Since there are many sceptical of plastic degradation

Jennifer mom to my 7

I thought this would be a good discussion. These are the plastic knobs of my dryer, that has sat next to a window with southwest? exposure (sun is pretty much at the back of the house all day). This dryer has been here for about 7.5 years. The first one started disintegrating and fell off after about 5 years.

I know the plastic is probably a bit different, but I think it may be the same concept.

knob4.jpg

knob3.jpg

knob2.jpg

knob1.jpg

Anyone want to discuss?

ADS

christineka

Oh, I know that plastic degrades, but there are all different types of plastic and it comes in different thicknesses and such. I've left a bucket outside in the sun. A month later I picked it up and it shattered.

My washer and dryer are nearly 6 years old. The knobs are plastic. There's nothing wrong with them at all, except being a bit dusty.

Jennifer mom to my 7

But that is the point. Where is your washer and dryer located? Are they in direct sunlight, as can happen with carseats in cars throughout the day?

Forgot to add: There are some people that post here, and in other places, who do believe plastic does NOT degrade.

Baylor

But that is the point. Where is your washer and dryer located? Are they in direct sunlight, as can happen with carseats in cars throughout the day?

Forgot to add: There are some people that post here, and in other places, who do believe plastic does NOT degrade.

I absolutely believe that plastic degrades and that the cold/hot extreme along with the way cars get so extremely hot in the summers in a closed car and then cools again, degrades the plastic in the seats over time.

However.. It always make me laugh when people say plastic bottles will be in landfills forever.. That I don't buy...;)

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Plastic does degrade, but at different rates depending on the type of plastic and the conditions.

The main reason car seats expire is because of changes in safety regulations/testing requirements. Degradation of parts probably does play into it after a while, but my understanding is that it's not the main reason. It is probably the easiest to grasp, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC