Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Here is a pic of me at 2 years old riding in a 5 pt. harness and I am 37 years old now!!!

This is a pic of me at 2 years of age riding in a Love seat made by GM. It was 1975 and it cost my parents 30$ which of course was a lot of money back then. My mom assures me that normally the straps were not loose like that and we were sitting, not moving. I sat in that seat until I was 6 years old, when my babysitter told my mom I was too old to sit in a carseat. I also had a RF bucket made by GM that I RF in until I was about 1 and that cost 15$. For all those out there that don't think there was anything safe out there, there was and thankfully I was in it! I think that is where I get my carseat passion from.
    Last edited by mlohry; 12-08-2010 at 06:49 PM.
    Monica-former CPST, now just a car-seat safety freak.
    Samuel, 12 yrs, seat belt middle passenger row of our Odyssey.
    Mitchell, 10yrs, back row, Amp.
    Lucy, 6 years, booster. All of us occasionally ride in a Honda Fit.

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Here is a pic of me at 2 years old riding in a 5 pt. harness and I am 37 years old now!!!

Yay! We had the same seat! My mom always said it was made for our station wagon (I'm guessing she meant it was by GM). It had some sort of top tether too! The clasps of the harness were really funky, I could never get it buckled when I played with in the attic later in.
    Cathy
    B-- 6.5y harnessed cowmoo FR85;
    Sl--5y RF RXT;
    H-- 2.5 RF RNXT;M--7mos CCOA--1 mos KF30 and R 1.5 RXT

Carseat Crazy

Re: Here is a pic of me at 2 years old riding in a 5 pt. harness and I am 37 years old now!!!

My parents actually had 2 of them in the early 70's, one for my brother and one for me (14 mo apart). It is great you have a picture, I doubt there are any pictures of us in them. I think ours were black or brown vinyl and I don't really remember riding in it, but I do have vague memories of scorched thighs on hot vinyl. They sat around in the garage for years later.
    Before our first visit out to see them after DS was FF I talked to them about getting a tether anchor retrofitted for their car. My mom said of course I know what a top tether is, your seats 30+ years ago were tethered. Made me laugh, she probably thinks all FF seats have been tethered all along.

Awesome! I changed my siggy.

we had that one, and the bucket too!

My parents were in an accident while bringing my older sister home from the hospital in 1973. My mom was holding her in her arms at the time and the car didn't even have rear seat belts!

After that, my mom REFUSED to go anywhere in the car until they got a safer car and a car seat. I think the bucket and the seat are still in my parent's basement. (Along w/ the crib my mom refuses to get rid of since karma always gets you pregnant when you get rid of those things! Mom, you're 70 now, that isn't going to happen. )
    Mary-Rose: WOHM to M born 12/23/2009 - officially ERF at 24 lbs and 33.5" in her MR65.

CPS Technician

My parents had some sort of harnesses installed (bolted like a top-tether), 3 of them. We wore them and sat on little "booster" seats until we could wear them without the booster. I think we were 5, 8, and 10 when they sold that car. The harness was very similar to the 86Y we still have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Caleb 11 yrs. 70lbs. 55" 5-steps Megan 8.5 yrs. 45lbs. 48" Harmony Literider
    Grace 6 yrs. 40lbs. 42" Nautilus
    Cameron 4 yrs. 34lb. 39" Radian XTSL
    Sally born 4/28 SR35, Zach born 4/28 Combi Coccoro

wow that's great! I think I was in some sort of infant seat, but I remember being in a booster in the front seat from about 3 years. That of course was when I wasn't laying across the back seat sleeping......my mom still thinks that was safe because I had a lap belt on.
    Alice, May 2009, riding in a Frontier
    Astrid, May 2015, riding in a Snugride 30

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlohry View Post
    My mom assures me that normally the straps were not loose like that and we were sitting, not moving.
    I don't know, lol. Judging by the blur on the telephone polls, it looks like the car may have been moving.

I'm 37 too, and my parents also used that same seat for me (and all my siblings, including the sister that's 11 years younger than me. )

ETA: Can you tell we just finished a round of elections up here? It should have been telephone POLES.