LC replacing my True Fit

jess71903

Ambassador
I love my True Fit. I always have. Gage is using it again now that he's FF, and I love it all over again. I noticed this after the first or second installation.
CIMG2258.jpg

CIMG2259.jpg

The first time, I didn't really think much of it. I just slid the little clip back over and under the hook. The second time, I noticed the tear (?) in the metal and decided to email LC about it. I wasn't expecting much, especially since it's a 1/08 seat. I really feel fine using it as is. The part that would bear the force of a crash is just fine, and the way it is anchored means I have to loosen the strap quite a bit to get it off.

So, I sent my pics and Emma just emailed me back that they will be replacing my seat at their cost so their engineers can look at it. She told me to take all the fabric off the seat because they won't need it! I haven't always been impressed with LC customer service, but I am now!

ADS

jjordan

That's great! Kind of a scary pic, even though, as you said, that's not the part of the tether that bears any weight.

jess71903

Ambassador
Just got my replacement seat. I'm to put the old seat in the new box and let UPS pick it up. I can't rave enough about LC's customer service. I emailed with Emma and talked to Jennifer and they were both fabulous. I was told I could keep the old cover and harness so now I have spares.
In my correspondence with Emma I managed to work in my wish for a 40lb RF TF. She said she'd pass the request along. I know it probably won't do much good but it made me feel better :).

ericarizo

We just turned our DD Forward-Facing and went to hook the top tether and this is what we found.

View attachment 8515

View attachment 8514

I contacted The First Years and they told me that it is not required to use the top tether in the US and that it is not a safety issue??? I asked them then why is it a part of the seat and it is recommended...

Last edited:

ericarizo

Here is the email I sent them with the pictures they requested.

Here are the pictures that you requested. They are of the tether anchor and strap. You can see where the part of the metal is broken and the strap is frayed. We just turned our Daughter Forward Facing so this has never been used. I purchased this seat because I felt it would be safe and although I know that the tether is not mandatory in the US I feel it plays an important role in our Daughter's safety. We are looking to purchase one for our infant son as well but need to be able to feel that safety is The First Years number 1 priority and that our children will be safe when using your products.

jess71903

Ambassador
It may be that they are using my seat to check it out before knowing how to proceed. We may be looking at a recall soon.

TBH, I was comfortable using the seat as it was. The clip is still in place and will do its job, and the tether can still do what it's supposed to do.

KDsmommy

Mine looks just like the pics ericarizo posted. Only on mine, the part of the metal that is "torn" is now rusted. I guess I need to give LC a call.

I'm still using the seat and feel comfortible doing so, but I'm curious what their response will be.

ETA: I just got of the phone with Crystal from LC. I need to get the model # and manufacture date from the seat and call her back. She said she was going to speak with her supervisor and would know how to proceed when I talk to her this afternoon.

ericarizo

So I am still waiting to hear back from LC. I emailed all the info and pics to them yesterday morning and have heard nothing back. I do not feel safe using the top tether since the strap is fraying as well because it could break loose in the event of a crash, however I feel that these companies put the top tether on their seats for a reason(to be used of course) and I should be able to use mine. I had asked the lady yesterday if they could just send me a new top tether but she told me that my child's safety is not compromised if I do not use it.

cryswilkins

Those of you that have seats with this defect should report it to NHTSA. The strap should not look like that. The top tether is required to be used in the US if you are sung LATCH to install the seat, it is only optional in a seatbelt install.

ericarizo

I plan on calling them in just a few moments.

Those of you that have seats with this defect should report it to NHTSA. The strap should not look like that. The top tether is required to be used in the US if you are sung LATCH to install the seat, it is only optional in a seatbelt install.

ericarizo

So I just got off the phone with LC(Crystal) and they said that they never got the email I sent. They also told me that the department that needs to look at the pictures will be out till Monday. I asked why and they said because of the DOM of my seat. 3/31/08.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC