Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Which vans have seats that fold into the floor?

I'm pretty sure we'd be buying used. Not super used, within the past few years I'd guess.
    I'd want LATCH in both outboard positions in the 3rd row because I want to have the kids in LATCHable boosters I think.
    I'd also want a TA in at least one of the outboard positions and in the center 3rd row.
    When we get our van, Abby will still be harnessed and I'd want both girls outboard so there is some space between them. I'd want one in the center so if we have 3 across sometime when transporting other adults, Josh can have one (He'll be RF for a lot longer still but we'd have the van still when he is FFing).

So what does the Odyssey have as far as LATCH and TA's? Do they have an 8 passenger? Not that we'd need it or anything.
    Mom to:
    Hannah 11 Graco Connext, Abby 10 Graco Connext, Josh 7 Recaro Performance Booster, and Zach 2 1/2 Sunshine Kids Radian 80.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

The Odyssey first had an 8-passenger version in the 2005 model year and the Sienna did starting in the 2004 model year. Neither the Sienna nor the Ody have full LATCH in both third row outboard seating positions - that's rare for most van models. Get ready to do some more reading, lol, because I'm going to link you to several must reads for researching and comparing Ody and Sienna models.

Various details on the Ody and Sienna model years in terms of seating configurations, LATCH and tether anchor info. are all listed in this previous thread at: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1358985

The redesigned 2011 Odyssey was reviewed by Darren recently in his Carseatblog entries at http://carseatblog.com/6854/2011-hon...ly-and-safety/ and http://carseatblog.com/6891/2011-hon...ly-and-safety/

The redesigned 2011 Sienna was reviewed by Murphydog last spring for Carseatblog at http://carseatblog.com/6008/2011-toy...-1-mommy-like/ and http://carseatblog.com/6038/2011-toy...t-2-mommy-fun/
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

4. Thank You from:

Thanks for posting the link to Darren's review of the 2011 Odyssey!
    I want one! Thats exactly what I was looking for! The 3rd row has LATCH on both outboard seats and a top tether for the center seat! I love that we could probably put all 3 kids in the 3rd row if needed, or all 3 in the 2nd row if we want them closer for a road trip or something where we'll have stuff in the back.
    I didn't look at the price tag yet, I'm afraid to LOL! I so want that van though!
    Mom to:
    Hannah 11 Graco Connext, Abby 10 Graco Connext, Josh 7 Recaro Performance Booster, and Zach 2 1/2 Sunshine Kids Radian 80.

I have an '09 Grand Caravan. So unless something has changed recently, yes, the headrests come off - all of them. I have one stored in my captain's chair stow n go floor compartment right now.

ETA: I prefer the GC over other minivans - I'm on my 2nd one and the next will be one, as well. HOWEVER, I will never have more than a booster or two in the 3rd row, so "extra" LATCH in the 3rd row is a non-issue for me (and we knew that before we bought). There is only 1 full set of LATCH, off center, in the 3rd row (lower anchor and top tether).
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

The 2004-2010 Sienna has straps for the 2nd row. You can have them tumbled forward and use the straps to keep them in place so they don't flop around.

The 8th seat on the 2010 and older Odyssey is nearly useless. On the Sienna, it's awesome (can put a carseat on it). For the new 2011, it's switched. The Sienna's 8th seat is useless and the Odyssey's is even better than the old Sienna's 8th seat.

Sit in the Stow and Go seats for a while. Because they have to be constructed a certain way, some people don't like the comfort of the Stow and Go seats.

Regardless, I don't think it's necessary to keep one folded all the time to ease access. It's not that big a deal to flip the 2nd row seats forward. Should be much easier than most SUVs with 3rd rows because minivans were designed knowing the 3rd row would be used pretty often while SUVs aren't.

Yes, the VW Routan has the Stow and Go. Even better, since they improved the interior, the seats have different padding and are supposed to be more comfortable. The suspension is retuned as well so the VW is definitely worth checking out if you consider the Chrysler vans. That said, the Chrysler's don't win comparos anymore cuz Honda/Toyota have out-minivaned them. More space, bigger 3rd rows, etc. Chrysler has the Stow and Go and... well, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by codex57 View Post

The 8th seat on the 2010 and older Odyssey is nearly useless.
    Nearly, but it can still be used quite often by a teenager or adult, or by certain seats.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Quote Originally Posted by lovinwaves View Post
    Nearly, but it can still be used quite often by a teenager or adult, or by certain seats.
    True, but once you've tried the good 8th seat, it's nearly impossible to go back. My butt has been spoiled. I like sitting with both cheeks, and I'm skinny. And if I have all the space a minivan has, it seems wrong to be limited to certain car seats cuz of space. Especially if there's an alternative giving me a wink and a beckoning finger showing me how I don't have to sacrifice. See, who says minivans can't be sexy?

Senior Community Member

Going back to the OP--we have a 2005 Nissan Quest, and the 2nd row captain's chairs fold down almost flat. They don't go into the floor, but the floor of the 3rd row is slightly raised, so the 2nd row seats collapse to create an almost flat floor. We've only used it that way a few times.
    In ours, there is unfortunately only one set of LATCH in the 3rd row, and it's the center. I don't know if they fixed that in other model years.

The one thing I really like about the captain's chairs is that you can install an FF seat with LATCH on the captain's chair, and the whole chair can be tilted forward to give access to the 3rd row. In most other minivans, the seatback flips down, so you can't flip the seat to get to the 3rd row if you have a carseat there.
    DS, 11 years, Backless Turbo or seatbelt
    DD, 8 years, 45 lbs, harnessed Nautilus
    DD, 4 years, 35 lbs, True Fit
    DS, 2 years, 26 lbs, RF MyRide