Can I ask the Car Seat Techs...

Baylor

What made you get certified? I find myself now wanting to do it. I am not sure of cost or if I can even get into a class but I want to badly to make sure every child I know is safe in their car.

What made you go for it?

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
What made you get certified? I find myself now wanting to do it. I am not sure of cost or if I can even get into a class but I want to badly to make sure every child I know is safe in their car.

What made you go for it?

I did it because there was a definite need in my area.

But I do need to caution you, expecting that every child you know will be safe in their car is completely unrealistic. You will work with lots of people who will choose not to do best practice, who will insist their kiddo be turned at one and 20, who will insist on a booster at 3 and 30, who will fail to properly snug the harness or put their kids in puffy coats...no matter what you tell them.

A more realistic expectation is 'I will try to ensure that every parent I come in contact with gets the best information out there, delivered in a manner that will hopefully allow them to be receptive, and to keep the future lines of communication open with me.'. :twocents:

Baylor

I did it because there was a definite need in my area.

But I do need to caution you, expecting that every child you know will be safe in their car is completely unrealistic. You will work with lots of people who will choose not to do best practice, who will insist their kiddo be turned at one and 20, who will insist on a booster at 3 and 30, who will fail to properly snug the harness or put their kids in puffy coats...no matter what you tell them.

A more realistic expectation is 'I will try to ensure that every parent I come in contact with gets the best information out there, delivered in a manner that will hopefully allow them to be receptive, and to keep the future lines of communication open with me.'. :twocents:

Yes I am sure that is true. I can offer but it will not always be accepted. I am sure it is the same with everything else in motherdom.

But at least I will know if they want the help.. they can and will get it.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
What CTPD wrote.

Please remember that as CPSTs (or advocates), we are educators. We are not evangelists or enforcers. It is our job to provide education to parents who want it. It is not our job -- nor is it effective at all -- to question other parents' decisions, it is not our job to peek in strangers' cars, it is not our job to "make every kid safe". It is our job to provide information to parents so that they can make educated choices, which we may or may not agree with.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

This, although I would go so far as to say "every parent who wants the information," rather than everyone I come in contact with. People don't usually take kindly to a stranger (or even a friend) walking up to them and offering advice.

My friends know I'm certified, and if they want information, they come to me. I rarely say anything to them unsolicited.

As for strangers, I NEVER give advice unless it's something extremely egregious (like the time I followed a woman into a parking lot when her child was literally bouncing all over the car unbelted). If I'm in the car seat section of a store, I often let people know that I'm a tech in case they have any questions (and they usually take me up on the offer), but I don't say anything beyond that without their invitation.

One of the hardest parts about being a tech (or an advocate) is knowing when to keep one's mouth shut, and then actually doing it. And not dwelling on other people's mistakes. And not taking it personally when people don't take our advice.

That's not to say that it's all misery. The benefits are when people DO want information and DO follow recommendations.

Baylor

This, although I would go so far as to say "every parent who wants the information," rather than everyone I come in contact with. People don't usually take kindly to a stranger (or even a friend) walking up to them and offering advice.

My friends know I'm certified, and if they want information, they come to me. I rarely say anything to them unsolicited.

As for strangers, I NEVER give advice unless it's something extremely egregious (like the time I followed a woman into a parking lot when her child was literally bouncing all over the car unbelted). If I'm in the car seat section of a store, I often let people know that I'm a tech in case they have any questions (and they usually take me up on the offer), but I don't say anything beyond that without their invitation.

One of the hardest parts about being a tech (or an advocate) is knowing when to keep one's mouth shut, and then actually doing it. And not dwelling on other people's mistakes. And not taking it personally when people don't take our advice.

That's not to say that it's all misery. The benefits are when people DO want information and DO follow recommendations.

Isn't that bold section how it is in life? lol.. Just as a parent to parent thing. I once saw a woman in the store letting her child suck on the hand sanitizer bottle.. I nicely told her that it was probably not a good idea and why and she said.. She can't really get it open.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think children should be properly restrained. I think children should be breastfed until at least age 2. I think children should watch less than an hour of television per day. I think children should not eat anything with HFCS in it. (And I can back all this up with good research.)

I don't approach other parents to offer my opinion about their tv/movie viewing, formula-feeding, or snacking. It would be rude and intrusive. Carseats are no different.

Murphy's Law

I became interested in 2002 when my first son was born with health problems that made it increasingly less possible for him to safely ride in a regular seat. After he passed away I promised myself that some day I would do what I could to find an appropriate way to transport kids just like him. So I became certified. I took the special needs class. And I'm still looking. :( Options are slightly better, but still lacking for what some kids need.

I have a friend who is a police officer and also a tech. I told him to keep his ears open if there was a class around for me. He let me know when and that's how I got started with it. I think that was in 2007.

NebraskaMom

I've been interested in becoming certified since 2004 when my son was turned FF and it just didn't feel "right". He was a tall but very skinny little guy and as a Mom I just felt there was something wrong with his little self being so exposed to the "outside world" (forward-facing).

Anyways, I began researching like crazy and stumbled upon a forum with a bunch of CPSTs...and the rest is history. I was an advocate until I could finally take a class that was offered in the summer, in my area and during a time which I was not working, in school or needing to be home full-time. The hardest part was waiting for a class that I could actually make it to. I am so glad I did though, I love it.

As for keeping my mouth shut and unsolicited advice giving. I'm bad about it, so to compensate for being able to keep my mouth shut I'm working on presentations for as many elementary schools, daycares and MOPS groups I possibly can. My goal is to spread the word no matter what that there are actually safe ways for children to ride in the car, and how "it used to be done" isn't exactly the safest anymore.

CTPDMom

Absolutely agree. :thumbsup:

(Although my intent was 'every parent I come in contact with in my role as a tech' , meaning at check events, etc.)

Thanks for pointing that out!

Baylor

I think children should be properly restrained. I think children should be breastfed until at least age 2. I think children should watch less than an hour of television per day. I think children should not eat anything with HFCS in it. (And I can back all this up with good research.)

I don't approach other parents to offer my opinion about their tv/movie viewing, formula-feeding, or snacking. It would be rude and intrusive. Carseats are no different.

I am going to have to disagree. I don't think that it is the same at all. Those other things will not kill the child. Not being properly strapped in a car seat can be deadly.

I agree with the other things you said and feel the same way. But car seats to me is definitely different.
do I think that means I should go check every car that goes past me and see if the child is safe? No but you bet your bottom dollar that I have called the cops when I see babies on laps and 2 year olds dancing in the back seat on a highway.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Absolutely agree. :thumbsup:

(Although my intent was 'every parent I come in contact with in my role as a tech' , meaning at check events, etc.)

Thanks for pointing that out!

I figured that's what you meant ;) but wanted to clarify just in case.

Baylor

I became interested in 2002 when my first son was born with health problems that made it increasingly less possible for him to safely ride in a regular seat. After he passed away I promised myself that some day I would do what I could to find an appropriate way to transport kids just like him. So I became certified. I took the special needs class. And I'm still looking. :( Options are slightly better, but still lacking for what some kids need.

I have a friend who is a police officer and also a tech. I told him to keep his ears open if there was a class around for me. He let me know when and that's how I got started with it. I think that was in 2007.

I am so sorry for your loss. Maybe that is a way for me. My mom was an EMT.. I bet she knows someone who could find me a class!! Thanks for that!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
No but you bet your bottom dollar that I have called the cops when I see babies on laps and 2 year olds dancing in the back seat on a highway.

Blatantly breaking the law is one thing (and even so, you involved the authorities, whose job it is to respond to broken laws -- you didn't handle it yourself), but legitimate parenting differences (like boostering) is quite another.

Baylor

Blatantly breaking the law is one thing (and even so, you involved the authorities, whose job it is to respond to broken laws -- you didn't handle it yourself), but legitimate parenting differences (like boostering) is quite another.

Exactly. Eating habits, tv watching.. all parenting choices.. Proper Car seat installs and child safety issues are not the same thing.

CTPDMom

I am going to have to disagree. I don't think that it is the same at all. Those other things will not kill the child. Not being properly strapped in a car seat can be deadly.

I agree with the other things you said and feel the same way. But car seats to me is definitely different.
do I think that means I should go check every car that goes past me and see if the child is safe? No but you bet your bottom dollar that I have called the cops when I see babies on laps and 2 year olds dancing in the back seat on a highway.

Babies on laps and 2 year olds unrestrained...heck, we ALL want to call the police on those people...and many of us (techs or not) do call.

I think the point was this:

If the parent of a 23 lb 16 mo old has her child forward-facing, he/she is not in violation of the law. If her seat is properly installed, the harness is properly snug, the seat is being used according to manufacturer's instructions...that child is safe. SafEST? No.

Would I give unsolicited advice if I saw this parent in the parking lot of Walmart? Probably not. Just as I wouldn't comment on them giving the child juice, or a lollipop, or a bottle either.

There's a continuum here. Lots and lots of shades of gray. Very little black and white.

Baylor

Babies on laps and 2 year olds unrestrained...heck, we ALL want to call the police on those people...and many of us (techs or not) do call.

I think the point was this:

If the parent of a 23 lb 16 mo old has her child forward-facing, he/she is not in violation of the law. If her seat is properly installed, the harness is properly snug, the seat is being used according to manufacturer's instructions...that child is safe. SafEST? No.

Would I give unsolicited advice if I saw this parent in the parking lot of Walmart? Probably not. Just as I wouldn't comment on them giving the child juice, or a lollipop, or a bottle either.

There's a continuum here. Lots and lots of shades of gray. Very little black and white.

Sounds completely reasonable..

NannyMom

To us it is different. But to others, it's the same. Parents see it as an attack on their parenting skills if you start telling them they could be restraining their children in a safer way. They feel they made the right decision because their pediatrician told them, or their sister in law did it, or whatever.

I know many, many, many parents that know I'm a tech. At my charge's gymnastics class, the other Moms knew I was off work for a week to take the course. But only 1 asked me a question, and that was whether or not I wanted her outgrown seats (which turned out to be expired). But, I have a blog. And I post as much info as I can on Facebook. I try to get info out in other ways :) I am in a couple Mom's email groups. I have in my siggy that I'm a tech, and I've gotten a few questions from Moms.

Why did I take the course? Probably for the same reasons you want to ;) I wanted to help as many children as I could. As a Nanny and a Mom, I had access to alot of families. I had visions of all of them asking me for help, and to check their seats. That didn't happen :( But, I was able to help some. And I've been a tech now for 2 years and I've been able to help MANY children ride safer in the car. I don't count the hundreds I couldn't help. I count the 1 I could.

There's a story about starfish. There was a boy standing at the ocean's edge, throwing starfish back into the water. But there were hundreds all over the beach. A man came along and told the boy, forget it....you'll never save them all. You'll never make a difference. The boy picked up 1, and threw it into the water. He said he just made a difference to that one. This is the way I view it with carseats. I can make a difference to 1 at a time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC