Left a note on a car today......

emandbri

I was at the elementary school for Benjamin's party and noticed a scenera and was a bit disappointed that the car had tether anchors and the tether wasn't being used but then as I got closer I noticed it had no straps. :eek:

I left a note that said that some car seats can be used as boosters as well but this seat was not one of them, please buy a booster.

ADS

babidius

I'm nutty with my kids and their seats but I would never leave a note on someone elses car and if I saw someone leaving me a note like that I would be pissed. I believe there is a time and place for everything, I do not believe in being condescending to others.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I left a note yesterday. Keyfit in the center of a Jetta with LATCH. I simply said to check their car's manual, VW didn't allow a LATCH install in the center, but luckily the Keyfit is easy to install with the seatbelt. That was it.

Wendy

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm nutty with my kids and their seats but I would never leave a note on someone elses car and if I saw someone leaving me a note like that I would be pissed. I believe there is a time and place for everything, I do not believe in being condescending to others.

If someone was leaving me a note that could likely save my child's life, I would be forever grateful. It's only condescending if the tone of the note was -- and I'm assuming it was not. This wasn't a note saying the HBB didn't fit kids well, it was letting the person know about a gross misuse. I'm not a big fan of note-on-windshield but IMO in this case it was warranted.

andre149

I agree... if the note was written in a nice fashion I see nothing wrong with it. Best case scenario, the parent does their research and gets a more suitable seat. Worst case scenario, nothing changes and the parent throws away the note. If someone saw that I was doing something very dangerous with my child and I was unaware I would hope they would "leave me a note".

Baylor

And that's your opinion and I am entitled to mine and I find it condescending.

I don't think her note was condescending at all. And if some one was more worried about tone than the fact that the seat might not be safe at all and a child could die.. then they are worried about the wrong thing.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Most people will never go to a car seat clinic. The person who has a note on their car is one of those. They now know, and it is up to them to fix it, or let fate happen.

babidius

I don't get why people need to tell me they don't think the note is condescending. I am not telling anyone else what to think. That is part of the I know better mentality.

You guys are free to think whatever you want, leave as many notes as you want. I am telling you to me that tome it is not the right way to help. It is offputting.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
And that's your opinion and I am entitled to mine and I find it condescending.

I don't see it as any more condescending than when people stop me to let me know I've got a headlight or taillight out. Usually I already know and just haven't had the time/money to replace it yet, but I don't get offended or think it's condescending.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I don't get why people need to tell me they don't think the note is condescending. I am not telling anyone else what to think. That is part of the I know better mentality.

You guys are free to think whatever you want, leave as many notes as you want. I am telling you to me that tome it is not the right way to help. It is offputting.

Ok, so should we attempt to help? If so, can you tell us how?

babidius

People who want help, at carseat checks, volunteer to go to a daycare, school, etc, as I have seen mentioned in another thread. There seems to be many ways to help educate people who want to be educated.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
But if we see a deadly seat in a car, leave it alone? Right? What about a flat tire? Same thing? Leave it alone?

Baylor

It is just a conversation. I think leaving a note saying

" Hey IDIOT.. You have the wrong seat in there as a booster.." is condescending..

But offering information is not.

I have left notes for lots of things.. including tail lights out, flat tires.

You are entitled to how you feel. But I for one am just saying.. I would not be offended at all at something like that. It would cause me to do some research and get a good seat.

Baylor

People who want help, at carseat checks, volunteer to go to a daycare, school, etc, as I have seen mentioned in another thread. There seems to be many ways to help educate people who want to be educated.

I think that is saying that everyone out there with bad seats, knows it and is fine with it.

I think that many just do not know that what they are doing is that dangerous.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

So many people don't know that carseat techs exist, that they are doing anything wrong, so this may be their first introduction to education.

Wendy

babidius

You want to be right be right, I'm not going to argue with you. I like coming to the board for info but when I see stuff like this it really turns me off.

Do you volunteer to go to schools, daycares or maybe birthing classes at Hospitals that don't have techs? Maybe a local Moms group you could volunteer to check their cars while their kids play at a park or is it just easier to criticize random people because it is more convenient.

Baylor

You want to be right be right, I'm not going to argue with you. I like coming to the board for info but when I see stuff like this it really turns me off.

Do you volunteer to go to schools, daycares or maybe birthing classes at Hospitals that don't have techs? Maybe a local Moms group you could volunteer to check their cars while their kids play at a park or is it just easier to criticize random people because it is more convenient.

Not one person has criticized you. I think we were trying to understand why you find it condescending.. If you do, You can just crumple it and toss it but what about those moms who may not know better?? And think they are being as safe as possible?

For the Record.. should any of you techs want to come peek in my windows and tell me what is wrong.. I will pm my address...;)

NannyMom

But what if they don't know there is info they don't have? I know when I first started nannying, I made big mistakes with carseats. BIG ones. I didn't know any better, and neither did the parents. I didn't know there were seat check. I didn't know there were techs, CPSTs.

I have tried volunteering to go to schools, daycares, and hospitals. And I've often been turned down, or left multiple messages and never received calls back.

I'm sorry that you feel it's condescending. I am not going to say you're wrong in your feelings, we can all feel however we want :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC