Vent: My daycare parents carseat use annoy me.

emtb79

I have 2 little babies that I keep along with lots of other kids but the babies parents are the ones that drive me nutty.

Baby#1 Mommy drops her off with the straps insanely loose and the chest clip touching the crotch buckle. The harness is on the top harness height.

Baby #2 Mommy drops her off in a Graco SNugride22 rear-adjust with the straps also loose(but not as loose as baby #1) and the chest clip touching the crotch buckle. the shoulder strap is completely off her right shoulder.:thumbsdown:

I have mentioned to both mommies that the straps are loose and that thing that is called a chest clip is called that for a reason because that is where it goes. I learned these things in my car seat tech class.

This is why I have my own car seats for my van.

ADS

andre149

Ugh... that is such a struggle when you know what can be done, tell the parents, and they choose not to. We used to have a little girl that came into our center in a thick marshmallow snow suit, with JUST the chest clip of her seat hooked... no matter how many times we told dad that was not at all safe he kept doing it :(

NebraskaMom

Have you offered a class-type thing or even a little refresher review that you could hold on a weekend at your house over a potluck lunch or something that would specifically deal with basic car-seat use and safety...

There are a couple home daycare providers in my area who have been in contact with me regarding this very thing. I'm working on a presentation right now that isn't real long, but rather more of a refresher. After it's over, I plan to stick around in case anyone wants a quick check of their installed seat. If the provider wants me to do thorough seat checks I will have to have appointments and I plan to contact another tech in my area as well as a senior checker (or instructor) to be present.

Just a thought...

leighi123

I had a daycare girl with the same thing - and I fixed it before she left every. single. day. They always acted like they understood but it would be the same the next day! She was a preemie too and super tiny.

There is a baby that I think is glued into her bucket seat that comes to my ds's science class (I have never seen her out of the seat, its an hour + long class), and I fix her seat every week too. Her dad always says he does, but he doesnt. He also has 3 across, all installed with LATCH, but he doesnt have LATCH in the center of his car.

emtb79

I even changed the height straps and told her that evening that was how its supposed to be over night someone either or her husband raised it to the higher slots again. Thats when I went out and got my own infant seats instead of just bases for their seats.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Try taking baby out without unhooking anything. Maybe if they see you take baby out that way it will click, that if you can do that---then the straps won't hold her in during a crash.

Susan

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I did a seat check for a mom at preschool the other day. She babysits a baby, has her own base (properly installed) :thumbsup: Her seats for her own 2 kids needed major help, but we fixed them up nice. She told me that when she first started to watch him the baby's mother was so excited to have a rocking base for her seat. I said there is no such thing, she replied, I know but she had it so loose she could reach back and rock him while she drove to keep him quiet... She told me she fixed it for the mom, I gave her my card and a USAA booklet for the mother LOL

NebraskaMom

She told me that when she first started to watch him the baby's mother was so excited to have a rocking base for her seat. I said there is no such thing, she replied, I know but she had it so loose she could reach back and rock him while she drove to keep him quiet...

Oh my goodness...I'm not quite sure what to say. Though, I can see how convenient that would be...if it was legal and safe ;)

emtb79

Try taking baby out without unhooking anything. Maybe if they see you take baby out that way it will click, that if you can do that---then the straps won't hold her in during a crash.

Susan

I tried that this morning and I couldnt take her out mom thought I had lost it so I played it off as I thought I had unbuckled the seat. I already had the chest clip undone. So that made it more believable.

This is how baby #1 came this morning.

Oh I got to give this one's dad a big thumbs up though he picks her up in the afternoon and tightens the straps and places the chest clip properly. They arent as tight as I would like them but they are ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cryssy Jane

This is how baby #1 came this morning.

We have that zip up! :)

I gave a demo kind of class to all my parents, there were two parents (not together) that felt I was full of it because I told them no way should their 2 year old be in a booster and that their baby had outgrown her bucket (SR22...baby was nearly 30lbs). They ended up withdrawling their kids because they told me that they weren't properly restrained in my vehicle :whistle: and they no longer felt comfortable with me transporting their kiddos.

Cryssy Jane

Chrssy Jane-I wondered what happened to the 2 kids in your sig.

Actually this are completely different. S had to leave because her parents split up and so she and mom are at grandmas which is a 45 minute drive. I still get to see her on weekends sometimes because dad lives 5 minutes away.

A's mom pulled her because of a dislocated elbow then proceeded to spread lies and rumors about me. Finally came back after two weeks and after I had received notice from dshs saying they changed providers to appologise and I told her she wasn't welcome in my house with that attitude.

Baby Clara is new and starts on Monday part time. But I'm still looking for one more kiddo. Possibly 2 is someone only needs two days a week part time.

emtb79

Ok my parents have been pretty good lately about bringing their kids in with straps relatively better. So yesterday one mentioned it was getting colder and sure was going to get something warmer for her for the car seat. I mentioned just remember the only that goes on her when putting her in her seat is nothing thicker than a light jacket like she had been wearing then put blankets over top of her or the car seat covers on the seat. And she said yea I had one of those covers for her son so she knew what I meant. A snow suit.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC