you have harnessed seats that fit them I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I've boostered trained kids pretty quickly. I did a 6 yr old and 9 yr old in one car ride. I reminded them of the rules before we started moving. Told them we would have to pull over if they weren't sitting right. When they were sitting correctly again, then they were safe and we could go. I reminded them I didn't want them to get hurt. Did this on the way to the park. I had to pull over once. And they've been good since. I'm sure they'll need reminders sometimes but the "training" period was easy enough. Hope it goes smoothly for you!

And, I know what you mean about being distracted by the kids moving! That's one reason I pull over if they move too much. I can't focus when I'm worried about them being out of position.

HayleyCPST

If you have harnessed seats that fit them I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I've boostered trained kids pretty quickly. I did a 6 yr old and 9 yr old in one car ride. I reminded them of the rules before we started moving. Told them we would have to pull over if they weren't sitting right. When they were sitting correctly again, then they were safe and we could go. I reminded them I didn't want them to get hurt. Did this on the way to the park. I had to pull over once. And they've been good since. I'm sure they'll need reminders sometimes but the "training" period was easy enough. Hope it goes smoothly for you!

And, I know what you mean about being distracted by the kids moving! That's one reason I pull over if they move too much. I can't focus when I'm worried about them being out of position.

I do have a TWE They both fit into that I use for their younger sibs and other kids I watch. I could put the "worst" behaved child in if I felt it was necessary. The whole booster thing is a priviledge to me and it's not like they are 3 or 4. They will know the rules and will be expected to follow them or there will be consequences. I want them to learn respect and self discipline.

I pulled over once on Friday but not when I was on the freeway. Felt like such a mom. My mom used to do it all the time!
Then again it was my first real day and a friday so they could have been excited about seeing me again or Halloween. I will see what next week looks like! They might have residual hyperness from all the candy!

HayleyCPST

UPDATE!
So, the mom left me some turbo's yesterday. One is European and one is American (w/o screws). I used the screws from my moms expired turbo and now we are rolling!
ETA: they travel a lot, so that explains the Euro one. I'll ask her today though where she got it just in case. It doesn't seem to have an expiration date though, or DOM...

Yesterday, I picked up Y first. I talked with him about sitting properly and he sat that way the whole entire ride to get M! When we got M, they fought over who would sit in the booster, so I designated Y to sit in the TWE. He complained a bit but once we started going he had fun sitting backwards :) I told them about the sticker chart which I made and when they get 10 stickers, they get a prize (I don't know what is it yet, any ideas?)

The only problem is when they are both together. They are siblings, so they fight, hit each other, yell, scream, you name it. It probably didn't help that they were sitting next to each other. I talked to M about sitting properly. I took side roads in case I needed to pull over, which I did-once. They didn't even notice until I said "I had to pull over because you are not sitting in the proper position". I told her I should not be focused on her sitting right. I only had to tell her 3 times to sit properly, which is a big improvement from Friday.

We will see today what happens! Now that I have 2 boosters, it will be the real test. I still have the TWE installed for other kiddos, so I will use that as a last resort.

Thanks for everyone's ideas! It seems to be working thus far. I know they can do it. They are smart and old enough.

mommy-medic

IDK if it would work for them, but my kiddos love watching crash test dummies go flying and submarining. It helps them remember to sit correctly- even my oldest, who is in the adult belt.

Might be worth a shot?

HayleyCPST

IDK if it would work for them, but my kiddos love watching crash test dummies go flying and submarining. It helps them remember to sit correctly- even my oldest, who is in the adult belt.

Might be worth a shot?

LOL Good idea. I could try that when we get home. Are there any websites that you fancy?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC