Question travelling outside Canada

mamoomorgan

We will be going to Mexico for 3 weeks in January and I need some car seat advice. My dd's will be 4 and almost 6, right now they are 35 #'s and 40 #'s and riding in an MA and a TrueFit. The True fit is way to big to take on a plane (in my experience the MA barely fit) and they both hate it (I'm in the process of deciding what to replace it with) and the MA was very difficult to install/uninstall on the plane last time.

Soooo...... I was thinking of buying two new cheap car seats in the US to only use on the plane (leaving from the US) and in Mexico. Any ideas what seats would work? I know seated height would help, but I can say for now that they both still fit comfortably in the MA but the 5yo is on the top slots.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. for anyone with an amazing memory... yes we had a similar problem last year. We took the MA and a Canadian scenera. They're both too tall for the scenera now and like I say, the MA was tricky on the plane.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I remember this!!

The Marathon isn't really that bad of an install on planes, you just have to recline when you install and have a skinny hand to get it out afterwards... and in reality, you're not looking for a super amazing install, either. I'd take it, since you know it'll fit in just about any vehicle you're given.. and perhaps a SK Monterey or some other highback for your 5yo? If you're sure you'll have top tethers in the rental, I can lend you a Go and a CARES harness?

-N.

mamoomorgan

Hmmm, thanks for the offer, I did consider that option... but I just would feel better with her in a seat. And on the plane, I think she would be more comfortable being able to lean on the side, we'll be flying home late at night. Also, we may do a fair bit of driving and I think an actual car seat is best.

I do have a HBB Parkway... but I would never use it here so using it in Mexico seems... weird at best. Aside from the cost, is there a reason to not buy a cheap US seat? There's the "Chase DLX Booster Carseat" at Target for $56. Though it doesn't say what the top slots are....

Thanks as always for your input Nicole.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
For the MA, when you said the MA was tricky, how so? It usually is very easy to install, as long as I remember to flip the aircraft female part of the buckle upside down so the release latch would not face the back of the carseat (inside the seatbelt routing cavity).

We are going to Puerto Vallarta in a few weeks and since we don't plan to have a rental and take local buses more, I don't plan to take a carseat for my 3 yrs old. CARES on the plane and a travel vest in PV if we end up taking taxi.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC