forward/rear facing vs. side impact support

U

Unregistered

Hi All,

My daughter has been in the britax advocate with the extra side support. I had it rear facing which I thought worked until 35 pounds until I just realized that it is only up to 20 pounds so we turned it (my DD is 22.5 pounds now, 23 months). I got this car seat for the side support becuase we had to move her from the middle to the side. So my questions are:

1. Are there car seats that rear face longer than this that are safer than this one even without the side support? (price is not an issue, safety is first!)

2. If I keep her forward facing she can be on either side of the car (rear facing only fits on the passenger side), should I move her to the driver side, less likely to be hit on the side maybe?

3. For forward facing, now her feet just dangle, this can not be good for her back. What can I do to support her feet?

Thank you all so much!!!

Elisa

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Your seat rear faces to 35 pounds. The wording you're probably reading, "This seat must be used in a rear facing position for an infant under 20 pounds," or something like that is nationally madated wording, and confusing. It means that you cannot use it forward facing under 20 pounds. From 20 to 35 pounds it can be used either way. Above 35 pounds you must use it forward facing.

I'd turn her back rear facing provided she has more than 1" of shell (not headrest) above her head.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Oh, wow! Okay. that must be it! what about their legs... they do push up against the back of the seat. is that safe? I wonder if her knees will push into her in an accident?

and at 35pounds should I turn it around, or is there a seat that rear faces even longer than that?

Thank you all so much!! Elisa

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Their legs are safer rear facing than forward.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U"]YouTube - Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car[/ame]

Not to mention, if her legs were the most important thing you were protecting, carseats would be designed very differently. It's her spine you're trying to protect. She can live without her legs. Not so much without her spine.

There are many seats that rear face past 35 pounds. The Graco My Ride, Safety 1st Complete Airs, Evenflo Triumph 65, Evenflo Momentum, all of the Sunshine Kids Radians, the new Britax line. It's easier to say who isn't rear facing to 40 pounds now (True Fit, Coccoro, Comfortsport, Zeus, and a couple of other seats). But given your daughter's weight, I don't think you'll need anything beyond 35 pounds. It'll likely get you to five or so. She'll outgrow the seat by height before weight, for sure. And depending on when that is, you either turn her in the Advocate, or see what's taller then (there are many seats taller on the market now, so I don't think that'll change much).

Wendy

Mom-of-Two

Based on that current weight, you can rear face a LONG while till 35 lbs! How is her height in the Advocate?

There are so many seats out now to choose from- I think the 35 lb weight limit is fine in your case because she's only 22 lbs at almost 2! :) It would take till at least 4 to get to 35 lbs, if not beyond I'd think.

Side impact protection is BIG on all the new seats right now, so you should have no trouble finding a good one when she outgrows the Advocate. If she outgrows the Advocate by height soon, and you want to still rear face (which is recommended) I'd check out the Complete Air- it has the side wings you'd want and a high shell, that RF to 40 lb and harness to 65 lb. It would last you till booster age, especially since you have a smaller kiddo!

For now, turn her back around! ;)

ALSO- as others have said, it is SUCH a big misconception that you should turn them FF when their legs get scrunched up against the vehicle seat, they don't mind it, will stretch them out up on the seat or cross them, or dangle them over the sides- it is NOT uncomfy, most kids are SO much more comfy in a RF position than when their legs dangle in a FF position- my DD still complained at 4-5 that her legs were "asleep" when in her car seat.

I actually read that it was likely MORE dangerous to the legs when FF because of the impact of the legs with the seat back in front of them, in the force of a crash. There have bot been a lot of studies saying that RF causes any damage to legs. As others have said, I worry SO much more about the head and neck/spine of a child than their legs.

In fact, I am strongly thinking about turning my nearly 3 year old back RF for another year- we turned him because he outgrew his MA by weight a month or two ago (33 lb limit) and I was pleased with keeping him RF till nearly three- however, he's short (not even 36 in)and not gained an oz since, pretty small at his age and I think he'd fit a LONG while in a 40 lb seat so I am considering the CA for him, and selling my MA or using it in DH's car for a FF seat. He has not been comfy in the MA FF like he was RF, in fact he refused to get IN the seat for a few weeks till he accepted the idea and kept climbing in backwards. :) We have BAD Ohio winters as well and am really not OK with him FF now that I am so researched on the issue! :)

HTH!

U

Unregistered

you guys are awesome! Back around she goes. I was more worried about the leg thing to see if the seat could be positioned differently or maybe another seat is better. I am with you, I want her to rear face as long as possible. and i think she will be happy to turn back around! thanks so much :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC