Which vans have seats that fold into the floor?

Holly

I'm pretty sure we'd be buying used. Not super used, within the past few years I'd guess.
I'd want LATCH in both outboard positions in the 3rd row because I want to have the kids in LATCHable boosters I think.
I'd also want a TA in at least one of the outboard positions and in the center 3rd row.
When we get our van, Abby will still be harnessed and I'd want both girls outboard so there is some space between them. I'd want one in the center so if we have 3 across sometime when transporting other adults, Josh can have one (He'll be RF for a lot longer still but we'd have the van still when he is FFing).

So what does the Odyssey have as far as LATCH and TA's? Do they have an 8 passenger? Not that we'd need it or anything.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The Odyssey first had an 8-passenger version in the 2005 model year and the Sienna did starting in the 2004 model year. Neither the Sienna nor the Ody have full LATCH in both third row outboard seating positions - that's rare for most van models. Get ready to do some more reading, lol, because I'm going to link you to several must reads for researching and comparing Ody and Sienna models.

Various details on the Ody and Sienna model years in terms of seating configurations, LATCH and tether anchor info. are all listed in this previous thread at: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1358985

The redesigned 2011 Odyssey was reviewed by Darren recently in his Carseatblog entries at http://carseatblog.com/6854/2011-honda-odyssey-review-kids-family-and-safety/ and http://carseatblog.com/6891/2011-honda-odyssey-review-part-ii-kids-family-and-safety/

The redesigned 2011 Sienna was reviewed by Murphydog last spring for Carseatblog at http://carseatblog.com/6008/2011-toyota-sienna-review-part-1-mommy-like/ and http://carseatblog.com/6038/2011-toyota-sienna-review-part-2-mommy-fun/

Holly

Thanks for posting the link to Darren's review of the 2011 Odyssey!
I want one! Thats exactly what I was looking for! The 3rd row has LATCH on both outboard seats and a top tether for the center seat! I love that we could probably put all 3 kids in the 3rd row if needed, or all 3 in the 2nd row if we want them closer for a road trip or something where we'll have stuff in the back.
I didn't look at the price tag yet, I'm afraid to LOL! I so want that van though!

luckyclov

I have an '09 Grand Caravan. So unless something has changed recently, yes, the headrests come off - all of them. I have one stored in my captain's chair stow n go floor compartment right now. ;)

ETA: I prefer the GC over other minivans - I'm on my 2nd one and the next will be one, as well. HOWEVER, I will never have more than a booster or two in the 3rd row, so "extra" LATCH in the 3rd row is a non-issue for me (and we knew that before we bought). There is only 1 full set of LATCH, off center, in the 3rd row (lower anchor and top tether).

The 2004-2010 Sienna has straps for the 2nd row. You can have them tumbled forward and use the straps to keep them in place so they don't flop around.

The 8th seat on the 2010 and older Odyssey is nearly useless. On the Sienna, it's awesome (can put a carseat on it). For the new 2011, it's switched. The Sienna's 8th seat is useless and the Odyssey's is even better than the old Sienna's 8th seat.

Sit in the Stow and Go seats for a while. Because they have to be constructed a certain way, some people don't like the comfort of the Stow and Go seats.

Regardless, I don't think it's necessary to keep one folded all the time to ease access. It's not that big a deal to flip the 2nd row seats forward. Should be much easier than most SUVs with 3rd rows because minivans were designed knowing the 3rd row would be used pretty often while SUVs aren't.

Yes, the VW Routan has the Stow and Go. Even better, since they improved the interior, the seats have different padding and are supposed to be more comfortable. The suspension is retuned as well so the VW is definitely worth checking out if you consider the Chrysler vans. That said, the Chrysler's don't win comparos anymore cuz Honda/Toyota have out-minivaned them. More space, bigger 3rd rows, etc. Chrysler has the Stow and Go and... well, that's it.

Nearly, but it can still be used quite often by a teenager or adult, or by certain seats. :)

True, but once you've tried the good 8th seat, it's nearly impossible to go back. My butt has been spoiled. I like sitting with both cheeks, and I'm skinny. :p And if I have all the space a minivan has, it seems wrong to be limited to certain car seats cuz of space. Especially if there's an alternative giving me a wink and a beckoning finger showing me how I don't have to sacrifice. See, who says minivans can't be sexy?

jmm3

Going back to the OP--we have a 2005 Nissan Quest, and the 2nd row captain's chairs fold down almost flat. They don't go into the floor, but the floor of the 3rd row is slightly raised, so the 2nd row seats collapse to create an almost flat floor. We've only used it that way a few times.
In ours, there is unfortunately only one set of LATCH in the 3rd row, and it's the center. I don't know if they fixed that in other model years.

The one thing I really like about the captain's chairs is that you can install an FF seat with LATCH on the captain's chair, and the whole chair can be tilted forward to give access to the 3rd row. In most other minivans, the seatback flips down, so you can't flip the seat to get to the 3rd row if you have a carseat there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC