I do not think a Frontier is in our future

swtgi1982

I do not think we will have a need for one with my tiny kids. DS2 is now slowing down to follow their suit as well. I mean DD is 4yr 9mon old and still only 36lbs and has a 14.5in torso. DS1 is 3yr 5mon old and 29lbs with a 13.5in torso. So I think anything with decent height slots and and a 50-65lbs limit will do us just fine for a long long time.

ADS

jaded

Same here, if youngest keeps up his growth curve, he'll be just fine in his Radian until around 5 or 6, and then either go in the Nautilus for a year or so harnessed, than as a booster. I lvoe the idea of the Frontier, I just don't think he's going to need it.

aeormsby

My DD is only slightly bigger than yours (4y9m, 38lb, I'd guess 15-16" torso though with short legs). We mainly got a frontier because it was on sale (online return at Target) and we needed another seat so we'd have 2 for each kid again. She still has room to grow in her Marathon in our truck and will probably just move to a booster when she outgrows that (for part time use).

AtTheSouthDam

Yep, that is why we passed up on the frontier for DD2. She simply won't need the weight or height limits unless I plan on harnessing until middle school :p I do love the young sport for her though!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So Britax has taken it too far? Going with high weight and height limits is good for suckering joe shmoe at the store, but it's not good for fooling boardies ;)?
We (all three of my kids, well, the older two have only used it boostered, it's by far their favorite of the dozens we've owned) love the crotch room, leg support, sleep support, excellent booster fit, smooth harness adjuster...that's what makes it worth it, the Nautilus would be annoyingly crotch tight for us now, even the Radian elicits cries of 'it's cutting my neck!' from my 4 yo--same complaint her big sister had in the same seat at 5 and 6-- (and she looks dreadful in a booster, so we are nowhere near that).

Not saying you have to have one, of course, if your kids are happy in their other seats, but boy can it be a supremely comfortable option as they get longer legs but still need some sleep support on long trips (We've also bought dozens of little pillows and whatnot to help nap in the car, and nothing works as well as a booster, my 12 yo was sad when he couldn't sit in it any more on our last long road trip, he was soooo miserable trying to rest his head!)

Mommy0608

I have to agree with Jools. You don't have to have a ginormous kiddo to justify getting a Frontier. ;) My DD is tiny (45" and 30lbs) but we :love::love::love: her Frontier 85! She thinks it's super comfortable, which is a plus because she'll be in it for a while. Personally, I'd rather have too much seat (height/weight limits) than possibly not enough. If I had to do it all over again, I absolutely would choose a Frontier 85. DS will be getting one as soon as he turns FF.

Obviously no seat is perfect for everyone, but I wouldn't rule it out solely on the basis that you won't need the high limits.

AtTheSouthDam

Okay, I admit it then :p I'm not fond of the fabric choices and after the Regent, I'm scared of the larger Britax seats. I didn't like that seat. It was big and comfy and DD1 loved to sit in but I hated finding places to install that beast!!!

I really do love my Young sport though :D and I will happily continue to weigh DD2 to make sure she still fits (34# today ;))

urchin_grey

My 5.5yo is 25lbs. I know how you feel. :p So yeah, at this rate, I'm guessing the Radian it going to last until he's ready for a booster. He definitely wouldn't be ready any time soon though, even if he was heavy/tall enough so its probably a good thing he's so small.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
It's definitely more seat then my little twin will ever need, but I bought him one anyways after getting his brother one and falling in love with it. Although for the next few weeks, he is riding in a rf'ing DC and just BARELY even with the 2nd from the BOTTOM slots. ;)

jaded

Well, IF I need to replace the Radian for some reason, after he is too tall for rearfacing(becase he's 30months old now, and 24lbs, so he won't be outgrowing it by weight) I may end up with the Frontier rather than another Nautilus. I did buy the Radian so that I could use it from birth until booster though.

swtgi1982

No just in theory I really do not need one. I know when I am comfortable with her in a booster she will be fine since she rode in one for the few days until my maestros got fixed. That was the only way to cover all three kids in all cars until then. And she did wonderful even slept 45 min and did not get out of place in the HB turbo and so thus I see no need for one for us personally.
Jenny that is funny your DD is taller then mine and lighter then her.
With two and a half inches height left torso wise in her CA I can not see the need for the 20 in on the frontier giving her five and a half inch torso growth
Also I tried her in one at the store and she did not care for it really. But now had it been pink maybe but they had just the tan one.
She wants the purple butterfly CA65 and her old CA will go to the baby

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC