Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Weight V Age for ERF?

I have some questions and am hoping you can help me.

My son is 3 1/2 and weighs 21LB and is 34 Inches tall, he is currently FF in a convertable seat (5 point harness, top tether). He meets the minimum weight to FF - (approx 18lb), and his seat seems to fit him well, the side protection head wings cradle his head nicely and I have a rock solid install which is great.

His seat can legally RF till 26lb (the standard where we live) and so he could technically RF .

I have read on here that RF is safest till 4yrs, does that apply to 23lb four year olds (that is what I am hoping he will weigh when he is four), does the physical maturity angle apply to very small older children?

Also I should note that RF past 1 yr is very rare here and RF past 2yrs almost unheard of (I RF him until 2yrs 10m), however I am willing to put up with the criticism if it means he will be much safer.

Due to his medical issues he has a 19 inch head circumference so his body proportions and more similar to a baby than a preschooler, which is why I asked about the safer or not at four thing.

OK my other problem is that my MIL bought a cheap booster that children can legally use here from 4yrs with a seatbelt, I have been able to hold her off from using it so far because they are illegal under 4yrs (unless children are too big for a 5 point harness) but she is saying how she will be able to use it on his birthday but I am not happy about this as IMO a 21/22/23lb child just cannot be safe in a booster/seatbelt combo! Please tell me I am right about this!

I guess I want to know if I am doing the right thing...

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

Re: Weight V Age for ERF?

You're quite right--your child would still be better off rear-facing, if a seat is available that he can still rear-face in. It sounds like he has some medical concerns, as well? If his physical development is delayed, this is even more support for the benefits of extended rear-facing--both safety, and the added benefit of a slightly increased angle of recline. Extended rear-facing is very rare where you are, as is extended harnessing--both in part due to education and the poor weight limits on your seats.

Check the information on the booster seat that your MIL purchased--chances are it has either a 30 or 40lb minimum weight limit and cannot be used by your child, anyways.. But never forget this--YOU are the parent, YOU dictate how your child is transported.

-N.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com