Check out ds's new carseat

leighi123

Check out ds's new carseat - added more photos

DSC05319.jpg

DSC05320.jpg

At the thrift store today that I go to ALL the time, I pulled 3 seats that were expired, and a turbo booster missing screws/no back and tones of stress marks all over it. Lady said "I thought carseats expired after 9 years", I have told them many many times not to put anything older than 5yrs old out, and nothing with missing bits or frayed straps (they wont quit selling them alltogether...Im trying!). Fine, she pulled those seats.

Then I go drop off the stuff I need to drop, and go see if they have any good fabric for sale, and I come back and she put out a new seat. This one!

Worse yet, its got a big hole in the strap and the other one is worn almost through, they are soft like they went through the wash a bunch. So I took it home, I just said "this is a death trap, I'll take care of it for you" and walked out with it. ARGH!!!

It is super clean though, so ds is using it as a rocking chair. It's shell is really pretty high, his head is just now at the top (if you mush down his hair and he sits properly). The strap adjustment is just crazy on it though, no way you could actually tighten it up.

Disclaimer: NO WAY is my son going to ride in this seat in the car, its good for a rocking chair, but not much else.

Last edited:
ADS

leighi123

I adjusted the straps to fit him - he is on the second tightest setting (6 settings), second slot. And his butt is 3" away from the crotch buckle. When he slouches to rock in it, his head is 2-3" below the top of the shell while buckled in.

Its a century seat, the date on it is 1990 (my sister had something that looks very similar only pastel colors, she is 21 now)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Wow, I kinda like that cover. Much better than the pastel green Graco jungle print line :eek: And, wow the base! It's amazing how far carseats have come in the past 20 years.

TerisBoys

Is it the harness adjuster with the rod that goes through different loops?

Could you take a picture of it and post so everyone can see how far seats have come?

Mylilboyblue

Wow! My brother Sam had a seat like that. He was born in 1991. His was a grey base and handle with a navy blue carpet like cover with a thin navy blue canopy and navy blue straps.

I would LOVE to see pictures of your little guy in the seat buckled in! My DS who is 3 days younger than yours is 32lbs and almost 40 inches! You have a rear-facing dream kid!

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Yeah, the rod in the back plus to get that thing off the base, you had to rotate the handle back (it was supposed to be in the car anyway) and then as you rotated it up, it would release. Strange and a bit difficult at first.

jaded

The base on that Century seat was a PITA to install in vehicles. That was the "infant seat with base" I had to install for my tech training.

KDsmommy

LOL I had that seat when I was a nanny in 1992!!!

I'm forever telling my local thrift stores about carseat expirations and such...yet every single time I go to one I find expired, dirty, disgusting seats. :mad:

Just yesterday I saw an Evenflo Joyride with the metal legs. It had to be an 80's seat.

Mommy2Marcus

WOW, that seat looks really good for as old as it is. It also looks really good & clean. Also wanted to add that your son is SOOOO cute!

leighi123

Took some more pics for you guys:

DSC05345.jpg

The whole seat
It has 2 slot heights (8.5" and 11"). There is no canopy on it. The handle can either be up or all the way back (goes below the shell). It has to be back in the car, b/c you put it up to release it from the car. Which seems like it would be a pain if you had a tight car to work in. There is slots for installing it without the base (which you can see in my first pic)

Side:
DSC05346.jpg

It is in very good shape, the stickers are intact and everything.

DSC05351.jpg

Here is the back, it has 6 adjustments for tightness, and ds needs his on the 3rd tightest setting to fit him, and the straps feel super thin (maybe they were washed, which would explain the hole - you cant really see the hole in the pics, its a vertical slit big enough to put my finger through)
For adjusting, you take the whole bar out and slide it in the right slot. Its super easy/fast to do, but doesnt get tight enough, and you have to take the kid out to do it.
The stickers on the back there say "push here to remove from shopping cart'

DSC05357.jpg

Ds's head, attempting to smush his hair. The shell ends where the ruffle joins the cover, so his head is right at the top. His torso is 11.75 and he has a massive head. He wears a 2T/3T in shirts (to accommodate the head) or 18month in button ups, and 18month in shorts. He only wears long pants that I make, so not sure the size for those (too hot in FL for pants, I'm lucky if he has underwear on!)

DSC05352.jpg

See there is 3" of space between his crotch and the crotch strap.

DSC05358.jpg

This is baby Jenny. She is 20" tall and has an 8ish" torso. She has 6" of space in the crotch area - a wash cloth here wouldnt do anything!

But yeah its really really clean, everything looks nice on it, so I'd worry someone would actually try and use it! Levi is having a great time with it.

See what I mean here:
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/...ctober 2010/?action=view&current=MOV05321.mp4

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/...ctober 2010/?action=view&current=MOV05322.mp4

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/...ctober 2010/?action=view&current=MOV05323.mp4

In case you cant catch it, he is saying "Im in an expired carseat and its my scary costume"

leighi123

I would LOVE to see pictures of your little guy in the seat buckled in! My DS who is 3 days younger than yours is 32lbs and almost 40 inches! You have a rear-facing dream kid!

Yep I do - and I bought the Radian anyway, so he will be RF forever at this rate!

His growth issues are do to crazy allergies though, so dont wish for it, this is the one benefit of having a small kid (that and never having to buy new clothes)

In my siggy pic, you can see how short he is - the headwings are at the lowest setting. He had on poofy pants too which made his torso taller!

4boysmom

I had the 5pt version of that seat for Ds#1 in late 2001. Not exactly the same as I want to say the crotch strap was closer/had 2 options but it certainly had that annoying rod. And we cloth diapered so having to change it if he had a thicker diaper on- or a thin onsie vs. thicker cotton T plus jeans.. ugh it was a nightmare!!! And I though I was so smart getting a 5pt vs the 3pt.

TerisBoys

The rod could be set on 2 different loops, which helped get it a "little" tighter, but it was nowhere near as precise as today's harness adjusters.

IIRC, all of Century's infant seats had that sort of adjuster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC