Here is a pic of me at 2 years old riding in a 5 pt. harness and I am 37 years old now!!!

mlohry

This is a pic of me at 2 years of age riding in a Love seat made by GM. It was 1975 and it cost my parents 30$ which of course was a lot of money back then. My mom assures me that normally the straps were not loose like that and we were sitting, not moving. I sat in that seat until I was 6 years old, when my babysitter told my mom I was too old to sit in a carseat. I also had a RF bucket made by GM that I RF in until I was about 1 and that cost 15$. For all those out there that don't think there was anything safe out there, there was and thankfully I was in it! I think that is where I get my carseat passion from.

Last edited:
ADS

zeo2ski

Yay! We had the same seat! My mom always said it was made for our station wagon (I'm guessing she meant it was by GM). It had some sort of top tether too! The clasps of the harness were really funky, I could never get it buckled when I played with in the attic later in.

mytwobugs

My parents actually had 2 of them in the early 70's, one for my brother and one for me (14 mo apart). It is great you have a picture, I doubt there are any pictures of us in them. I think ours were black or brown vinyl and I don't really remember riding in it, but I do have vague memories of scorched thighs on hot vinyl. They sat around in the garage for years later.
Before our first visit out to see them after DS was FF I talked to them about getting a tether anchor retrofitted for their car. My mom said of course I know what a top tether is, your seats 30+ years ago were tethered. Made me laugh, she probably thinks all FF seats have been tethered all along.

mrdhollins

we had that one, and the bucket too!

My parents were in an accident while bringing my older sister home from the hospital in 1973. My mom was holding her in her arms at the time and the car didn't even have rear seat belts!

After that, my mom REFUSED to go anywhere in the car until they got a safer car and a car seat. I think the bucket and the seat are still in my parent's basement. (Along w/ the crib my mom refuses to get rid of since karma always gets you pregnant when you get rid of those things! Mom, you're 70 now, that isn't going to happen. :whistle:)

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
My parents had some sort of harnesses installed (bolted like a top-tether), 3 of them. We wore them and sat on little "booster" seats until we could wear them without the booster. I think we were 5, 8, and 10 when they sold that car. The harness was very similar to the 86Y we still have.

amelia222

wow that's great! I think I was in some sort of infant seat, but I remember being in a booster in the front seat from about 3 years. That of course was when I wasn't laying across the back seat sleeping......my mom still thinks that was safe because I had a lap belt on.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My mom assures me that normally the straps were not loose like that and we were sitting, not moving.

I don't know, lol. ;) Judging by the blur on the telephone polls, it looks like the car may have been moving. :whistle:

I'm 37 too, and my parents also used that same seat for me :thumbsup: (and all my siblings, including the sister that's 11 years younger than me. :rolleyes:)

ETA: Can you tell we just finished a round of elections up here? It should have been telephone POLES. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC