old sceneras RF to 21 pounds?

sharsachan

i was just wondering, i have a lady i've met online through a baby board, she told me she currently has her 17 month daughter forward facing because her seat only RF to 21 pounds, i asked her what kind of seat it was that RF so low but FF too [thinking maybe she was misusing an infant carrier or something] and she told me she has a old Scenera. I told her if it only RF to 21 pounds I would think it's expired since seats go to 30, 35 and 40 [and 45!] now days. i couldnt really find anything online but does anyone know if they are still okay? i can't check out her seat for her since she's across the country, and i have suggested that she go purchase a NEW scenera so she can RF her daughter again [which she claims she wants to do] but really, i can't imagine that a Scenera that only RF to 21 pounds wouldn't be expired yet, she claims "its old and coming up on expiration date." but not expired yet....

ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
No, its probably that confusing wording that says something about use rear-facing only for babies 20 pounds and under. It means, it can ONLY be used RF (not FF) for that size child, not that it can't be used for bigger kids. There should be another spot on the sticker that says RF to 35 pounds.

kbud

i was just wondering, i have a lady i've met online through a baby board, she told me she currently has her 17 month daughter forward facing because her seat only RF to 21 pounds, i asked her what kind of seat it was that RF so low but FF too [thinking maybe she was misusing an infant carrier or something] and she told me she has a old Scenera. I told her if it only RF to 21 pounds I would think it's expired since seats go to 30, 35 and 40 [and 45!] now days. i couldnt really find anything online but does anyone know if they are still okay? i can't check out her seat for her since she's across the country, and i have suggested that she go purchase a NEW scenera so she can RF her daughter again [which she claims she wants to do] but really, i can't imagine that a Scenera that only RF to 21 pounds wouldn't be expired yet, she claims "its old and coming up on expiration date." but not expired yet....

I have a Scenera that will expire in less than 6 months and it rf to 35 pounds. So I'd say it either rf to 35 or is expired.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
The Scenera never rf to 21lbs. It's always been 35lbs IIRC (but 30 for sure, but I'm betting 35lbs). Before that, it was the Touriva...and even then it had a 22lbs limit. ;)

crunchierthanthou

No, its probably that confusing wording that says something about use rear-facing only for babies 20 pounds and under. It means, it can ONLY be used RF (not FF) for that size child, not that it can't be used for bigger kids. There should be another spot on the sticker that says RF to 35 pounds.

Yes, it's probably the required wording about forward facing minimums and the Scenera's minimum is 22 lbs. So when it says "Use only rf for a child under 1 year and 22 lbs" it means you can't use it ff any time before that. However, you can certainly use it rear facing longer than that - up the the 35 lb rf limit. It also has a 34" ff minimum, which according to the CDC tables is roughly a 50the percentile 2 year old.

sharsachan

yep, my 2 1/2 yr old still isn't 34 inches yet :)

Yes, it's probably the required wording about forward facing minimums and the Scenera's minimum is 22 lbs. So when it says "Use only rf for a child under 1 year and 22 lbs" it means you can't use it ff any time before that. However, you can certainly use it rear facing longer than that - up the the 35 lb rf limit. It also has a 34" ff minimum, which according to the CDC tables is roughly a 50the percentile 2 year old.

2BunniesMommy

This is what I am thinking.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC