picky eaters

broken4u05

Ok i thought of this when posting on a different thread but than thought to ask about it because other people might need it. I have a Picky eater i take care of and it feels like i have tired everything to feed him but he hates most of it. He has gotten a lot better over though. What are some of the things you feed your kids? they are 16 months right now and hate veggies the most any good ideas on getting them to eat them? Thanks

ADS

JaRylan

LOL, this is the reply that I had typed out on the other thread and then I got a server error, refreshed and saw this post!

He has always LOVED vegetables. Green beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, all colours of peppers, raw and cooked onions, broccoli, cucumber, zucchini, spaghetti squash, asparagus, lettuce, and spinach are favourites. The only thing he didn't like for a while is mashed potatoes. I don't know what I did to have such a wonderful veggie eater (he steals onions off the counter). He likes fruit too, but would probably eat veggies first. The little girl I babysat for half a year (started at 11 months) was not a veggie eater when she first started coming but after a month she was.

Maybe a veggie face plate - mushroom ears, cucumber eyes, carrot stick hair. Or some dips or funny shapes.

This is sooo gooood...beef broccoli, chicken fried rice, shrimp and a spring roll.

Any word from Jenny yet?

Last edited:

JaRylan

There, it finally showed up! For some reason it wouldn't let me post one of my sentences, weird.

broken4u05

No word from jenny. But she might of gone to bed after a long day.
they love fruits but veggies no way. And i do not know if they will get the face thing yet. we have never tired peppers yet maybe that would be something. and they used to eat the baby squash but i dont know if they have had squash since than. I guess i will try that too.. Talking to their moms first though...

Morganthe

I think that loving veggies is an inherited trait. Either you gots it or you don't. :p
My mom has always adored vegetables, tart tastes, & bitters. My dad has always disliked veggies and the others. According to my mom, I liked veggies when I was young (9-18 months). She acts as if my dad contaminated me when I remember the opposite. My stomach & gut ached after eating them and eventually my taste buds would reject them. Anything with onions, peppers, beans, chickpeas, and most other veggies are just not tolerated by me or my dad. He has reflux, his dad (my grandfather) was painfully thin and could hardly eat, & I found out recently that my great grandfather had throat surgery in 1920 (which can be a sign of reflux too). So it's likely an inherited problem with our digestion systems.

DD is the same way. Liked some as a baby when she started solids -- green beans, frozen peas, sweet potato, corn but that was about all she could tolerate. Cooked carrots still make her throw up. But she loves raw little ones. There were also fruits that made her sick too, but most of those have been outgrown. I figure her body was protecting her from 'bad' foods that would have made her sicker. I'm still not pushing veggies because I don't like the taste once let alone 4 hours afterwards, so I don't know what she doesn't like or just doesn't agree with her.
Sometimes being a parent is difficult ;)

Last edited:

broken4u05

Thanks. sometimes it comes and goes too. One day they like peas the next day they do not. lol I guess just offer it but not make them eat it

JaRylan

I think that loving veggies is an inherited trait. Either you gots it or you don't. :p
My mom has always adored vegetables, tart tastes, & bitters. My dad has always disliked veggies and the others. According to my mom, I liked veggies when I was young (9-18 months). She acts as if my dad contaminated me when I remember the opposite. My stomach & gut ached after eating them and eventually my taste buds would reject them. Anything with onions, peppers, beans, chickpeas, and most other veggies are just not tolerated by me or my dad. He has reflux, his dad (my grandfather) was painfully thin and could hardly eat, & I found out recently that my great grandfather had throat surgery in 1920 (which can be a sign of reflux too). So it's likely an inherited problem with our digestion systems.

DD is the same way. Liked some as a baby when she started solids -- green beans, frozen peas, sweet potato, corn but that was about all she could tolerate. Cooked carrots still make her throw up. But she loves raw little ones. There were also fruits that made her sick too, but most of those have been outgrown. I figure her body was protecting her from 'bad' foods that would have made her sicker. I'm still not pushing veggies because I don't like the taste once let alone 4 hours afterwards, so I don't know what she doesn't like or just doesn't agree with her.
Sometimes being a parent is difficult ;)

Good point Morganthe. A friend of mine who has allergies says that if your body reacts to a food (gas, upset tummy, burps, etc.) then it might be that you are having a form of an allergic reaction or an intolerance to that food. Rylan's Great-Grandma would eat a raw onion like it was an apple...and so would Rylan if I let him, lol, right now I stick to slices of it. My nephew on the other hand does not like veggies, actually he doesn't like any food until he decides he might want to put it in his mouth. It is so opposite from Rylan that I have a hard time *remembering* that he won't eat it and you can't entice him no matter what.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The best advice for eating - especially toddlers, is to offer a healthy variety of foods and let them choose what to eat and how much. When it comes to nutrition of a toddler, don't so much look at meal by meal, but the bigger picture - over the course of a week, are they getting a good variety of foods? It's normal for toddlers to eat the same thing for a week and then reject it outright after that. It's also said that some foods need to be tried as many as 10 to 12 times before a kid will accept it.

Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it. Try some new things, maybe add some sauces like cheese sauce to broccoli if they like cheese... really play up how much you enjoy it, cut it differently - some kids like apples whole, some like slices. Green beans you can try cut or whole... have you tried zucchinii fried in a frypan?

All you can do is offer... try not to sweat it. Kids pick up on that kind of thing and as they get older it could become a power struggle.

broken4u05

I don't worry about it that much i kinda just wanted to know if we were forgeting something he might like so i was looking for ideas. I have already seen a few things we have not given him that i will bring up with his mom for the next food run. lol thanks

skaterbabs

FWIW, sometimes it's in the preperation. It may be a texture issue as well. I was always considered a picky eater, yet I have the most adventurous palate of anyone in my family. The trick is it must be prepared well and the texture has to be right/

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC